Late check-in and boarding – any experience?

travelswithK

Just checked in online at the 21-day mark for my cruise and the earliest boarding time is 4 p.m., which I selected. I am sailing on the Joy out of New York May 14, and I understand the later departure of 11 p.m. is because the ship will be coming up from Miami without passengers and docking in New York around noon.

This is only my second cruise, but from what I understand, a later boarding is not typical. I am travelling from Upstate and was able to change my train tickets until later in the day but still not cutting it too close.

My feeling is that there will be a mob of tired, luggage-schlepping tourists converging on the port at or before 4 p.m. (despite their assigned time) because they no longer have the energy or interest to kill time in NYC anymore, which I totally get. Has anyone had any experience with these later boarding times?

I’m a big planner, but I am kind of a go-with-the-flow kind of gal when it comes to waiting in lines. This time though I will have my elderly dad with me and he has stamina/mobility issues. I’ve secured wheelchair boarding for him (despite his grumbling that it makes him “feel old”), but I’m just wondering if there is anything else I need to be aware of to make things easier on him.

Follow-up question: Does the USS Intrepid have a coat/bag check where we could stow our luggage while enjoying the museum?

Edited by travelswithK

We just disembarked the Epic Saturday in NYC.   We walked off the ship at 945a and the porters were already accepting luggage for those boarding that day.  You might be able to check your luggage early and then head to the Intrepid.   

From the Intrepid site.

Does the Museum offer bag and coat check facilities?
The Museum does not offer bag and coat check facilities. All belongings, including bags, strollers and luggage must remain with visitors at all times.

Strollers, large bags and luggage are not permitted in the submarine or Concorde.

1 hour ago, jimsig said:

We just disembarked the Epic Saturday in NYC.   We walked off the ship at 945a and the porters were already accepting luggage for those boarding that day.  You might be able to check your luggage early and then head to the Intrepid.   

From the Intrepid site.

Does the Museum offer bag and coat check facilities?
The Museum does not offer bag and coat check facilities. All belongings, including bags, strollers and luggage must remain with visitors at all times.

Strollers, large bags and luggage are not permitted in the submarine or Concorde.

Good to know about the Intrepid. I think there might be a private bag check company so I'll have to keep doing some research.

• Like 1

Cruise companies would loved to see all passengers adhere to their checkin time. I get off ship at 8am and I see people waiting to get on board.  As travelswithK mentioned, porters should be there to accept your bags.  So check the big bags and just carry personal items.  Interpid is only couple blocks away.

Edited by ashank1m

there may be another issue at play here.

also sailing out of manhattan on may 14 is the prima, on a transatlantic to reykjavik.

that ship is scheduled to sail at 5 PM, so - just a guess - some of the terminal's personnel and resources will be devoted to the prima departure before turning their attention to the joy. there is more than one berth (pier), so that's no problem... my spidey sense tells me, however, that some personnel may be doing double duty on that - apparently - very busy day.

as for your tired, luggage-schlepping tourists yearning to be set free at sea... yeah, that occurs on every embarkation, regardless of departure time or check-in time.