Kids' experience with The Lodge (or any youth area)?

Greytgrey

We've cruised Disney and Royal Caribbean, but we're looking at our first sailing with Princess on the Regal Princess in February. 

Has anyone sailed with kids who have an opinion about the kids' clubs? My son is 9 and will be in The Lodge. In the past, my kids have found super structured programs (looking at Disney) to be infinitely skippable, but when it's been more of a "hang out and do what you want" or "here's an activity if you want to do it, but if not, fine" OR the "counselor" finding things the kids were doing anyway and making a game/competition out of it, etc. they've REALLY enjoyed themselves.

So, what is the vibe on Princess, and specifically the Regal Princess, if you have experience with it? Trying to mentally prepare myself for any alone time... or none. 🙂 Love my kiddo and excited to go on vacation with him; just trying to set my expectations!

We sailed on Emerald over the summer and 12 year old daughter aged up to teens (she had done teens on Royal Caribbean the year before). It was her favorite cruise. She absolutely loved the teen program and is begging to do another Princess cruise. The lodge was always busy when we were up that way--seemed to be a mix of planned activities and hanging out.

• Thanks 1

Agree--My son loved the Discovery Kids club when we sailed this past May.

Lots of structured activities--if you google, you can find a sample itinerary, but I don't think they push the kids to do them as there are other things as well. Lots of different theme days also, even a pajama party one night.

My son was in the younger group but it was the same for the other age groups as well. He loved it so much! 

They also have a play structure, legos, video games, etc.

Edited by SuzieQ521
  • Thanks 1