Changing from NCL insurance questions please

nimbex1970

So now that I'm back from my WOS cruise, I started to focus on my April Viva TA cruise.  I have never sailed NCL prior.  After reviewing NCL insurance, it costs about 9.75% of the cost of the cruise, we are on for 19 days. The insurance is like $899 for both of us.  It only provides 25k for emergency flight out, which is almost nothing.  So I start reviewing the terms.  NCL site states I only have 10 days from trip booking to cancel the insurance!  Agggh. I somehow thought I would have more time, nope poor planning on my part.

So I'm trying to gather as much info as possible prior to calling my rep. We have two Trans Atlantics through NCL in a year's time, it seemed logical to purchase the year plan from Allianz..  (waiting for a quote from them).  Allianz also seems to have much higher rates of protection compared to the NCL site, so I would prefer this overall. 

Do I have to cancel the cruise to cancel the insurance?  We normally just pay through the cruise line, but with a TA, want to be better prepared and $900 seems high.

Can you fabulous folks share some insight as how to proceed? If I have to cancel and rebook, I'd rather know asap.