Dumb question - Olivia Cruises

vuittonmom

Can a straight woman ever go on these, just to get away from men for a bit? I was beaten by my ex-husband for 8 years, and I'm not gay, I just don't trust men anymore. What would happen if someone straight, just afraid of men went on one of these? I just went on a regular cruise and got "hit on" quite a bit and I just have no interest anymore - would this be a way I could relax and have a fun vacation and be away from men?

Try an all gay cruise like RSVP, that way you can have fun with men without worrying about their intentions, maybe this will help you trust men again. RSVP cruises have gay men, gay women, some straight couples and straight women. The only straight single men on these cruises work on the ship.

Thanks everyone! I'll do that. I know it's silly after so many years to be so frightened still, but it just never seems to go away. I had my jaw fractured, both cheekbones, four ribs and an arm, and then he started in on my oldest daughter which is when I finally got brave enough to leave. My ex-husband looked a little like a professor (which he was) and at first it was hard to make people even believe what was going on (he was a professional, wore saddle shoes and golfed, if you get my drift). I've tried dating, but even the slightest raised voice and I have nightmares. He tried to set my sweater on fire, with lighter fluid. I just like my girlfriends and they are pretty much who I trust. I just don't ever want to feel controlled again. I have gay friends, both sexes, and straight friends. But men . . . I just don't know that I could go there again. I lost all my self-esteem and it has taken 11 years just to get that back. I'm successful now, bought a home, raised my kids (two in college now) - just don't enjoy being around men - too many trust issues. Just too scared. I still wake up in the middle of the night sweating and frightened.

• 2 weeks later...

vuittonmom, it is absolutely not silly. It sounds like you really went through an awful experience, and I am glad you came out the other side. Healing takes time, don't feel you should be rushing yourself.

Treven is right about getting hit on by women - I'm sure Olivia allows straight women on board (I don't think they ask!) but they are pretty much exclusively gay so it would be quite likely that other passengers assumed you were gay, too.

I like GlennKNJ's idea - try an RSVP cruise. I should warn you that it is 90% men, or more. If you aren't sure you want to be quite that surrounded by men (even those who have no sexual interest in you whatsoever) then you might want to think twice, but if you would be okay with it then I think you would have a great time. My only other caution would be that if you look feminine you might get a few sideways glances. I think I was the ONLY femme woman on the RSVP trip I took, and that was out of about 150 women! I know there were whispers about whether or not I was actually gay, but if you are upfront about the fact that you ARE straight (but friendly to gay people) you shouldn't have a problem.

hi..

My partner and I are Olivia travelers. We are going on our 3rd trip with them in 3 weeks . The answer is yes you would be able to go absolutely!! They don't ask at all which was mentioned on a prior post. This being said..the majority of passengers are lesbian so it would be up to you where your comfort level is. They bring in their own entertainers and some reflect the gay/lesbian culture and others do not. Although I feel you would have a safe environment I don't know that you would have the enjoyment level you may have with a regular cruise. hope you find that safe feeling again..

kellie

You can definitely go on an Olivia cruise and you don't really have to worry about being hit on. That really doesn't happen that much on those cruises; most of the passengers are couples anyway. I think you should find a friend and go on the cruise even though it will cost you a bit more money than a straight cruise. I am very sure you will have a great time if you go and don't worry.

My partner and i are going on our first Olivia cruise in two weeks. I suggest that you go over to olivia.com and post on the message board there and see what response you get. I'm betting you would be most welcome.

• 1 year later...
What ship are they using for Antarctica?

That's odd...I don't see it on their schedule anymore. I think they might have replaced it with the Scandinavian cruise they just announced? I don't know.

Archived