Sign and Sail Account

mojean

What is the "block" amount placed on my charge card for one person? Want to know what I have to work with.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=012000&cdt=2004;07;03;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Who say's heaven isn't right here on earth??

Conquest 07/04

Fantasy 07/02

Destiny 05/01

They place a block amount on your card every night based upon your spending for that day. I had a problem with them doing daily blocks then trying to put thru the whole amount of charges the day after the cruise was over, but before the single day blocks were released. This caused a double charge situation for several days until the original blocks expired. It was nasty! I lost total control over that money for those days.

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

next cruise ???? hhhmmmmm.....

mohavemommy nailed it.

And Carnival does *not* pro-actively cancel the daily pre-authorizations, you have to wait for them to expire, which may take up to ten business days.

Using a credit card with a sufficient limit, one should have no problem, however if you are using a debit card, you are definitely going to put yourself in the situation of not having the use of your money for over a week after the end of the cruise.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

However, you can probable eliminate this problem with a call to your bank BEFORE you leave.

Here's what we did. We have Bank of America. About a week before the cruise, I called Customer Service and explained that I will be on a cruise and may have unusual charges on our Debit Card originating from the L.A. area, Mexico or Carnival Cruise Lines. I also explained I was concerned about holds being placed on the card, then not releasing and reducing my funds available.

The rep on the phone thanked me for letting them know about the trip - she said few people do this. She made a note about the dates and said she would change how our account handled holds; that during our trip, holds would be released each night freeing up those funds prior to any charges posting. She also said that she was making notation that there were to be no overdraft fees applied, even if one occurred, if it was related to a hold not releasing for some reason.

We had absolutely no problems whatsoever using our Debit Card, even though we didn't have much in the way of funds to cover any problems. I believe this was because we notified the bank and let them make the proper notes and changes.

I highly recommend everyone do this. It can and will save you a lot of headaches (and extra charges) later on.

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Mark gives excellent advice.

It shows again how valuable these forums are. Who would have known about, or even *thought* about, the implications of using a debit card had they not read the horror stories here? Sometimes we take the "plastic magic" for granted, not ever considering what is going on behind the scenes until it is too late.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Yes. Doubtless.

$510 for three is *not* much at all.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

Yes, you are all very correct. We didn't know this!!! We just got back from the Legend and I called my wife this morning and said "something is wrong here" it looks like dbl payments are being made. She called Carnival, absolutely correct. They charge the daily amt. every day and then submit the full at the end. She said to call the card number in and they will do the reversal sooner. We will make that call before we go next time, or just use a credit card and then pay the amount from the debit card after we return. That way we will still get our spending perks from our debit card, which is nice.

Dave

Navigator of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Carnival Triumph

RCCL Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Legend

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 11-20-04

Thanksgiving Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Along the same lines, you should also call your bank to warn them that you will be going on vacation & may have charges to your credit card out of the country. This may prevent them from putting a hold on your credit card when numerous charges come thru. I have seen the credit card co decline charges when out of the country charges are made.

Inspiration: 11/4/04

After reading some of these threads and the problems that people have... I was wondering if it wouldn't be easier just to bring cash for your sail and sign account. Is this acceptable? I am cruising in September without my DH and kids, and thought I'd just bring $500.00 to $700.00 cash to place on my account. Can I do this? Or do they still require a credit card or debit card?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;9;19;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Girls Only Conquest!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;2;12;11;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Sensation Family Cruise

Yes, you can bring just cash. Just be careful! That stuff isn't replaceable if it gets lost or stolen. icon_smile.gif

If you want to work on a "cash only" basis, let them know when you check-in at the dock. Then when you get on board, you will need to visit the Purser's Desk and place a deposit on the account. (I believe this is $250 per person for a 7-day cruise, but I could be wrong on that.)

You will then draw against this deposit as you use your S&S card. When you get close to running out, they will let you know and you will have to visit the Purser's desk to apply more funds.

We took a mixture of cash, traveler's cheques and our debit card (which we used for the S&S Card). Towards the end of the cruise, we found we have several hundred in Traveler's Cheques left, so we went down to the Purser's Desk and had them apply these towards our S&S account. Buying it down basically. Made for less of an impact on the checking account when we got back home. You could do this with cash as well, knowing the Debit or Credit Card was there backing up any purchases you didn't plan on....like the ol' Art Auction or a spool of fine gold chain. icon_wink.gif

Mark ºoº

I guess my question is...If I have a 510.00 shipboard credit and I have prepaid my gratuities and I am not doing any excursions through the ship and I do not drink more than a few drinks per day, then how much of a "hold" would they put on my CC per person? Is there a certain amount that is standard right off the bat?

icon_eek.gif $250 per person per day?!?!?!?!?

Now, I'm the first to admit that I am a VERY big spender (why I cut up all my credit cards and work on a cash only basis now) but that number seems EXTREMELY high...I'm not alloting that much for my cruise at all. I figured $100/day, tops (not a big drinker, only doing two excursions) Does that seem low for a 7 day cruise???

~J

Miracle 6/26!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My son and I leaving next Sat.with a friend of ours who will be in the cabin with us. Can she put a CC or cash for her own sign and sail or will it have to be under one name? I don't want to be responsible for her spending. Just mine and my sons. Is $500 cash deposit enough for a 5 day cruise. We do not drink and may plan for 1 or 2 excursions.

From my experience, been on 2 carnival cruises, the credit card used on the account is for all members of the cabin. I don't believe they have a way to distinguish or add multiple cards for different individuals.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;1;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jan. 9 Carnival Victory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;1;8;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Jan. 8 Carnival Conquest

5/24/99 Carnival Holiday

1/05/03 Carnival Elation

1/09/05 Carnival Victory

1/08/06 Carnival Conquest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amber281:

I don't believe they have a way to distinguish or add multiple cards for different individuals.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They most certainly do. You take care of setting this up at check-in.

demon2.gif

namelogo.png

I have been reading this thread and now I am wondering if maybe I should just take cash for my S&S. I am planning on using my Paypal debit card (has funds in it from selling ebay items) but I am wondering if they put holds on it and then I use up all the money with holds and then they try put the actual charge through that maybe the account won't have enough in it to take both. Of course I would not charge more than I had available in there. How do they handle this if it happens? Anyone know?

Nancy

sailing Conquest 6/27/04

And the Valor 6/12/05

We started out with a debit card. But when I started to run the bill up with infirmary bills, we went to the purser's desk and changed to a credit card. They assurred us that all charges would be placed on the credit card. WELL THEY LIED! icon_mad.gif Everything up to the point that we changed was put on the debit card and this included the infirmary bills. All charges after went to the cc. I called Carnival and they said that's the way it usual works but they will see if the charges can be reversed and applied to the correct card. But, she didn't hold out to much hope. I already sent my E-mail to Bob Dickerson.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since our 5/30/04 sailing on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Nancy, My post up above is just what type of card we used. It was a Paypal too. I did have enough for the daily transactions and also enough for the final. I am still waiting for the reversals on the daily because they took everything at the end. It really sounds stupid, but that's the way they do it. I am not sure if you are getting low. They must put the daily right through in your case and then let you know you are getting low. We like using it because of the money we get back for using it. That's why I said, next time I will use a charge card and then when I get home, use the PP card and pay on the credit card. That way, I will still get the bonus money back from PP. I hope this helps, but it's is nice to get money back when tou spend. Especially large amt,s, I sometimes get 30-50 back from PPal. It's a nice perk.

Dave

Navigator of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Carnival Triumph

RCCL Majesty of the Seas

Carnival Legend

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess 11-20-04

Thanksgiving Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

For the poster who has $510 shipboard credit, and doesn't think they'll need more....

Carnival told me that even though I already had $500 already on my account, I would still have to place $350 on it (I believe that was per person but don't remember). Whatever is the normal amount you need to put down - I still have to do it.

Now, we all know that what one Carnival rep says isn't always what is true....just sharing what I was told. He clearly told me it's like the credit isn't there. When I'm embarking, I'll have to put what everyone else puts down. He also said that once on board, I can go spending the credit already on the account....and anything not spent would be returned at the end of the cruise.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Paradise 6/27

Thanks for the info. I pulled my DOCs and copuldn't find a specific dollar amount. You would think that they would have that info so people could be prepared. What if you wanted to use your debit card but didn't have 350.00 per person in your checking account? What would they do then? Just curious.

Jacqui said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>$250 per person per day?!?!?!?!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not PER DAY, per person per cruise. Again I believe that is the amount they require for a cash-based account as an initial deposit for a 7-day cruise.

This would also be the amount that you would have to have available on your Debit Card, and they will pre-auth that amount when you check-in for the cruise. It will release, as I mentioned above, but you do need to make sure you have enough on the card to cover this.

For us, 2 adults, we had $1000 in our checking account and that was plenty. Especially when I bought down the account with Traveler's Cheques later on the cruise. The final debit against our checking account was only $450.

Mark ºoº

Click here for links to The Review

Archived