One last question

Tiger Shark

We're off on our first cruise tomorrow and I can't tell you how helpful everyone on this site has been! I'm so excited!!:D

Just one last question and I *think* I'll be prepared for anything. :rolleyes: How much do you usually tip your tour guides on excursions? And if it is an excursion you booked through the cruiseline does that make a difference, ie cruiseline employees?

Usually the ones booked through the lines are with a separate agency so all the cruiseline employees do is direct you to where you start off. Usually you tip the guide and the driver. For a half-day I usually go 3-5 for the guide and 2-3 for the driver, depending. Usually you will know whether to give to each or just the guide (who will split it). They will generally be happy to remind you that they accept all tips :p. Have a great time. I'm getting itchier by the minute for ours :).

As the above poster noted, even the ship's excursions are really an independant company. It's just that everyone makes money. The ship gives the company tons of business so the company is able to give the ship a discounted price and then in turn the ship charges you more and everyone makes money.

As for tipping, it somewhat depends on what you're doing and how long the excursion is and how much they help you. i.e. we went cave tubing in belize and the guide took very good care of my 7yo nephew, so my sister tipped him well. I gave him $20 for my family of 4 as it was an all day trip.

Archived