Bringing wine board

dcc617

I have a question regarding taking in on board with you. We plan on taking a few bottle and just pay the corkage. But I was told that you only take labels that Celebrity doesn't offer onboard. It's always been my understanding that as long as you don't go overboard, it's ok.

Anyone have experience with this?

So - I called the Captain's Club 3 times this morning and got 3 answers. Did you consume in your room or take it to the dining room? Just curious. 2 of the bottles we're planning to take are expensive vintages and I don't want them taken.

We always bring wine aboard on Celebrity and have never had a problem. How are you supposed to even know if they offer the same wine since they don't publicize their wine list and change it constantly? You can have any wine sent to the dining room without a problem. I even found that the charging of corkage was hit or miss. Sometimes we didn't get charged at all! We bring some of our own and buy some of theirs. We just usually have a few bottles of our own that we know we like, then sample some new ones from their list.

We always bring wine aboard. Two years ago we took sons and daughter in laws on the 10 day Galaxy cruise out of Baltimore. Between the six of us, we brought about 25 bottles of wine, packed in our suitcases and carryons. We would have 2 bottles at dinner, usually one red, one white.

We told the wine steward in advance and there was no problem.

Our son works for a California winery, so our wine was unusual for the Celebrity stewards. We ALWAYS asked them to share the wine (and they always did). By the end of the cruise, we had 3 or 4 stewards asking for a taste of our wines. They kept all the bottles to see if they could get Celebrity to order for later cruises.

We paid the $15 corkage fee, but midway through the cruise, we did not get charged each night.

On our last Celebrity cruise last fall on the Summit (Mexican Riviera) we had our own wine each night. Not a problem.

Wine has gotten to be quite expensive on cruise ships (unlike a few years ago when they were somewhat reasonable), so bringing your favorite wine on board is a good way to go. A good bottle of wine ($20-30 at retail) is likely to be twice or three times the retail cost on ship. Just add the $15 fee and do the math.

We love good champagne but have a problem with the prices on board. So on our cruise on Mercury we bought 6 bottles of Champagne (French) in a liquor store in Vancouver (very reasonably prices) and took them on board. We made sure they were delivered each day to our wine steward so they were cold and waiting for us at dinner (this was a cruise for DD and myself with grandkids) I do not think we paid corkage on every bottle.

After I hit the Blackout Bingo for $****. I treated us to a bottle of Cristal and it was very very good. I do agree it has gotten way over priced but it was their money at that time I was spending.

this upcoming cruise we plan to shop for wine and champagne to take on board, hopefully we will find good prices in Amsterdam or on our stop in Le Harve.

If you bring the wine aboard in your checked luggage, you will probably not have any problem. But here is what happened to us on our recent 3/6 trip on Zenith:

We had thought bringing wine onboard was ok. We had it in our carry-on and the xray machine showed it. They confiscated it. It was a bottle of champagne for sailaway. We told our cabin steward about it and he got us a bottle of Celebrity champagne to replace it--free of charge. And the next day we found our original bottle on our stateroom table. Needless to say, our steward received an extra large tip from us.

The liquor stores are "state" run and most are the same. We actually went to 2 of them to get the "name" champagne we wanted. There is one near the docks - I do not have name now but Google Liquor Stores and you will find the information that is how I got it. Had locations and even prices.

Sorry,

Francine

That is such a hit and miss type question...it really just depends on who is checking you through. Several of us took many bottles of wine on our recent (3/9) Galaxy cruise but one of our fellow cruisers who had only one bottle of wine, had the wine confiscated! They would not return it to her cabin...indicated that she could have it in the dining room. You would have better luck if you pack it in your larger suitcase and not in your carryon if you plan to consume some in your cabin.

Archived