Mahjongg on the Sky

OceanDreaming2

A few weeks before our recent New England/Canada cruise, I reached out to a contact on the Sky asking if they had Mahjongg sets on the ship.  They checked and I was told they had three.  I've made friends playing Mahjongg on cruises and I posted on our Cruise Critic rollcall pages and also on social media that we would play on seadays.  We arranged to play our first games the afternoon following our Meet and Greet.

It was a total shock when we realized only one of the sets was for the American version of the game.  We had 4 players that afternoon.  Hearing of our plight, the General Manager (the incomparable Jean-Michel Dhelin) made arrangements with the harbor master in Boston to purchase two more sets for American Mahjongg.  That's incredible service!  Imagine our surprise when we realized the sets were just the tiles and not the racks.  (Sorry if this doesn't make sense to a non-player.)  JM had the carpenter on the ship hand-make the racks we needed to play!  

We sincerely appreciated and thanked the GM and his crew for going above and beyond to make a relatively small group of women and men happy.  That's just one reason why we continue to return to Norwegian time and time again.

• Like 2