Any Brits out there?

Have only just found this part of the boards, and it's fascinating. However, just about everyone seems to be American; love reading your suggestions about suitable shops etc., but we don't have them here. Does anyone in the UK have recommendations about shops for evening wear? (live in darkest Suffolk, but can access civilisation, eg London).

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Mary

I'm a Brit living in America for a while :)

I always find the large department stores like John Lewis & debenhams good for evening wear. Sometimes bridal shops have evening dresses too. Near Christmas time many shops like Principles, Wallis etc have evening dresses. Monsoon is another good one but the cut never worked for me.

If you can get in to London for the day a few times you should find some good stuff, no problem.

Nice to meet a fellow Brit on these boards, there are a few of us around but mainly Americans.

Have fun shopping!

Another Englishman here!

M & S is possible for evening wear, but they can be a bit hit and miss with stock.

I had a suit made by Raja fashions, which was fine - but had I planned better then I'd have been able to get one much cheaper.

I'm a great fan of having a suit made for you unless you are a standard size. You can pay a huge amount going to Gieves and Hawkes, or find a good (real) tailor for very much less.

In London I like to shop at Harvey Nichols and for fun, inexpensive things I like Karen Millen. She has her own shop near Harrods & Harvey Nich's, and they sell her things in Harrods as well.

Jane

Hi, I have a question, someone told me that the really trendy jeans in the UK are a real grey wash, almost totally grey?

And someone I know just came back a few weeks ago from some London Hair thing and they said curly was the "in" thing?

Any thoughts or comments? Is it true?

BTW, I'm american living in Canada

Many thanks for v. helpful replies; apologies for delay in coming back to you - just spent a couple of days in London doing retail therapy. Still looking for perfect evening wear, however. Coast seems to have a decent range, but saw them in every department store and am now bored with their rather limited stock.

Re grey jeans, bought mine last year and have no idea if they are still in fashion, but I like them. If in the UK, Next do a v. good stretch denim boot-cut in grey denim. Think this year we are all supposed to be back in leggings (despite there only being about one person in the UK who looks ok in them, and she's Kate Moss), and skinny jeans (same applies) in dark blue denim. I shan't be wearing them!

Re curly hair, I'm sticking with my straighteners (the greatest invention since David Ginola)

Regards, Mary

Many thanks for v. helpful replies; apologies for delay in coming back to you - just spent a couple of days in London doing retail therapy. Still looking for perfect evening wear, however. Coast seems to have a decent range, but saw them in every department store and am now bored with their rather limited stock.

Re grey jeans, bought mine last year and have no idea if they are still in fashion, but I like them. If in the UK, Next do a v. good stretch denim boot-cut in grey denim. Think this year we are all supposed to be back in leggings (despite there only being about one person in the UK who looks ok in them, and she's Kate Moss), and skinny jeans (same applies) in dark blue denim. I shan't be wearing them!

Re curly hair, I'm sticking with my straighteners (the greatest invention since David Ginola)

Regards, Mary

I don't like to fly so unfortunately I won't be in London again anytime soon most probably.

But I do love hearing the current fashions, of Paris, NY, London and Milan. Thank you so much for your replies.

Hi Mary,

Hi from the other side of the world...we are in Australia.

I buy a LOT of my clothes from EBay wholesalers who ship worldwide, and from UK ebay and Aust Ebay also. I have some wonderful clothes I have bought over the last 2/3 years, just for cruising. There are many bargains to be had out there, and such a lot of choice. My Sil in the Uk also got her cruise wardrobe togther this way...so much fun as well..chasing a good bargain.

Good luck..and happy cruising to everyone..

Sandra

S&D:)

fishwave.gif.134628c35c348f2789f1c70c984089c8.gif

Hi Mary

I'm in England (Derbyshire). I just bought a beautiful evening gown on line from Kaleidoscope. They have some lovely stuff. I'd almost given up in despair finding anything I liked at a reasonable price in the shops.

If you don't mind how much you spend, try Jacques Vert. I just bought an outfit there for our daughter's wedding and noticed that they had some lovely evening things (not full length though - more cocktail type).

Hi Mary

I'm in England (Derbyshire). I just bought a beautiful evening gown on line from Kaleidoscope. They have some lovely stuff. I'd almost given up in despair finding anything I liked at a reasonable price in the shops.

If you don't mind how much you spend, try Jacques Vert. I just bought an outfit there for our daughter's wedding and noticed that they had some lovely evening things (not full length though - more cocktail type).

Thanks again; by chance have just received the Kaleidoscope catalogue, and agree it looks promising. Haven't looked at Jacques Vert, though it is available locally; thought they just did wedding-type clothes. Have looked at e bay; bit worried about sizing, as imagine you can't return things; am I the only person with clothes in her wardrobe varying between a UK 10 and 18?

Regards, Mary

Hi,

Another fellow Brit here. All you UK passengers why don't you take a look in the 'Floataway Lounge' and look for the thread 'Any UK Passengers Out There'...it's great.

Being on the larger size I find it difficult to find unusual evening wear. A really good shop/website is Box2. Not cheap but some great stuff. They have franchises in Brighton, Watford, Wakefield and more besides.

Bev

Hi,

Another fellow Brit here. All you UK passengers why don't you take a look in the 'Floataway Lounge' and look for the thread 'Any UK Passengers Out There'...it's great.

Being on the larger size I find it difficult to find unusual evening wear. A really good shop/website is Box2. Not cheap but some great stuff. They have franchises in Brighton, Watford, Wakefield and more besides.

Bev

Thanks, Bev

Like the stuff on www.box2.co.uk. What amuses me is that these larger size places start at UK size 14; that's bordering on being a stick insect if you're tall. Do these sizes come up about right or are they small or large? I have broad back, no front, and end up with room for Jordan in some dresses.

Regards, Mary

Archived