Peanut Sauce

I was on the Gem a couple of weeks ago and at the buffet 1 night they had chicken  and beef skewers served alongside some peanut sauce. Do any of you know if this is something they just buy and serve or if they actually make the sauce themselves? If so what is the brand name or do you have the recipe for it or have something similar? I've had peanut sauce before but there's was thicker than the kind I am used to and didn't taste overly salted. I was really surprised by how good the dinner buffet was during my sailing as normally I am not into the buffet at least for anything other than breakfast. 

• 1 month later...

it's thai and it's the traditional sauce used for chicken satay. it's a little unusual to serve it with beef, which normally takes a soy or sweet chili sauce. i'm a bit jeallous because i haven't seen that on any of my NCL cruises!

bottled peanut sauce is available at any asian grocer and in the "ethnic" food aisle at many main stream chains, as well. try a few until you find one you like. feel free to augment the sauce with more or less of your favorite ingredients.

you can make your own peanut sauce with peanut butter, ginger, honey or maple syrup, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seeds and water. some recipes call for coconut milk, which makes it thicker and that may be what was in the stuff you tried on the gem.

you can easily google recipes.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it's thai and it's the traditional sauce used for chicken satay. it's a little unusual to serve it with beef, which normally takes a soy or sweet chili sauce.

I was recently on the Bliss and it was served at the buffet on the last night of the cruise (their Asian cuisine night). The beef skewer was served next to a soy-based sauce while the chicken satay was served next to the peanut sauce as appropriate.