Veendam and Hack CD Thom Faulkner

Easternfront

My Wife and I have been traveling on Holland America for many years and we always really enjoy our experience onboard, it is why we have been on over 52 Holland America Cruises. We just disembarked the ms Veendam's March 4th western Caribbean sailing. Overall we had a great time. Our Cabin boy Mifta was exemplary, as well as our wait staff in the dining room and the bar waitress Jennifer in the Ocean bar. Holland has done a remarkable job upgrading the Veendam with new carpets, linens, matrices, refurbishing the lido, and creating great spaces like the Explorations Cafe. The collection of books is unrivaled by any other line. These types of improvements show to me that Holland America really cares about its product and it has a vision of where it is trying to go.

What I don't seem to understand is after spending all of this money why would they put such an untalented, unpersonable, uneducated Hack as Thom Falukner as Cruise Director. My first experience with Thom (pronounced Tom, I did not misspell his name) or should I say lack of experience was at the Suit Welcome party where he breezed in stood in the corner and ate snacks. He would continually look at his watch and after about 5 minutes he bolted out as a fellow suit guest was coming up to start a conversation. At this point I didn't really know who this person was. My next experience with Thom was on the first sea day, where I seemed to always be hearing his voice on the PA system. I believe he made around 10 announcements that day. We travel on Holland America for the peace and quite that is usually provided, very few children, few announcements, no crazy loud activities. I thought I would go talk to Thom in the evening as most cruise directors would be walking around the ship and highly visible. I spoke to a young man who I thought was Thom, but it turned out to be his assistant Gary. For most of the cruise we NEVER saw Thom, we just heard all of his obnoxious PA announcements. That man really likes the sound of his own voice. For such a visible position we NEVER SAW HIM. We just came off the Amsterdam where John Chalenger was Cruise Director and you always saw John walking around talking to guests, in the day time, in the evening, all of the time.

The only time you saw Thom was when he was onstage during show time. He is horrible onstage. He doesn't seem to ever know what he is saying. He constantly stumbles over his words. He was unsure of simple facts such as if the ship would be anchored or docked the next day. He has no energy, no life, no charisma. He is extremely pompous and arrogant. I know Holland has catered to an older cliental, but we are not dead. He just sounds stupid and insulting onstage. He obviously doesn't know where he is, he obviously doesn't know the product of Holland America, and he obviously should not be onboard.

I'll be sailing aboard Veendam in a few weeks. Should be interesting. I appreciated your update on Veendam's hardware, though!

I'm almost thinking that Thom was cruise staff aboard the Ryndam nearly two years ago and I was surprised to see that he is now cruise director. I might be mixed up between two people, though. How old is this guy? The one I'm thinking of is probably in his mid-twenties?

I sailed with tom in febuary... he really doesn't know where he is... during showtime, he called the ship the wind surf, then the volendam... I'm guessing he came from wind star. He's like 56 or something, with really bad hair dye and plugs. He sucks. However, if you remove him from the picture the cruise was great. excelent service, great rooms, and great weather... what more could you want? I agree... Thom should be fired. That or go in for some major training to learn how to be a cruise director.

WOW! I really feel badly for you guys. I was on the Veendam Sep/Nov '05 and John Challenger was the CD then. In Jan/Feb we were on the Amsterdam and lucky us, there was John Challenger again. We've been very blessed that we had such a great CD for so long on board. You have my sincere sympathy.

Trisha

Archived