Float Plane to Traitor's Cove

seagunthera

We have a short call (6AM-1PM) in Ketchikan which caused me to book an excursion through Princess (I usually prefer to hire locals but the times are tricky and make me a bit nervous). I'm doing the float plane to Traitor's Cove to their viewing platform to see bears. Has anyone done this and if so, was it worth the cost of admission? I've read mixed reviews and would love to hear from our trusted CC family!

We did it last summer with Island Wings.  It was wonderful.  For us, it was the very beginning of the salmon season, so the bears were not abundant.  We had to wait over an hour for a bear to appear.  Two bears finally showed up, and it was amazing.  Just like the videos you see, the bears got in the water and began fishing.  They caught several.  The bald eagles showed up to get the leftovers.  Sadly, we had to leave after a short time, because we had to go back and catch the plane.  But I still feel that we got our money's worth with what we were able to view.  It's a beautiful walk through the forest to get to the platform and a beautiful (but short) flight to get there.

I would recommend that you bring some binoculars if you have them.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lorabelle said:

We did it last summer with Island Wings.  It was wonderful.  For us, it was the very beginning of the salmon season, so the bears were not abundant.  We had to wait over an hour for a bear to appear.  Two bears finally showed up, and it was amazing.  Just like the videos you see, the bears got in the water and began fishing.  They caught several.  The bald eagles showed up to get the leftovers.  Sadly, we had to leave after a short time, because we had to go back and catch the plane.  But I still feel that we got our money's worth with what we were able to view.  It's a beautiful walk through the forest to get to the platform and a beautiful (but short) flight to get there.

I would recommend that you bring some binoculars if you have them.  

Thank you for the advice! When did you go last summer? We are set to be there the first week of August.