What if we miss the boat?

DawnfromMinny

We are first time cruisers and just received our documents. Our flight arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 2:03pm ... Our ship, the Liberty (March 26), is scheduled to leave port at 4pm. Aren't we cutting this close? I called Orbitz and they seem to think we will have enough time. Any suggestions? Has anyone cut it THIS close? :eek:

We are first time cruisers and just received our documents. Our flight arrives in Ft Lauderdale at 2:03pm ... Our ship, the Liberty (March 26), is scheduled to leave port at 4pm. Aren't we cutting this close? I called Orbitz and they seem to think we will have enough time. Any suggestions? Has anyone cut it THIS close? :eek:

Wow, no way would I cut it that close. I always come in the night before.

Oh, man, I would be having nightmares with a flight that close to sailing. Is there ANY way you can change it? I would definitely recommend flying in the night before if at all possible. If not, then an earlier flight that gets in no later than noon-ish would be the next best thing. Good luck! :)

Oh, and to answer your question, if you miss the ship it would be up to you to get yourselves to the first port, then you could board the ship there. But, the expense of that would be totally on you. Hope all works out for you.

No way would I ever even attempt it!! You likely won't even leave the airport until closer to 3... If there is even the SLIGHTEST delay in your flight, you'll miss the ship. Unless you booked your air with Carnival, don't think they are going to hold the ship for you... you'll be waving from the pier. Seriously, change your flight. That is cutting it entirely too close in my opinion. I prefer to fly in the day before, just in case there are weather/mechanical delays, etc. No way would I ever schedule to arrive into town less than 2 hours before the ship leaves... PLEASE change your flight if at ALL possible!!! Good luck!

I called Orbitz to change the flight - Apparently, they can't do that. Orbitz is saying Carnival will not change it. :mad::confused: I guess we will have to take a chance at it.

Have you ever missed the boat? What happens then?

Okay, I'm confused... did you book your air with Carnival? If so, they are really bad about flights and generally put you on a flight that will cause alot of stress from what I have seen... however, if you booked your air through Carnival, they will hold the ship for a reasonable amount of time.

As for missing the ship? I've never put myself in that position... I fly in early so in order to prevent something like missing the ship... I book my own flights as well, Carnival's flights are overpriced and they wait until the last minute to book...

What? They won't change it? Or they won't change it for free? I booked my flight thru them or Tra.....city and if you want to change flights, it's $90.00 extra or something. I think it's worth the extra money! I think it's insane that they won't change your flight!

I read on our roll call that you are coming from a northern state, too. I don't know. I don't want to scare you, but, I'd really, REALLY try to get on another flight! Good luck to you! Don't you DARE miss our cruise!

heather

If Carnival booked the flight as part of your cruise package they will probably hold the ship (for a short time) if you're late. If you got trip insurance that should repay you for having to catch the ship elsewhere in the worst case scenario.

If Carnival made these arrangements, someone will be waiting for you at your gate. Its their responsiblity to get you to the ship. Good luck. We always fly in a day ahead so we don't have this problem and we always book our own flights.

I asked if they would/could change it and they said "no". They didn't say, "for $90 more, we could change it". I would have definitely taken that option.

I also called Carnival directly. They told me to deal with Orbitz. So, now I'm on hold with a different agent from Orbitz.

I'm still curious on what happens if we miss the ship.

BTW, we did book our flight and ground transportation through Carnival.

Then no, Carnival likely won't change it (read the fine print when you are booking your air with Carnival, I believe there are many stipulations)... they wait until last minute to book, and it seems all that is left are crap flights... which is probably why the flights are more expensive in most cases. They will hold the ship for a little while, and if you miss the ship, since you booked with Carnival, I do believe they will get you to the first port. Just read your documentation (or the documentation for the air program) and it should explain it to you...

BTW, we did book our flight and ground transportation through Carnival.

OK. Then it's not as much of a worry as it would be if you'd booked the flight yourself. As GC said, they will hold the ship for a reasonable amount of time for those who have flights booked through Carnival. You'll probably be ok. In the future, though, I would recommend booking your own flights and flying in the day before your cruise. Makes for a MUCH more enjoyable cruise experience, and much less stress. :)

I'm still curious on what happens if we miss the ship.

I'm not sure what kind of an answer you're looking for here. Someone already posted that you're responsible for getting to the ship at the first port (or any later port). Otherwise, you miss the cruise.

But at least since you booked through Carnival you have a little more leeway time if you're late getting to the pier. I wonder how long they'll hold up the ship for someone who has booked air & ground transportation through Carnival?

GOOD LUCK!

I certainly would not worry as much since these are Carnival's arrangements. And I noted that this last Sunday the Liberty left really late--about 6:00 instead of 4:00. They only have to go to Freeport overnight. I think they would wait for you. Look at the availability of flights to Freeport--but I don't think it will come to that.

If you miss the sailing you will have to book a flight to the first port and pay full fare. After arriving at the first port, you will have to get a taxi to the port and board at that time. By that time I'm sure you will need a strong drink due to the extreme stress and fatigue.

:eek:

Good luck!!

We are also cruising out of Miami on the 26th (but on the Victory) and are also from the Twin Cities MN...but we are flying in to Florida on Thursday! (We go in anywhere from a day to several days early! I hate starting out vacation stressed. I have flown in the day of and I prefer now not to!)

So I will keep my *fingers crossed* for you!! We'll hope that the weather isn't ANYTHING like it was here on Monday or today for that matter!! Today there is even another glitch with only runway open and a cargo plane off the runway...any little delay....UGH...

I'll be rooting for you!!

I also would suggest booking your own air next time!! We have a lot of flight carriers/options out of MSP to get you there a whole lot earlier!!

Where are you flying in from? If your plane IS on time, you will have plenty of time to make it to the ship.

You will also miss the rush...

The port is very close to FLL, maybe 10 minutes.

I have cut it that close, arriving at the port at 3:45 (carnival listed the cutoff at 3:30 in docs) I had crying kids, upset wife - never again, but we did make it on the ship...

:eek:

Good luck!!

We are also cruising out of Miami on the 26th (but on the Victory) and are also from the Twin Cities MN...but we are flying in to Florida on Thursday! (We go in anywhere from a day to several days early! I hate starting out vacation stressed. I have flown in the day of and I prefer now not to!)

So I will keep my *fingers crossed* for you!! We'll hope that the weather isn't ANYTHING like it was here on Monday or today for that matter!! Today there is even another glitch with only runway open and a cargo plane off the runway...any little delay....UGH...

I'll be rooting for you!!

I also would suggest booking your own air next time!! We have a lot of flight carriers/options out of MSP to get you there a whole lot earlier!!

Thanks Cap ..... Our first cruise. I wish I would have found these message boards BEFORE booking. I have learned a lot! My agent through Orbitz is now checking to see if we can fly out the day before. I hope she is able to find something for us!

Thats way to scary for me. I always come in a day before and leave a day after. That way there is time for delays. One never know's what delays may be there. Weather and whatnot. Give yourself padding. It's a vacation not a stress week.

Dawn, good luck!! Let us know what happens! It was my understanding that if you booked through Carnival you had to come in the day of the cruise... but I could be wrong. Good luck and I hope they can get it changed for you!!

Where are you flying in from? If your plane IS on time, you will have plenty of time to make it to the ship.

You will also miss the rush...

The port is very close to FLL, maybe 10 minutes.

I have cut it that close, arriving at the port at 3:45 (carnival listed the cutoff at 3:30 in docs) I had crying kids, upset wife - never again, but we did make it on the ship...

We are flying out of Minneapolis. Our flight leaves at 7am ... But we fly to Philly first; then from Philly to Ft Lauderdale. If all goes well, I don't think we have to worry. BUT, it's been VERY snowy here lately. That is why I thought of the delays.

My children are older (teenagers), so hopefully no one will cry! I'm sure we'll all get crabby if we're delayed. BUT, we won't be in the snow! :cool:

You guys are freaking me out now....I'm on a totally different cruise, but we arrive in Port Canaveral at 12pm & our ship leaves at 4pm. Now I'm worried...will I have enough time???

I'm assuming you are flying into Orlando??? It's about a 45 minute-1 hour drive from Orlando to PC... If all goes well and you have no delays, you should be okay... this is the reason I fly in the day before whenever possible... too stressful! LOL! Good luck!!!

Archived