no.10 jitney in Nassau

maurick

If you head east.. you'll find Potters Cay (under the easternmost bridge).

You'll find fish shacks, fruit vendors, cold beer and an interesting game of dominos. It's were the locals hang out. (Ask your taxi driver or take a jitney to "Paradise Bridge" from downtown for $1).

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/images/Potters%20Cay/PottersCayShack.jpg

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb2/home.nsf/5e1ae0996af6ebda06256d900056fb01/da7e998639f0b34006256f020062f9bb/Body/22.4A16!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb2/home.nsf/5e1ae0996af6ebda06256d900056fb01/da7e998639f0b34006256f020062f9bb/Body/44.4322!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

It's VERY rustic.. but they have the freshes food in town. Try the Conch Fritters or conch salad with an ice cold beer.

If you want to try a native beach.. head further east to Fort Montegue and Monteque Beach.. You won't find a tourist anywhere..

You should be able to pick up a jitney from the base of the bridge heading east. Ask the driver where to pick up a jitney to get back.. he'll let you know.

(Should be around the bend at Village Road and Shirley Street)

Arawak Cay's Fish Fry is another options.. a little west of town, and there's a fruit market just short of the entrance across the street.

Lighthouse Beach is nearby.. also not many tourists. This is easier to get to .. but not quite as unique an experience.

The #10 bus (jitney) will get you back and forth from downtown.

Thanks...I guess we've all come to count on you!

Rustic we can deal with...his family home in Jamaica is in the mountains..no running water, no phones in the town at all...cistern for drinking water...rustic doesn't scare us.

Printing this out, putting it in my vacation book...if you can think of anything else..i'm all eyes!

Thanks!

Sorry it took me awile to reply LoLa. I am about 15 mins. south of Carrollton. Nice to meet you.

Hey, not a problem ;-)

Carrollton...anywhere near West Ga? I have lots of friends whose children go there....

When are you going to Nassau????

Laurie

I just got back from Nassau and I rode both the bus and took a couple taxis.

The bus drivers get angry if you don't have exact change. In fact he told me it was against the law. After much apologies from me and me just kinda standing there, he gave me change. Local money and dollars are 1:1.

Taxis to paradise island were going for around 11.00pp plus 1 dollar toll.

Do not take a taxi unless you are going to paradise island they are too expensive. Average was 12.00pp to cable beach from the Colonial Hilton(closer to cable beach than port building).

Hey Carlos ;-)

Does the Jitney go to PI?? I am planning on bringing a mess of singles with me--for tips and for taxis/buses....

Thanks,

Laurie

Not Carlos, but I can tell you. The jitney doesn't go to Paradise Island or Atlantis, but they do drop you off at the Paradise Bridge. (check for a bus that says Paradise Bridge on it).

The bridge is quite a hike if you are not a walker. It's about 600 feet long and 73 ft high.. Atlantis Marina Village is a block or so from the end of the bridge, the beach, about a 7-10 minute walk further up the block.

Taxi's from the port are just $4 pp/ Ferryboat is $3pp.

Not Carlos, but I can tell you. The jitney doesn't go to Paradise Island or Atlantis, but they do drop you off at the Paradise Bridge. (check for a bus that says Paradise Bridge on it).

The bridge is quite a hike if you are not a walker. It's about 600 feet long and 73 ft high.. Atlantis Marina Village is a block or so from the end of the bridge, the beach, about a 7-10 minute walk further up the block.

Taxi's from the port are just $4 pp/ Ferryboat is $3pp.

Thanks again! Don't you get tired of answering our questions?? LOLOL. you are very patient!:D

A ferry would be a neat way to travel...i will keep both modes of trans in mind when planning...

Have a great day!

Laurie

i've been to nassau once, but this time i will try the ferry to get to my hotel instead of a scooter.

i will need to go to CS. where do i get off scubagirrl? im thinking near atlantis? tks

Ferries leave from the downtown wharf every 30 minutes, and drop you off under the bridge next to Harbourside. You'll walk about 2 1/2 block to Comfort Suites. Just follow the roadway to the right. There's plenty of guides and crew around to point out the way.

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES!!. I've been to Nassua twice but still feel as if did nt see much. I'm going again (just for a last minute quickie get away) and look forward to taking the 10 jitney. However, I see there are different destinations (in pictures shown). Could you suggestion which 10 we should get on to see the most. Which would give us the best bang for the bucks? We may or may not get off enroute and don't feel neccesarily drawn to the beaches (since we live in Florida)

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES!!. I've been to Nassua twice but still feel as if did nt see much. I'm going again (just for a last minute quickie get away) and look forward to taking the 10 jitney. However, I see there are different destinations (in pictures shown). Could you suggestion which 10 we should get on to see the most. Which would give us the best bang for the bucks? We may or may not get off enroute and don't feel neccesarily drawn to the beaches (since we live in Florida)

All #10 jitneys take the same route. Some state intermittent pick up on the bus, but they all pick up and drop off at the same place. They run from downtown on George Street along West Bay Street to the Cable beach hotels and back.

The number 10a does a similar route, but includes some additional stops more inland. May be of more interest to you, if you're not looking for a shuttle.

All #10 jitneys take the same route. Some state intermittent pick up on the bus, but they all pick up and drop off at the same place. They run from downtown on George Street along West Bay Street to the Cable beach hotels and back.

The number 10a does a similar route, but includes some additional stops more inland. May be of more interest to you, if you're not looking for a shuttle.

Thanks so much scuba girl. I am really looking forward to riding the bus. Sounds weird- I know. :D But as many do who visit this board, my husband and I seem to experience something special whenever we wander beyond the designated tourist spots. We just started cruising and are finding out about the little secrets that more veteran travelers have discovered.:o

Splendour of the Sea 2004, Fantasy 2005, Inspiration 2005, Glory 2006, Sensation 2006 :rolleyes: :o :p

What time (estimate would be fine) does the last bus runs going and coming back?

What time (estimate would be fine) does the last bus runs going and coming back?

Since jitneys are mainly to get the locals to and from work, they will run from around 6am - 6pm daily. Some run a little earlier.. Some will still be cruising into the evening .. trying to make a few extra bucks. But you cannot depend on a bus after 6pm. During rush hour, the 10 minute trip can take 25/30 minutes. Same for a cab.

Archived