Roll Call - Freedom 1/28/07

gfromftlaud

Okay, that's why -- a friend booked the stateroom last year, and I took the other spot in it several months later. He received his docs yesterday.

Another cruisegoer just sent me this site: http://www.atlantis.rvjinwi.com/ (So I guess we can start "cruising" early...)

(okay, lame joke...)

- Mike :-)

Mike. Wow. I just checked out your website, how innovative and a great source of information - for those that need it. Granted this will be my 6th cruise (all with Atlantis) and each time the mystery and anticipation was in NOT KNOWING who would be on the ship! I am not a wallflower so having met via email and pics hundreds of people prior to boarding will not loosen my chattering skills so much as they already are. But, I do repeat it is a great service for those that feel abit squeamish and intimidated. "IF" this was my first cruise then I would probably think differently. But I easily yet cautiously slowly opened up on the first cruise -- everyone wants to talk and get to know you first time or 10th! See you on the cruise!

(Just to clarify, it's not my site. Someone else sent me the link.)

Funny thing is, I think I started feeling apprehensive *after* seeing the site. I love traveling and meeting new people, but I'm definitely not one of your "circuit party types." (Then again, I do have an appropriate outfit for every theme party on the cruise... hmmm...) But my friends who are Atlantis alumni tell me that there are all kinds of folks on the trip, and I need not worry.

The Cruise Critic folks should meet up for a drink. I'll be in/near 2558. (We're doing some roommate swapping after we arrive -- it would have cost us $150 ea. to do it through Atlantis, but it's free through RCI after we board.)

And no jokes about the "bottom deck" please... :-P

- Mike :-)

Yah whooooo !!! 6 days and counting. Looks like the temps will be mild this weekend for departure. We've been having a warm winter but Fri we are going to be hit by some cool temps. At least by our standards. :)

Jim & Terry

Looks like the temps will be mild this weekend for departure. We've been having a warm winter but Fri we are going to be hit by some cool temps. At least by our standards. :)

It's 33 degrees in Philly right now, and it snowed last night... I'm sure Miami's "cool" weather will be just fine!

I'm flying down on Friday, so it's 4 days and counting for me! :-)

- Mike L. :-)

Just a recommendation while in San Juan. If the ship docks at one of the Piers in Old San Juan, you can walk from the ship to all areas in Old San Juan without having to take a ship tour. If the ships docks at the Pan Am Piers or Navy Pier, you will need to take a short taxi ride to Old San Juan. Since the ship arrives after beaching-sunshine hours, I've opted to just walk around and check things out on my own without being rushed to meet tour times. If you need a suggestion to gather with friends in a gay friendly establishment, walk to El Convento Hotel. It's a 10min. walk from the Old San Juan Piers,..just ask a local to point you in the right direction. Nice resturant and bar with outside tables to sit and relax with cocktails. Many gay couples stay at this hotel while vacationing in San Juan.

TravelerRoss,

Thanks for the info on the rest/bar/hotel in San Juan. We have been there many times but were'nt sure of a gay friendly establishment to have a drink or bite to eat. Have you been to this place before?

Jim & Terry

Oy! I've been off the boards for awhile for some reason. Actually busy at work? :rolleyes:

We leave for Florida this Friday. Staying in Lauderdale unil the cruise takes off.

We're on the 7th deck near the library. Can't remember the room number but our door decorations will have our names and "Baltimore, MD" on it.

So, any guesses as to the headliner entertainment for our cruise? Atlantis' 3rd email hints at their 2nd email, but I couldn't find a hint in it...

Guess we'll have to wait until we set sail...

Did anyone see the Science Channel program tonight about the building of Freedom of the Seas? Very interesting. I love how they had to move the ship to Germany for emergency repairs, and had to sail underneath a suspension bridge with only 5 feet of clearance!

I better start packing...

So, any guesses as to the headliner entertainment for our cruise? Atlantis' 3rd email hints at their 2nd email, but I couldn't find a hint in it...

Guess we'll have to wait until we set sail...

Did anyone see the Science Channel program tonight about the building of Freedom of the Seas? Very interesting. I love how they had to move the ship to Germany for emergency repairs, and had to sail underneath a suspension bridge with only 5 feet of clearance!

I better start packing...

We are sailing after you all and RCI said our headliner was CHARO !!! Someone checked with guest relations. Not sure when she is joining the ship again....

Mike,

We saw part of the Freedom program. I came in just when they were going under the bridge. awesome !!! The 3rd hint from Atlantis referred to googling to find the headliner. I tried my best to input Atlantis Freedom entertainment and anything around that. I could'nt find anything other than their web site. Perhaps it is hidden in their own website :confused: .

Jim & Terry

It's almost 1 a.m. and I leave for the airport in about 9 hours. My two large suitcases are packed -- one is almost solely for costumes/party outfits!

Two days in South Beach, then finally boarding Freedom! I look forward to meeting everyone!

TravelerRoss,

Thanks for the info on the rest/bar/hotel in San Juan. We have been there many times but were'nt sure of a gay friendly establishment to have a drink or bite to eat. Have you been to this place before?

Jim & Terry

Jim and Terry,

I've stayed at El Convento a few times before taking cruises out of San Juan. It's a beautiful old hotel that is very nice. After walking around Old San Juan, stop in for a couple of hours before heading back to the ship. Great place to hang out after the stores close up and the sun goes down. Many gay couples are guest there.

http://www.elconvento.com

1 more day....

Thanks for those who participated in this thread. For the new Atlantis cruisers I hope your ready to have a blast, regardless of what you you're into...party'n till dawn or relaxing, you will find it!

El Convento in Old San Juan is a favorite of ours as well, we will be there.

We will be in the champagne bar before dinner each night, group of 8..if ya see us..say hello

Wishing you all safe travels to Florida...and Bon Voyage

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

It was great meeting you all as well! I can't believe you picked us out of the crowd like that.

We had a great time. The Wave Runner was a lot of fun, even though falling could be a bit painful sometimes.

We really enjoyed our Captain Morgan's Sailing Adventure in St. Maarten. It was probably the best excursion I've been on during a cruise.

We signed up for next year on the Liberty "as a backup" in case our plans for the Mediterranean in 2008 fall through, but I'm hoping we get to do both (I have all summer to talk Carlos into it.)

I hope you guys enjoy taking your sailboat back to the Carib.

Michael

Just saw a friend who went on this cruise. He said the ship was beautiful and had a great time. When I asked if he knew what the ratio was between singles and couples, he said it didn't make any difference. Everyone was having sex with everyone else and that it was a total sexfest all week!

Archived