CocoCay - kayak or other ideas?

JenMark

We are going to Royal Caribbean's private island, CocoCay. While we do want to lay around and be bums, we are also looking at doing some of the shore excursions that RCCL offers.

Has anyone ever done any of these? Specifically the kayak adventure. Looks like a fun time but don't want to waste the money or effort if it is not worth it. :confused:

Thanks so much for the help!

Jennifer (First time cruiser!)

I'm sailing Majesty 3/24, and we have booked the kayak excursion - from what I've heard, it is a group tour, but the tour guides are very good about locating and pointing out fish and wildlife. I'll let you know how it was when we return!

I'd also like to hear about the Kayak tour as I'm thinking about doing it when we go late April. It sounds nice and I hear that you stay in shallow water - can anyone confirm this? And I'd love to hear what all animals you see? Also anyone done the nature trail, if so how is it?

My daughter (10 then) and I took the Kayak excursion at CocoCay. We loved it. If your hands are not used to kayaking, bring a pair of gloves or at least a band-aid in case of blisters, but we would do the trip again today if we could. They took us around to a "deserted" part of the island to a "conch graveyard" ... you can't take the shells home, but it's really fun to see them all ... they do let you get out on the beach, so if you have water shoes to avoid stepping on sharp shells, that helps.

While on the trip, the guides found all sorts of interesting creatures that they passed around to touch/hold ... starfish and sea cucumbers to name a couple. We also saw a couple of nurse sharks (not the scary kind) and a reef shark swim under the boats ... they move fast!

All in all, it was very interesting and made for some good exercise and a nice break from being lazy on the beach. They have lockers to store your valuables and things you don't want to get wet while you're on the trip and (amazingly enough) they are free and lock! My daughter was able to find more creatures just off the main beach after we got back now that she knew what to look for ... she was the hit of the beach among the other kids.:)

One other thing ... the wave runner tour was horrible when we were there. The seas were extremely rough, but because someone on board the ship had brought his kite board and was using it in the calm waters where they usually take the wave runners, our only option was to go out into open waters. Three people fell off ... one had to be rescued by a rescue boat ... they ended up refunding us, but we were really disappointed. Watch the seas ... if it is choppy on the tender, you might want to cancel and give your slot to someone on a wait list ... the people at the dock said that this kind of thing happens a lot because the ships cannot control or predict for that kind of activity done on an individual basis and that kite boarding is becoming more and more popular. (They also had to cancel the parasailing that our friends were booked on due to kiteboarders for the same reason ... the water was too rough for the smaller crafts)

:) Anyone out there know if it's ok to bring inflatable rafts (dollar store cheapies, not big ol' survivor rafts) to Coco Cay? We are bringing 5 kids along and don't really feel like spending $10. each to rent a beach mat.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We're back - the Kayak's were very good, the guide was great, and he did point out, pick up, and pass around some wildlife. On our trip, we saw starfish, sting rays, sea cucumbers, but that was about it. Not for lack of trying, mind you, just no luck!

With that said, I wouldn't do it again, but only because DH and I proved ourselves to be terrible kayaker's! There were 2 women kayaking, that when we began the trip, were going in circles, literally. Well, let's just say, they beat us to our destination, by a long shot! Practice your left, right, left, right, and you'll be fine ;)!

OH - I forgot to add - SUNSCREEN on your legs is a GREAT idea - I have very red shins still to prove it!

LORASMOM - Thanks for the great information! My husband is a boy scout and an avid outdoorsman so hopefully we will be ok. I will probably just need to sit back and stay out of the way! And thanks for the tip about sunscreen. I always forget the most vital areas for stuff like that!

Thanks!

Jennifer :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Did you get an answer for this?

I went on this in November of 2006 and LOVED it!! There are 1 and 2 seaters and is very easy to pick up. I had never kayaked before and loved it.

The only problem that I had is that there were many waverunners out at the same time and were making lots of waves, then we ran into another kayak and tipped over. :eek: That wouldn't be bad for most but I am very afraid of the water. I can swim and love the water but am afraid of what BIG fish can be in there. It also didn't help that I am short and my arms didn't reach to the other side of the kayak to help me get in, especially while panicking! So after a couple of minutes one kayak came up behind me so that I could help boost myself up and reach the other side and then I could pull myself back in. It sure felt like an hour to get back in when it was probably a few minutes. So pay attention before you go to the instructor when she teaches you how to get back in. :D

Other than that I that that was the most amazing thing and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Archived