Santorini and Mykonos options without ship excursion

mcberry

Hello,

We (family of including 2 teens) will be on Odyssey of the Seas June 18-25 and are looking to plan our days in Santorini and Mykonos. All of the ship's excursions are sold out, so we're looking for options in walking distance or private tours. I'm admittedly behind in terms of planning so haven't done too much research in terms of what is close to the port, or in walking distance.

We'd like to potentially get to Oia in Santorini and perhaps a beach in Mykonos. From what I read taxis or transport are not abundantly available? Is anything near the ports themselves (or walking distance) or will everything need some sort of transport? 

Thanks for any help you can offer! 

Mykonos.

The town harbour where you're taken by both tenders from ships which lay off-shore  and the waterbus from the cruise port for ships which berth, is delightful. Lined with cafes, bars & shops, and immaculate little lanes behind the harbour lined with homes etc leading to the iconic line of windmills. And "Little Venice", a tiny area to one side on the rocky foreshore. Great for a lazy day of people-watching from behind a tall cold beer. Dial "Mykonos town" or "Mykonos old harbour" into  google-images.

And say Hi to Petros, who's usually patrolling the harbour .k71-655281.jpg

But the scrubby town beach isn't worthwhile & nobody (literally nobody) uses it.

You'll need a taxi (bus?) to get to a decent beach - Paradis Beach is probably the best-known, a 15 minute drive from the town.

Or take the ferry to Delos, best known for its Greek archaeology - not my scene

Santorini

As per many threads on this forum, from the tender quay you'll need to choose between the little ferry to Oia or going up the cliff to Fira by cablecar or on a donkey up the zig-zag path.

All three might sound quite idyllic, but crowds can make it quite a chore.

Walking up the zig-zag path is an option if you're an Olympic athlete 😏

Probably best to decide on the day, depending on lines etc.

If you go up the cliff there are buses or taxis to Oia, but to be sure of return transport perhaps tale a van transfer - ask at pretty-well any bar in Fira, and check how long you're given in Oia.

If I visit Santorini by cruise ship again, I'll seriously consider renting an ATV or a car. Couldn't do it because I hadn't researched properly to figure that option and had left my driving licence on the ship..

Getting back to the ship is more problematic than going ashore

- the ferry doesn't run Oia to Fira

- few donkeys are available to go down and they're a little scary cos like most equines they're not good at going down steps, 

- most ships' excursionists are dropped at Fira and join the throng to go down by cablecar (they don't get any priority in the cable-car line)

- whereas if you're delayed by the logistics getting to Oia or Fira it simply shortens your day, all cruisers have a "last-tender time" to be back at the tender quay so you need to allow plenty of time.

- all of which can create long lines for the cablecar.

As long as you're tolerably fit (I'm in my 70's), get to the top cablecar station 45 minutes before last-tender time, and if the line for the cablecar is too long you can walk down the zig-zag path, it takes about 25 minutes. 

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, but last-tender time is when you have to be at the tender pier - not the time you have to be back on the ship, or even in a tender. If there's still a line at last-tender time the tenders will continue to run until the line has been mopped up.

There are plenty of vacationers on Santorini, so it will be quite crowded at any time - but they don't have any impact on access from / to the tender quay - the comparatively few who use it for boat trips will be going down while cruisers are going up & vice-versa.

All cruise ships moor in the same place, you can get some idea of the demand for the cablecar by checking out sites like https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/santorini-island-port-69?tab=schedule

- bear in mind that such websites are often a little inaccurate or incomplete but you'll get a general idea. Bear in mind arrival & sailaway times, some ships will have little or no impact on you.

You might not think Santorini worth the potential grief.🤔

It is.🙂

Glorious place with glorious views.

JB 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1