How smooth is the Pacific?

MimiDo

My husband and I are booked on a LA - Hawaii - Bora Bora - Tahiti - Marquesas - LA cruise this November and December.  There are lots of sea days, and we’d like to take our walking poles to walk on the deck.

Based on your experience — good idea or bad idea?

Just my opinion.  Walking poles are a bad idea.  Depending on your ship and how wide the veranda deck is, they add to your width especially as I suspect you will walk side by side.  This is based on my experience.  I don't like to take a brisk walk and have groups walk on the deck like they own the ship - smack dab center of the walkway so that you cannot pass without asking.  Walk on the right.  Leave some space.

If you are too unsteady to walk in anything other than dead calm seas, consider the treadmill and hold on to the rails.

Edited by CaptJerry51
More info
  • Like 3

On 7/31/2023 at 6:12 AM, CaptJerry51 said:

Just my opinion.  Walking poles are a bad idea.  Depending on your ship and how wide the veranda deck is, they add to your width especially as I suspect you will walk side by side.  This is based on my experience.  I don't like to take a brisk walk and have groups walk on the deck like they own the ship - smack dab center of the walkway so that you cannot pass without asking.  Walk on the right.  Leave some space.

If you are too unsteady to walk in anything other than dead calm seas, consider the treadmill and hold on to the rails.

I have to agree with you about the walking poles. They are great for hiking on uneven surfaces, but they're not going to be of much help on a flat veranda. And if it's moving (as it will be when underway) the walking poles are not going to help with steadiness - they will actually create more of a hazard, especially for anyone else walking on the veranda.

And yes, the Pacific can get rough. How rough it will feel for you will be completely dependent on the ship you are on, and how well its stabilizers work. Some ships move more than others. If you are not able to walk steadily without a pole or cane, walking on a veranda while underway is simply not a good idea.

• Like 2