Port or Airport for Port Everglades?

Yup, my title may be a bit misleading because I'm actually looking for a car?

Ā 

A few years ago we made landfall in Miami after a perfect transatlantic cruise. A number of other cruises ended the same morning in Miami and the AVIS office downtown was swamped. The wait was long and they expedited the cars to us as the were dropped by people going onto the cruise ships. We were eager to get on the road and start driving, but it seemed that the car rental company was totally surprised that we (and a lot of others) had preordered cars... This time I am holding reservations at both the FLL airport car rental office and the Port EvergladesĀ car rental office to expedite our transition from cruising the waves to cruising the streets.

Ā 

So, what's your latest and best experience when it comes to picking up a post cruise AVIS rental car? Where's the best selection and the shortest wait?

Anything near the port is going to be congested. My recommendation would be to take a taxi or rideshare to the Rental Car Center at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and pick up your car there. Every rental company has a location there and are staffed for large volumes of passengers. You can then hit the road right away.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Anything near the port is going to be congested. My recommendation would be to take a taxi or rideshare to the Rental Car Center at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and pick up your car there. Every rental company has a location there and are staffed for large volumes of passengers. You can then hit the road right away.

Ā 

Thank you for your input - just what I was thinking šŸ‘