princess dissecting squid and more?

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with the Princess 8-12 yr. olds program. My kids spend most of their time with us, but I'm trying to find out if there's anything special or out of the ordinary for them on this ship.

We are going to be on a 7 day eastern sailing, (non-school break time).

We read that one day they dissect a squid...this I'm sure will greatly appeal to my son. (My daughter on the other hand has already gagged and pronounced my son's participation in this "gross") Is this on every eastern sailing? Do you remember what day? Anything else in their "educational" program, worth planning for?

We were on the Caribbean Princess the week of Feb 25th. I think the squid was on Tuesday, they used toothpicks to remove the spine, beak and took the fish out of it.

On Thursday morning they build rollercoasters out of tubing.

Cindy

My 8-yr-old daughter was in the kids program on the Island Princess in December. She's into science so she enjoyed the dissection and other science-oriented activities as well as the "fun" activities. I give a rundown of some of the activities in my report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=285469&highlight=aloha

You may want to note that when there's fewer kids onboard, the activities are often cut back. We had that experience when we took our girl out of kindergarten for a week in Feb. 2003.

Thanks to both of you so far....

cjh....we will be on the Caribbean Princess too.

cruisin' chick...wow that was quite the chaos on your cruise..too bad about the misbehaved kids. Unfortunetly we have the opposite problem where our children are glued to our side....which is a good thing.:)

If you don't mind I copied and pasted a part of your review:

"The Pirateers

This program for cruisers 8-12 features hands-on science activities, in conjunction with the California Science Center (which originally was the California Museum of Science and Industry). These included: Corals Galore (building a mini coral reef), Deep Sea Explorer (making a mini aquarium), Planet Patrol (creating a miniature solar system), Shark Attack (making a shark tooth necklace), Float that Boat, Chemical Concoctions, Just Squidding Around (dissecting a squid), Carnival Science (building a roller coaster)."

If anyone else knows if they do any of these other activities on the eastern itineary (during non-school holiday time) and if they are on sea days, it might help me figure out some stuff to schedule.

Archived