Roll Call - Freedom 1/28/07

gfromftlaud

• 3 weeks later...
132 Days....

Hey Gary, hope all is well. I've sent a couple of emails but never heard from you so I'm not sure if you're getting them or even in the country. Our trip to FLL and cruise is coming up fast. We just wanted to check and see if we're still on for hanging out on the 4th or not. You can email me at smorin00@shaw.ca or catch up with me on our roll call as noted below. Hopefully we'll hear from ya. Say hi to the guys for us.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I am hoping you can give me some information! First, I've found all the previous posts to be very informational as well as entertaining. I have been trying to convince my roommate to go on a gay cruise. I am a straight female and my boyfriend is trying to convince me that I probably wouldn't be welcome (i.e. "there aren't any girls that go on those cruises"). I understand there aren't too many girls; however, I think it would be such a great time!

In addition, my roommate is thinking that it's all couples that go on gay cruises. While I think it may be more couples than we're normally used to, I'm trying to let him know that it doesn't matter and we'd still meet a ton of great people and probably have one of the best times! Can someone give me your thoughts and opinions? I've been on 4 other cruises (all straight cruises) but am thinking this would be a blast! Thanks so much for any info you can give me! I hope you all have the best time on this cruise!

Have fun! Jen ;)

While it is true that there aren't very many women on the RSVP or Atlantis cruises, the women that I saw there were having a great time, and that included straight women.

We were happy to see some women on the cruise and I think, for the overwhelmingly majority of the time, will be very welcome. There may be a very tiny minority of the boys who give you some attitude for being there, but they give everyone attitude and you can ignore it like everyone else does :rolleyes:

So please do come! Unfortunately the Freedom for 1/28 is sold out so we won't see you on that one, but I hope to see you on another sailing.

Oh, and on the last Atlantis cruise I was on, there was a straight couple on the cruise for their third time (they did them because the wife's father is gay).

I'd say it's 50/50 couples and singles.

• 3 weeks later...

hey jen, I agree with emjsea. You will be more than welcome, and you will have a blast! There were maybe a handfull of straight women on the 15th anniversary cruise, some travelled with gay friends, and 1 of the women that I met came alone and goes on many Atlantis cruises. I say book one and get ready to party!

Gary

• 1 month later...

:( Hi everyone,

Well, we were looking forward to it, but scheduling problems has put our Atlantis Freedom sailing at an end...wondering if anyone is interested or knows someone who is interested in buying our cabin from us(at this point it is 100% non refundable)...

Serious enquiries only please, and send all correspondence to stu@braemore.org . Thanks

I am also on the 1/28/07 Freedom Atlantis sailing. I would urge all who are going to read the RCCL board regarding today's delayed sailing (two days) that was ordered by the Center of Disease Control. There was a very major outbreak of Noro Virus and some passengers are reporting well over 1,000 people were very sick. It is up to every passenger to take all necessary precautions to avoid this terrible sickness which can completely ruin your cruise. Following the suggestions regarding continual hand washing and using a germ resistant lotion can help to prevent the spread of the disease. No one is immune and there is no real preventative medication so please help yourself by reading the board and the comments of passengers who just disembarked. And remember that if the cruise line issues a count of DOCUMENTED cases, that is always a very low number. There are also passengers that are reporting being struck after they leave the ship. Spread the word to all your friends so that we can all have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Less than a month to go until the big cruise. We received our email from Atlantis regarding the cruise two nights ago. Got online at RCCL immediately and booked our excursions (and did the pre-registration thing). Now we're just counting down the days.

I can't wait! This will be my first cruise, gay or otherwise...

I see there are lots of options in St. Maarten -- the Loterie Farm Treetop Adventure looks like fun, as do the various snorkeling options (but which one?). Either would also be a new experience for me...

- Mike L. :-)

We booked Captain Morgan's Sailing Adventure in St. Martin (something like that). A small sail boat, open bar, swimming, snorkeling, etc.... my kind of relaxing day.

We booked the wave runners in Labadee (my b.f. wants to do them) and, since I've cruised to San Juan before, decided to do San Juan on our own.

philamike and emjsea,

philamike, we are doing the zip lines thru the tree farm ourselves. I was also looking at the captain morgan sailboat trip. It looks relaxing and I know it is as we have a 41 foot sailboat of our own here in Miami. It only holds 20 which is going to be real nice. Good choice emjsea. ;)

Jim

Actually I was surprized that my partner wanted to do it because he does'nt like heights either. When I saw that he really wanted to try it I went along with him and trust his comfort level, no questions asked. :D I don't think it is too high for him.

Jim

Atlantis posted the Vacation Guide for the trip!

http://www.atlantisevents.com/html/vac/FR07-docs.html

Entertainment looks fun. Among the roster are Charo, Alec Mapa, and a "surprise guest star." And the DJ lineup is impressive.

I was in Puerto Rico last year, and excursions aren't necessary. The ship will dock at Old San Juan, which is completely walkable and there's plenty to see and do. I even snapped pics of the Norwegian Jewel docking, which you can see here: http://www.mikelamonaca.com/PR/5/index4.html (Little did I know that a year later I'd be on a cruise ship making that same port-of-call!)

I hope to have my excursions booked this weekend after consulting w/ my fellow cruise-mates. (I'm one of a group of six -- three of us are gay cruise virgins!)

Am alive and well...been travelling a ton with work...and now we find ourselves a mere 22 days away! SO ready!

We've decided to be excursion free this cruise, there is a group of 8 of us...we can find trouble anywhere. ;-)

I can only chuckle and giggle --- ;) :) at that statement --

Gosh it is right around the corner --- i am not really thinking about excursions either -- a few knick knacks from Puerto Rico -- other than that we will be hitting all the shows / food courts / swimming holes / late night clubs -- and pre-dawn ;) ones. In between alot of sun worshipping and sleeping basically enjoying the entire ship!

Is anyone else counting down the days as much as I am??

That zipline excursion in St. Maarten got filled up before I could book it, but some of my cruisemates are talking about renting a car for the day (we're in port until 1 A.M., so why not?...).

The February issue of PASSPORT (a gay travel magazine) just arrived in my office today, and one of the feature articles is an interview with the Cruise Director for Atlantis, Malcolm Neitzey. (In it, he says he hugs every passenger as they board.)

- Mike :-)

10 MORE DAYS!!!

Anyone know if every passenger gets their own paperwork from Atlantis, or only one person from each stateroom? Among our group of six, three of us have received travel documents so far... (I've already checked-in online and printed my boarding pass, so I'm not really worried about anything.)

- Mike :-)

Mike,

They produce one set of documents per booking number. My partner and I booked together in the same cabin and received 1 set. If you booked as your own seperate entity then you'll get your own.

Jim :)

Archived