Rum Point - Taxis ???

cmjsr

Does anyone know if there are taxi's that normally go to Rum Point? How much does it cost ? We don't want to rent a Jeep & drive but would love to spend some time at Rum Point. Also, are taxi's right there at Rum Point to come back? Does anyone recommend anyone in particular to go with?

Thanks,

Chris

I've never heard of cabs going to Rum Point. It's at least a 45 minute drive each way. When we were at Rum Point, we didn't see any cabs coming or going or waiting in the area. If you don't want to rent a car, you might consider doing one of the tours that takes you to Rum Point. I think I've read here that Nativeway offers one. There is a ferry (near the Hyatt-I believe), but when we were there, it wasn't operational.

Drew...a local (lucky guy), posts here on a regular basis. He'd know about when the ferry will be up and running, and probably know if it would be possible to rent a cab for the drive.

We just got back from GC. We rented a car from Avis for less than $50 all inclusive,gas, tax, insurance. They pick you up from the blue iguana gift shop. Nice drive once you get use to left hand road and right hand steering.

We were lucky and got a car that had the steering on the left. It made it so much easier! My job, as the passenger, was to navigate as we entered the roundabouts! :)

We also enjoyed the drive to Rum Point. It's a part of the island that more cruisers don't see.

Thanks for all the info.

Maybe we will rent a car then. I want to see the Island so it would be good to do it

at our own pace.

Thanks,

Chris

We used Andy's, but I've read here where one of them will pick you up and drop you off at the Blue Iguana (I think). That's right in the port area. Driving was really quite easy since the cars don't really go that fast. Also, the drivers were so polite. If there's a line of traffic, someone will let you in. In fact, this happens so often that there are signs that say when the light is green, don't do this. Just remember that those who enter the roundabout have the right of way. I think the signs say "give way" when you are entering. There's a big roundabout on the way to Rum Point, it's just after you leave GC. However, we found the bigger ones easier to navigate.

Here's their website. I don't remember exactly what we paid, but we had a big SUV that seated seven and it was around $400 for the week. You also have to purchase a DL for the time. I think it was $7.50 or so. We also bought the insurance, although, it wasn't much. Andy's has a location at the airport, and one on the 7MB stretch. The one on the 7MB stretch is right between Coconut Joe's (we ate there many times, and loved it), and Auqa Beach Restaurant. They will probably shuttle you to and from the port area. If not, there's another car rental company that drops off and picks up at the Blue Iguana...although I can't remember which one. If you search the threads, you'll see it. It's on one of the "car rental" threads.

If you use Andy's, go to Cayman Activity Guide and print off their 10% off coupon. If you use Andy's, tell them about this and they will quote the price with the coupon included.

I think renting a car is the way to go, expecially now that there are so many ships in port. You can drive anywhere on the island and feel safe. We loved the Savannah/Bodden Town/East End/Rum Point area. Going in that direction is going away from all the crowds that will be all over the 7MB area.

But if you have time, I'd drive along the 7MB area also. Just watch your time since the traffic tends to get clogged there, especially around noon and toward the evening (5:00 or so).

http://www.andys.ky/

i am interested in renting a jeep but, what if we break down in the middle of the island and can not get in touch wiht anyone and miss the ship do they have anything to compensate?

thanks

don

i am interested in renting a jeep but, what if we break down in the middle of the island and can not get in touch wiht anyone and miss the ship do they have anything to compensate?

thanks

don

I don't know what they would do...I guess you'd have to ask.

However, the chances of being stranded are slim. The people of GC are very gracious...we had a guy pull over and help us with directions. If by chance you do have car trouble, I am sure someone would contact the company for you. Also, our Sprint phones worked while on the island (which is really interesting because we live near their World Headquarters and the phones almost never work in front of their HUGE campus). We called our kids several times from different locations and never had a problem, so maybe if you have cell phone yours might also work.

I suppose renting a car has its risks...an accident, stalling somewhere...however, you could just as easily have problems on a tour, and unless you book a ship tour, you are on your own. The great thing about GC is it isn't that big. You could find help if you needed it. An unlike some Caribbean islands, you wouldn't be taking your life into your own hands if you had to "hoof-it" down the road a bit.

Whatever you decide...have a great time! :)

We also rented a jeep for the day to drive to Rum Point. It was very easy, and one of the most enjoyable days of the cruise. I googled Avis Grand Cayman, found the Cico Avis site and booked the vehicle we wanted (Jeep). I advise you to book early, as they do sell out of vehicles. When we got off the ship, we went straight to the Blue Iguana, (right past Hard Rock Cafe) and they called Avis. The Avis van arrived within 10 minutes, took us to the agency at the airport ( a 5 -10 minute drive), and they had a just washed jeep waiting out front for us. The price includes the driver's license fee and full tank of gas, but you must rent online through the link for cruise passengers, you will see it on the website. The drive to Rum Point was beautiful and breezy with the top down on the jeep. Drew sent great directions on how to reach Rum Point, which I took with us, but Avis also had a great map and told us how to get there. It really is a straight shot, with the exception of one major left turn and a couple round abouts. The Avis agency was the best I have encountered in 30 years of dealing with car rental agencys. I am sure if you had a problem they would help you out. It is definitely worth getting the jeep for the day to enjoy Rum Point. Also, when we were there the ferry was not operating again yet. Have fun!!:)

When we were in GC in January, there was the back end of a tanker off to the side of the road (where you turn to go to Rum Point). If you want to rent a car, I'd do it early. There were a bunch of ships in port each day...except Saturday (one) and Sunday (none). We counted nine ships on one Thursday.

Archived