Long time Princess Cruiser considering MSC

wallyworld1059

7 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Whatever class you are in, the food is very similar.  Not like on a plane where first class gets a much better meal than coach.  I believe the quality of food in MDR (which all but YC get) is very comparable to Yacht Club.

We agree. I would venture to say that the "Butter Chicken " on the YC menu was from the same kitchen as we saw in the Market Place Buffet. I expected more white breast meat, but it was the same dark thighs. Same with "Turkey" for our Thanksgiving cruise, pressed roll, not even sliced off the bone. Asked for dark meat and only had white. Tend to believe 'most' of the dishes are prepared in a main kitchen and only special orders are prepared in the YC kitchen. A little more garnish, presented with more flair, with a glass of wine being refilled by a Sommelier, hey I couldn't tell the difference. 

We had a great time for 50 years on NCL, RCCL, Princess, Orient Lines, Home Lines, Sun Lines... not once in a suite (that we paid for ourselves, would always accept any upgrade by cruise line). Our complaints now come from nuances of suite class between all cruise lines. So far MSC has the best product in their Yacht Club for the price and very few complaints, too few to mention.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Cruising isn't perfect if you think about it. If you go into a new cruise line looking for things to complain about because things are different than what you are used to, you'll find things to complain about. 

The perfect sentiment. No cruise or cruise line is perfect, but if you have a bad cruise, that generally means you worked pretty hard at it. (unless something actually happened to the ship). We're very interested to see what happens next week, what we like and what we could do without. As with all the cruise lines we've sailed, it won't be perfect but it should be fun. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We agree. I would venture to say that the "Butter Chicken " on the YC menu was from the same kitchen as we saw in the Market Place Buffet. I expected more white breast meat, but it was the same dark thighs.

Oh man the Butter Chicken from Razzle Dazzle on our latest Scarlet Lady sailing in April was unbelievable. One of the best things I've ever eaten on a cruise ship and it was totally different than any butter chicken I've ever had. Our second time on the ship, but first time for dinner at Razzle Dazzle. That's my absolute favorite thing about cruising and why we sail so many different cruise lines, the variety of food experiences. 🙂 

butterchicken.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I have posted this several times on social media to those contemplating booking the Yacht Club. From your photo you certainly belong in the same category as too young.

"The advantages of Diamond are not that great. We would rather be first timers, silver? in the YC than Diamond outside the YC in any category. However you all may still be too young to be spoiled so early in life. Take it slow and easy. Work your ways up to the best life has to offer. Too much of the best in life at an early age can damage your pysche later on. Do not recommend doing the Yacht Club too early in ones life, especially grandparents bringing their grandchildren. Unless these grandparents set aside a nice inheritance for them.

So, don't do it ! Ones life will spiral down into a world of hedonism from which there is no return ."

I think this hits the nail on the head. I read a Live report (I can't find it now unfortunately) where I remember the poster's daughter had no interest in upgrading to YC. I think there's somewhat of a generational divide where YC honestly sounds boring to younger ages and the benefits aren't as interesting. But I don't think it's about spoiling or damaging any psyches, just preferences. 

2 hours ago, skipsaur said:

I think this hits the nail on the head. I read a Live report (I can't find it now unfortunately) where I remember the poster's daughter had no interest in upgrading to YC. I think there's somewhat of a generational divide where YC honestly sounds boring to younger ages and the benefits aren't as interesting. But I don't think it's about spoiling or damaging any psyches, just preferences. 

Thats very interesting, my DS (14, Elite on Princess, now Diamond on MSC) could care less about butler/YC perks but very much cares about his Elite/Diamond status. He did not love the Haven either and said that regular Princess in Royal class was better than NCL Haven with all the bells and whistles of larger ship. Go figure...

I wish we could do 7 day to try MSC out since everyone above is absolutely correct about different demographics of shorter that 7 day cruises, but our friends cant do more that 6 days off at a time, so hoping for the best on a 4 day.

• Like 1