Shows on QM2

Malinda1229

My daughter and I are taking our 3rd cruise on the QM2 in as many years. I am wondering and hoping that the shows have changed. The past 2 times the shows were, Appassionata, Rock at the Opera and a Judy Garland tribute. Can someone who has been on the QM2 tell me if these shows are still running?

I hate to tell you this, but I think they are the same. I understand that Rock at the Opera was "updated" though I cannot say, since I never saw it before. We dd not go see the Judy Garland one. We got there late for Rock at the Opera and were not terribly excited about it. Appassionata was good, thought not as good as I had expected based on its description. (We were on the 3-15 January Panama expedition)

The dance troupe on the Cunard Crown cruises were always much more exciting to us, (The Ray Kennedy Entertainers? Or was that another cruise line?) Another thing I noticed is that the entertainment, by and large was keyed definitely to our British friends more than Americans and tended to edge more towards classical than pop or "Broadway" (What Londoners call West End, I gather.) Nothing wrong with any of that, except for the repetativeness. We alwys loved the shows on previous cruises, especially with the company's singers and dancers. They had such vivacity and their personalities came out in their indiviidual styles, even while doing group movements. It took us practically the whole cruise to figure out that there were a couple who were supposed to be singers, seperate from the dancers. Previous troupes, the members were both, even if a couple were more stars than the others. It had less of an ensemble feel to me, and I didn't get the feeling the troupe was connecting with each other, the songs and dances performed, or the audience. Maybe they, too, were bored with the same ol, same ol'. That's just my opinion, and I realize that art is highly subjective. Don't get me wrong. They were very talented. But I do think they need to mix it up a bit more, regardless of the type of entertainment you prefer.

Karie, who may be a cruise critic, but couldn't pay the mortgage as an entertainment critic

I wonder about Cunard and their entertainment policy especially with regard to next year's QM2 World Cruise. They have never been renowned for opening their purse strings, in my opinion, and I continue to be concerned about what they plan to present to people who will be on board for, now, eighty one days. Rock at the Opera, etc repeated every fourteen days or so doesn't hold much appeal.

On our last trip several wonderful shows were available as matinees, a greatly appreciated addition. A high energy harpist, Shirley Dominguez, who has performed at the Bush White House, and has many CD's of her compositions and concerts, gave an electrifying performance. I believe she was from Montevideo. A well known British violinist, Claire Gobin, gave a wonderful concert from classical to "fiddle" solos, backed up by the Royal Court Theater orchestra. Bob Arno, also presented an afternoon matinee on the "Serious Side of Stealing" demonstrating the techniques pick-pockets and scam artists use on tourists. His evening show was a a very entertaining comedic approach to the same subject. Don't be discouraged about good shows. With the many locally booked additions, there will be more than you will be able to attend.

Rick

I wonder about Cunard and their entertainment policy especially with regard to next year's QM2 World Cruise... Rock at the Opera, etc repeated every fourteen days or so doesn't hold much appeal.

Yes, I quite agree, one rock opera to many and "one" might be tempted to jump over the ship's rail!!.

People booking the full world cruise should beware if the entertainment stays the same. During our 'round the Horn cruise everything was repeated three times and what's more, the film, comedy and drama channels showing on the TV never changed and they were dire at best! Yet this was sold and marketed as a unique voyage.

Looking back, it now seems obvious that the entertainment staff were working to a 14 day cruise timetable that just looped. 3 pirate's balls when a pair might have been enough for any aspiring pirate... has to be a joke in there somewhere??

Even the pub quiz questions repeated, along with the jokes. Ed and Zack (the quizmasters) had to work overtime, as us 38 dayers would shout out the answers if we'd heard them before, which was funny to start with, but quickly got boring.

I think the whole thing is very tired now especially when some people are on their third, fourth or more repeat cruises.

Ray the entertainments manager needs to "extract finger" or move over and let somebody else have a go.

Finally, a word about the piano players... OH, how I wish it had been the piano's that got damaged and left behind in FL rather than the engine pod. Enough said!

Jack(onland)

Good to see you posting. Have been wondering how you both were feeling and hadn't seen any update. Hope all is well now and you're fit as a fiddle...whatever that silly phrase means! Cheers...Penny (one of your legion of jackatsea fans!)

Even the pub quiz questions repeated, along with the jokes. Ed and Zack (the quizmasters) had to work overtime, as us 38 dayers would shout out the answers if we'd heard them before, which was funny to start with, but quickly got boring.

Jack(onland)

Please tell me that at least they did not repeat the question which was patently WRONG- someing about the science of color-Chromatics or something like that but they said something way off- Can't remember now-CruiserKing do you remember that one?

Glad to have you back "on board" Jack!

Karie,

Who REALLY apprecated your taking us aboard with you!

Jack, I hope you and the Mrs. are both back up to par.

A friend's mother, an Academy Award-winning actress/singer, was once a frequent entertainer on QE2. Eventually she was told her fee was higher than what Cunard was willing to pay.

You get what you pay for...

My daughter and I are taking our 3rd cruise on the QM2 in as many years. I am wondering and hoping that the shows have changed. The past 2 times the shows were, Appassionata, Rock at the Opera and a Judy Garland tribute. Can someone who has been on the QM2 tell me if these shows are still running?

The main singing and dancing shows on the Royal Hawaiian Liner were the same. However, I found the following solo entertainers really good. Either by coincidence or by design the three featured lady musicians, Clair Gobin - violin, Suzanne Godfrey - flute and Philippa Healey - voice, were contemporaries at the Cheetham School of Music in Manchester in their earlier years. I lived in the Manchester area and struck up conversations with them after the show when they were selling their CD's. They were all excellent.

In my opinion the most poignant show of this trip was in the evening we were docked in Honololu when a troupe of 6 to 13 year old Hawaiian children, all girls except for three boys, performed a variety of Hawaiian dances. The three featured boys had won major awards in their dance "careers". They were spectacular for the want of a better word. The key dancers parents provided the music. The applause at all the shows I had previously attended was muted. At this event the kids brought the house down with a standing ovation. Glad that I did not miss this. The promotion in the Ship's Daily Newspaper did not even hint of the treat that awaited us.

I agree that Cunard needs to re-think how they use their singers and dancers to add variety over longer cruises. Of course, the Planeterium shows were very engaging. I was surprised that the classes in Microsoft Office Programs were fully booked up to overflowing.

All I can suggest is to relax and enjoy other pursuits like the library, spa and the deck if the weather is warm. And continue to enjoy Xtasea, the West Indies band that was ont of the best I've heard. Their range of music was quite impressive.

Have fun. I could take three cruises on the QM2 in a heartbeat!

Edwin

Good to see you posting. Have been wondering how you both were feeling and hadn't seen any update. Hope all is well now and you're fit as a fiddle...whatever that silly phrase means! Cheers...Penny (one of your legion of jackatsea fans!)

Penny and All,

Thanks for your get well messages. We're both still suffering from the stomach bug. We did have some samples tested all of which came back normal. I now get 4 or 5 days clear of symptoms and then 2 days wiped out. Ann's bug works directly opposite, 2 days clear 5 days wiped.

I'm sure things will clear up eventually.

I've not really had time to finally finish my blog at jackatsea.com. However, I do plan to write a summary of 2006's voyage and maybe make a start on my next cruise diary scheduled to begin 2060 on Cunard's super liner the "King Alfred" (KA1), gotta book early for the best prices LOL... now that would make a good book!!!

Jack(onland)

Actually I think Rock the Opera has been playing since QM2's first crossing, I'm not sure.

Some may think it's not the highest quality show, but I like it. I saw it twice, and I think it's great fun. In truth, I'll see it again and enjoy it.

start on my next cruise diary scheduled to begin 2060 on Cunard's super liner the "King Alfred" (KA1), gotta book early for the best prices LOL... now that would make a good book!!!

Jack(onland)

Jack, I wouldn't put 592 quarksons down on that maiden (or would it be master- since it's an Albert) voyage. They might give it over to P&O Dubai Ocean Liners, ports and body armor PLC, LLC, INC, GmbH, PHD. Or the quarzapods might not be ready yet. And I have heard they may not be able to make the first four ports of Mars, Alpha Centauri and Romulus/Remus if they are going on only 27 quarzapods per side. Then what would you have? Just an interplanetary line voyage. And at that, on the dark side where there is nothing to see! Heck, Even the zardon pools might not be open!

Just don't put any money down.

And whatever you do, don't book the shore excursion to see the prancing centaurs!

Sorry you and Ann are still feeling under the weather. Sounds like the Jack Pratt and his wife, thing only at the opposite end! <eeew!>

Any word on whether any other passengers who were ill are still also suffering the same symptoms? You might want to stay in touch with the passengers if you got any addresses or the ship's Doctor or someone. If you all share notes, and someone comes up with something, it may give hope (and hopefully heath) to someone else! I know this is a stupid question, but has Cunard offered to do anything for you?

You might also want to get in touch ewith the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) for the US in Atlanta GA, who keep track of shipborne illnesses. It is something they may want to track, especially if it is something from the Peru stop or something they can warn other travelers to beware of. (I think it was Peru, no?) On this webpage

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

on the lower right hand side,there is an 800 number (probably US only), but also a link for an email form, should you wish to contact them. I would explain what happened to you and ask them if they are aware of any other instances of such symptoms from the places you visited. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but your helath is very important. And I worry about Ann getting dehydrated again. All sort s of bad things can happen then (I KNOW you'll drink plenty <LOL>) Seriously, I worry about you two. Please take care of yourselves.

Karie,

Who worries about my good friends Ann and Jack

And I worry about Ann getting dehydrated again. All sort s of bad things can happen then (I KNOW you'll drink plenty <LOL>) Seriously, I worry about you two. Please take care of yourselves.

LOL

I've found these wonderful tablets that stop all "leaks". When you add them to a G&T the colour turns to a royal blue... now that's class.

Seems to have fixed things.

Jack

I've not really had time to finally finish my blog at jackatsea.com. However, I do plan to write a summary of 2006's voyage...

Jack(onland)

Jack, it is great to see your JackAtSea moniker again.

Must say that I'm very much looking forward to you fleshing out your Round the Americas blog, and possibly reading about some of your unreported days.

Many of us didn't write to you and Ann when you were at sea because we didn't want to clog up your inbox. We're pleased you both made it home safely, though sorry to hear that you are still recovering.

Chris

Archived