ISO Tour recommendations for Gran Canaria

Tbird58

I'm looking for suggestions for tours in Gran Canaria.  I'm open to ideas.  We'll be there for the day in December, so I'm not sure how warm the water will be.  Most excursions I've looked into leave from the other side of the island and don't offer transportation, which we could find a way there; but time is an issue.  Thanks!

If your cruise ship is staying for more than 10 hours, you can try a full day tour. We did a private shore excursion "GRan CaNaRiA MAXXX No. 1 Tour!" with Simon tour It was cheap 69 euro tour that include lunch that cover many point of interests in Gran Canaria.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, Tbird58 said:

I'm looking for suggestions for tours in Gran Canaria.  I'm open to ideas.  We'll be there for the day in December, so I'm not sure how warm the water will be.  Most excursions I've looked into leave from the other side of the island and don't offer transportation, which we could find a way there; but time is an issue.  Thanks!

I could have written this post. We are in the exact same situation. We are on a similar itinerary during the holiday sailing on Infinity. Just not quite sure what to do in Gran Canaria. Looking at snorkeling possibilities as well, but they are on the other side of the island as you said. You are given wetsuits, thankfully. I think the water is going to be quite chilly.

2 hours ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

I could have written this post. We are in the exact same situation. We are on a similar itinerary during the holiday sailing on Infinity. Just not quite sure what to do in Gran Canaria. Looking at snorkeling possibilities as well, but they are on the other side of the island as you said. You are given wetsuits, thankfully. I think the water is going to be quite chilly.

Yes, it's hard.  I did find a company yesterday called Simon Tours and reached out to them asking about a couple of tours, so we'll see.  You must be on the Infinity when we get off?  We're on 12-9 to 12-21 & then we're flying to Amsterdam for 5 days.  Usually we're in Texas at Xmas since I'm from there and all family is there, but we're skipping this year!

We will actually be in La Palma, not Gran Canaria. I was looking at the wrong island all day yesterday. Trying to do too much in one day. We are going to La Palma, Grand Canary, not Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Whoops! I am going to hire a private taxi/tour for La Palma to see the north side of the island.

Texas is perfect at Christmas, but we started to go to even sunnier locales for the holidays and now we can't stop. 😁 Yes, we are on Infinity right after you and will be staying in Barcelona a few days before and one after. Happy sailing! 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 10:25 PM, Tbird58 said:

I'm looking for suggestions for tours in Gran Canaria.

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is one of my favourite cruise ports. You can walk directly off the ship into the town.  The beach side of town is walking distance from the ship and has nice bars and restaurants. the ho ho bus picks up from outside the port.  the old town is lovely, and the museum is all about Columbus and his voyage of discovery. And there is a large branch of my favourite Spanish upmarket department store, El Corte Ingles. what's not to love. So I wouldn't recommend a tour. The rest of Gran Canaria is a typical Canary Island, the mountains are scenic, we ve had a land based holiday there, but it rains quite a bit up in the mountains while it stays fine down on the coast. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

We will actually be in La Palma, not Gran Canaria. I was looking at the wrong island all day yesterday. Trying to do too much in one day. We are going to La Palma, Grand Canary, not Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Whoops! I am going to hire a private taxi/tour for La Palma to see the north side of the island.

Me again. La Palma is the least developed of the Canary Islands. The absolutely best thing to do there is to go up the National Park , its absolutely beautiful. And probably the quietest place I ve ever been to on earth.  You are on the edge of Europe, nothing between you and the Americas, no cars, no motorways, no planes overhead. We did it with a ships tour, but a private taxi will allow you to spend as much time as you want.  Our group was all saying to the guide that we wanted to stay longer than the ship's tour allowed. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

Me again. La Palma is the least developed of the Canary Islands. The absolutely best thing to do there is to go up the National Park , its absolutely beautiful. And probably the quietest place I ve ever been to on earth.  You are on the edge of Europe, nothing between you and the Americas, no cars, no motorways, no planes overhead. We did it with a ships tour, but a private taxi will allow you to spend as much time as you want.  Our group was all saying to the guide that we wanted to stay longer than the ship's tour allowed. 

Thanks so much sleepingcat!  I'll look at the park info - and happy to do a taxi verses ship tour!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 12:29 AM, Tbird58 said:

Yes, it's hard.  I did find a company yesterday called Simon Tours and reached out to them asking about a couple of tours, so we'll see.  You must be on the Infinity when we get off?  We're on 12-9 to 12-21 & then we're flying to Amsterdam for 5 days.  Usually we're in Texas at Xmas since I'm from there and all family is there, but we're skipping this year!

Hi!  We are on the Infinity sailing with you.  Would you mind letting us know what you find out from Simon Tours?  We are also looking for options on the stops in the Canary Islands.  

7 hours ago, AtlFirstTimeCruiser said:

Hi!  We are on the Infinity sailing with you.  Would you mind letting us know what you find out from Simon Tours?  We are also looking for options on the stops in the Canary Islands.  

Hi.  They did contact me and there's not enough time on shore for their excursions.  We dock in the Northern part of the island and their tours are on the south side.  We decided just to walk off ship and head into town.  We enjoy that too.

4 hours ago, Tbird58 said:

Hi.  They did contact me and there's not enough time on shore for their excursions.  We dock in the Northern part of the island and their tours are on the south side.  We decided just to walk off ship and head into town.  We enjoy that too.

Thank you so much.  That sounds like the best option.  We also enjoy just exploring new areas!!  😄

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, BlueSkiesTX said:

Well.... Thats confusing! Now I have to double check mine! Whats the difference?