Dive/snorkel on same boat?

oldmedic

Does any one know of an operator in Grand Cayman or Cozumel that will allow both divers and snorkelers on the same boat, and offers a resort course? We have a group of 8 going in December to key west,G.C. and Cozumel. soem of us are certified, one wants to do an intro to scuba and some just want to snorkel. trying to find a service that can accomidate all of us on one boat. Thanks!!

In Cozumel both Blue Angel and Eagleray divers offer combo snorkel/dive trips. I'm pretty sure that with a group of 8, you could charter your own boat for the day and do what you decided. Dive with Martin comes to mind for a boat charter.

In GCM, I think neptune's divers will do a combo snorkel/scuba trip and with 8 people you will have the whole boat to yourselves if you can reserve it far enough in advance. There is another dive operator that does whole boat charters, but I can't remember the name.

I've been searching around with not much luck on this subject, maybe my search skills need some refinement. Anyways, I have the same question, specifically in either Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman or Costa Maya. I've sent Neptunes an email asking them, but the deal is this: It's just my wife and I, so we're not going to charter a whole boat, and my wife is pregnant so obviosly diving is out this trip. I'd still like to get some diving in without feeling like I'm ditching her so if she could ride along and then snorkel I think that would work.

The Dive Inn on Bonaire does both on same boat. They have trips out to Klein Bonaire as well as other good dive/snorkel locations.

Their boats are plain vanilla so to speak with no food or drinks but they run a good safe operation. We went snorkeling and diving both with them this past December. They did a great job and their prices were very reasonable.

Hope this helps.

.... I'd still like to get some diving in without feeling like I'm ditching her so if she could ride along and then snorkel I think that would work.
You might consider going to the turtle farm location of http://www.divetech.com You can dive there, she can snorkel, and you both can eat at the restaurant there (sorry, but I forget the name).

You can do the same at Eden Rock, but the dive site isn't quite as good.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Cozumel and used Blue Angel. It was good for the divers and OK for the snorkelers. I've been dealing with the Scuba/Snorkel issue since my older daughter and I dive and my wife and younger daughter don't. Combo boats either suck for the divers or the snorkelers. We also did a combo boat in Costa Maya and ended up diving in 15 feet of water--ridiculous.

It's also hard to watch my wife and daughter being treated as second class citizens on these boats as they tend to treat snorkelers.

I think it's best to dive from dive boats, snorkel from snorkel boats, and find some other activity to do together.

We used Scuba with Alison last week for a combo trip off the Legend of the Seas in Cozumel. We had four divers and three snorkelers. One diver and the snorkelers from my family. It is, as the previous poster said, a compromise to do it this way but this way a family can be together. Alison DMed the divers and had another DM (Carlos) for the snorkelers. There was no second class treatment of the snorkelers. She also chose sites that worked for both as best as you can.

My whole family loved it. It was my 15 YO daughter's first ocean dive. I couldn't dive because of an emergency root canal (booh hooh) and Alison was great with my daugher. I had just done my AOW with Alison a month before and she ran a great operatoin that week as well.

thanks for all the replies!! we booked with off the wall divers in GC. They offered an intro to scuba course, and combo dive/snorkel trip that our whole family can go on the same boat. They also offer a dive in cozumel from a sister company that if one does the intro to scuba in GC, they can also do another dive in Coz. at a reduced price. hope we are pleased with their services anyone heard anything about them or used them before?

I just got back from Cozumel and used Blue Angel. It was good for the divers and OK for the snorkelers. I've been dealing with the Scuba/Snorkel issue since my older daughter and I dive and my wife and younger daughter don't. Combo boats either suck for the divers or the snorkelers. We also did a combo boat in Costa Maya and ended up diving in 15 feet of water--ridiculous.

It's also hard to watch my wife and daughter being treated as second class citizens on these boats as they tend to treat snorkelers.

I think it's best to dive from dive boats, snorkel from snorkel boats, and find some other activity to do together.

I agree wholeheartedly! I'm certified but don't dive because of ear problems but try to stick with hubby on the boat and at least snorkel. But always run into that same problem. Once time I was snorkeling in 40 feet of water. I think I saw some coral. Fun stuff! :)

Archived