Safaga to Cairo?

Machta

Hello friends!  We are considering the cruise in November from Rome to Safaga, Egypt.  We've never been to the Middle East.  Does anyone have any experience getting from Port Safaga to the Cairo airport?

I  have traveled from Hurghada to Cairo airport many times by bus, plane and night bus. Safaga is about an hour from Hurghada and the closest airport.

I highly, highly recommend taking a taxi from Safaga and flying from Hurghada to Cairo. The bus ride is long and bumpy and unless it's a financial reason or you want a real Egyptian experience you're going to waste a lot of time. I've also had buses break down a non-zero number of times, especially the local minibuses that operate as buses on the route. 

Alternately, I suppose you could rent a car. But be aware the roads are in rough shape for a lot of the drive and there are frequent checkpoints - or were last time I did the route. I would not drive, take a bus or taxi if you are on a tight schedule.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, angelsil said:

I  have traveled from Hurghada to Cairo airport many times by bus, plane and night bus. Safaga is about an hour from Hurghada and the closest airport.

I highly, highly recommend taking a taxi from Safaga and flying from Hurghada to Cairo. The bus ride is long and bumpy and unless it's a financial reason or you want a real Egyptian experience you're going to waste a lot of time. I've also had buses break down a non-zero number of times, especially the local minibuses that operate as buses on the route. 

Alternately, I suppose you could rent a car. But be aware the roads are in rough shape for a lot of the drive and there are frequent checkpoints - or were last time I did the route. I would not drive, take a bus or taxi if you are on a tight schedule.

Thank you for your detailed advice!  I really appreciate it!