Mariner: Eastern or Western?

DH and I have decided that we are going on the Mariner in February 07.

We had pretty much decided to go the Eastern route because we wanted to go to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, and we LOVE CocoCay.

But, we have been reading so many great reviews on the Western route...

We don't know what to do

Which do you prefer?

I love the western caribbean. I have been on 7 cruises and more than half half of them have been to the western. I also loved my cruise aboard the Mariner. I'll be watching this thread with great interest to see why I should book a 2nd cruise on the Mariner, this time to the eastern caribbean. For me, sometimes it is so much easier to just stick with what has worked before. Unfortunately, I think I may be missing something by not taking a chance with a different choice. I would love to do a back to back cruise on the Mariner, first the western, then the eastern! I too, love Coco Cay. Now that I have been to Labadee though, I think that I prefer it to RCCL's CocoCay. It feels bigger and it has mountains backdropping the beautiful water and beaches. Sovereign of the Seas was our first cruise, I didn't think that it could ever get better than that! I still love her! Perfect for a short get a way, and oh what a personality. My other favorite cousins of the Sovereign are the Enchantment of the Seas (my absolute favorite ship) and now the Mariner. I will be glad to answer any questions that you have about the Mariner and the western itinerary.

Darlene

I know this may not be much help but both itinerary are nice and both have their advantages so I don't think you can go wrong.

As one poster mentioned, the western has more tendered ports. But, the western has more stops and I feel more excursion opportunities. If you are real adventuresome then the western may fit you better. If you're more laid back and want more relaxing sea days then the eastern may fit you better. Also, if you like shopping, the eastern may be a better fit.

There are a couple of things for you to perhaps use to base or factor into your decision.

Have fun.

definately agree with the above poster - eastern more laid back, western more adventuresome things to do plus an extra port which is more worth your money. Do to now having to tender at Cozumel shouldn't stop you, when we tendered in Labadee and Grand Caymen it was quick and painless so just having to tender in on one more port than Eastern isn't that big of a deal. Why stay on the ship for an extra sea day when the islands are so beautiful and so much to do? Western has 4 great ports to explore with each one offering diverse activities.

I went on the Eastern last year and loved it!! I really enjoyed the days at sea because I could relax. Now that Mariner is going to Coco Cay I really want to go back!

However, I haven't been on the western, so that's really appealing to me, personally.

I'd say look at the available excursions for each port, maybe even go to the boards for the ports. That may help.

Either way, Mariner is a beautiful ship and whatever you choose you will have a great time!

Good luck!

Been on both..now going back to Eastern. Love St. Maarten best of all for beaches, shopping & beauty! As was already said, it depends on what you're looking for. Personally we do not like Coz on the W. nor Nassau on the E. but that's been dropped now for Cococay! 4 days til we leave for the E. Yeah!

definately agree with the above poster - eastern more laid back, western more adventuresome things to do plus an extra port which is more worth your money. Do to now having to tender at Cozumel shouldn't stop you, when we tendered in Labadee and Grand Caymen it was quick and painless so just having to tender in on one more port than Eastern isn't that big of a deal. Why stay on the ship for an extra sea day when the islands are so beautiful and so much to do? Western has 4 great ports to explore with each one offering diverse activities.

One thing to keep in mind with tender ports is that you can easily miss them if the weather is bad - One my Mariner trip in January, we skipped Grand Cayman because of the weather (tenders were not working) and one person in our Meet & Mingle had their foot broken on the tender at Cozumel - Rough getting on and off! The tendering at Labadee was great.

Archived