How far from IAH?

JUST RECEIVED MY 1st DOCUMENT BOOK ! ! ! I expected tons of paper but received this COOL book ! ! :D My kids think it's the best things they've ever seen ...

Checking out my flights ... we arrive at IAH (provided the flights arent' late) at 1pm ... is that cutting it close?

Also, our return flight leaves IAH at 2:30 ... would it be best for us to disembark EARLY?

That is a bit close. Are you using the cruise line transportation? If I remember right, 1pm is the latest that they allow you to come in. I usually get my own transport but since your cutting it a bit close, I would get the transfers through the cruise line. They will usually wait if they know your flight is only slightly delayed. We waited on a bus for about 45 minutes once because a flight was late getting in.

The trip back, you will be fine. We have gone out of IAH 3 times and were always at the airport before 11am.

Traffic is always terrible in Houston. This is one time I would use the ships transfer, its a long trip and anything can happen on 45, the main road to Galveston. If you use the ships transfer you are safe.

It's about 70 miles from IAH to the cruise terminal. And, as has been mentioned, Houston traffic is awful.

A 1pm arrival is cutting is very close if you are on your own. If the air was booked through RCCL you should be okay as they are then responsible to get you to the ship on time and will even hold it if you're late.

Good luck and enjoy your first cruise assuming you make it to the ship. ;)

Being from Houston all my life I can admit that traffic is bad here, but no different than many other places/cities and find it is no different. Boston is bad, LA is bad, Chicago is horrendous, but I guess they are cruising from there either.

You will likely be arriving on a Saturday or Sunday so the traffic that is "so bad" only occurs on weekday rush hours. You should, or the bus driver should have little problems with traffic from the IAH/Bush airport to the Galveston port. It is about 50-60 miles, so it woun't be a short trip, but traffice is less a fear than weather delaying your flight.

You will read many threads on here that your best pre-caution if you have the opportunity is to come in the day before, relax, have a nice dinner, wake up calmly and proceed to the port. Yes, this requires extending the trip a day and paying for a hotel, but I call it "trip insurance" that you not only pay for, but you get something back for it.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

JUST RECEIVED MY 1st DOCUMENT BOOK ! ! ! I expected tons of paper but received this COOL book ! ! My kids think it's the best things they've ever seen ...

Checking out my flights ... we arrive at IAH (provided the flights arent' late) at 1pm ... is that cutting it close?

Also, our return flight leaves IAH at 2:30 ... would it be best for us to disembark EARLY?

If you bought them thru the cruiseline, which it sounds like you did, since you said you just got the document book and are checking out your flights, then no worry. 230 retn? No early disembark needed. Last year I waited with some friends until about 1030 to leave the ship, they were flying out of IAH, I live here in Houston, I had to drop off someone at Hobby first, pick up someone else and then we proceed to IAH, there was a wreck on the freeway causing delays in the area near the airport, but we still made it by just after noon, their flight was for 130. The cruiseline will help you with your departure time, so dont worry.

Yep, since it's our first cruise, all booked throught RCCL. Thought the extra cost of their flights and transfers was worth the peace of mind. My only worry now is the transfer in Atlanta ... ugh.

Thanks so much for all of the info, more at ease about "timing". One more thing to take off the "worry list". :p

You are cruising! No worries!

I know the first time is a bit stressful because you dont know what to expect.

When you arrive at IAH, proceed to baggage claim, claim your luggage and find the RCCL Rep, they will get you help with your luggage, show you where to go to catch the shuttle bus to the ship and then once you arrive at the port, you will unload, pass your luggage off to a porter, keep some dollars handy to tip since these folks are not paid by the cruiseline, they work for those tips, proceed into the building, where you will just follow everyone. You will go thru an airport type security thing, then proceed to the check in lines, have your paperwork handy, then you will go get your boarding photo made, go thru another security check, where they will take your photo for the computer so when you scan your card coming onto the ship they know it is you, then on board you go! Find your cabin, dump your carry on stuff, head up to the Windjammer for lunch, explore a bit, do muster drill, then time for sail away! Now the rest is a breeze cause you are CRUISING!!!

Just back from the Rhapsody and Don't Worry be Happy the time to the ship from IAH is 1 hour and 20 minutes so you have lots of time and because you did everything with the cruiseline you are covered. And the very last people leaving the ship on the way back is around 10:00 am so you have lots of time. But one reminder is to be organised about what excursions you would like to do because their is usually lots of cruise ships at Grand Cayman and Cozumel and all ships have to tender in all of their guest so some of the popular excursions can go fast. If you are planning an excursion with the ship do it as soon as you get on and should not have any problems but if you plan on doing your own on land they tend to book pretty quick in the morning when everyone is getting of of the ships.

You are cruising! No worries!

I know the first time is a bit stressful because you dont know what to expect.

When you arrive at IAH, proceed to baggage claim, claim your luggage and find the RCCL Rep, they will get you help with your luggage, show you where to go to catch the shuttle bus to the ship and then once you arrive at the port, you will unload, pass your luggage off to a porter, keep some dollars handy to tip since these folks are not paid by the cruiseline, they work for those tips, proceed into the building, where you will just follow everyone. You will go thru an airport type security thing, then proceed to the check in lines, have your paperwork handy, then you will go get your boarding photo made, go thru another security check, where they will take your photo for the computer so when you scan your card coming onto the ship they know it is you, then on board you go! Find your cabin, dump your carry on stuff, head up to the Windjammer for lunch, explore a bit, do muster drill, then time for sail away! Now the rest is a breeze cause you are CRUISING!!!

I appreciate what you wrote! I know what to expect as well. Thank you. No worries, no grey hairs, just fun, sun and relaxation!

Dona

Just back from the Rhapsody

All I've heard is the best about Rhaspsody :) Guess I made the right choice for our 1st cruise ;)

Thanks everyone :D , my biggest fear now is keep 3 teenagers in line :cool:

We are in a JS ... will this change the embarcation at all?

Archived