Formal Dinner Question

LuvTheBoat

Can I get away with just wearing a shirt and tie on Costa Med. or do I need to bring a sportcoat? I went on a carnival cruise and they bearly followed the no shirt/ no shoes / no service rule. I've heard Costa is a little more strict.....any help is greatly appreciated.

COSTA MED 4/2/06

that depends, how old are you.

if you have a sportcoat i would bring one, there are two formal nights on a 7 day carib cruise.

costa's website says "In the Caribbean, two nights will be informal evenings where men are requested to wear sports coats while ladies wear resort attire"

can you get away with it? ya probably, no one is going to throw you off the boat. will you look different and underdressed? ya...

whats the major hiccup with suit/sport coat if i may ask?

I'm 28.....and I dress up in a shirt and tie every day. Sport coat is not required in my job. I have just always felt that when I'm off....I AM OFF.....100% relaxation. And I don't really want to spend all kinds of money on a sport coat when I won't have to wear it again. I'll wear one if I need to...but I would rather not...

Just got off the Med. 3/12. Most men were wearing a sport coat and tie or a suit. Not many tuxes on this cruise. Better to be safe than sorry, I would pack the sport coat if you are planning on eatting in the dinning room for dinner. If you want to do the more casual dinning thing you can always eat at the buffet they have most everything that is offered in the dinning room, and no jacket required. Happy cruising...Jodi:)

We had folks in tux's, suits, sports jackets and me who forgot the suit jacket in a nice botton down shirt.

I even asked the crusie director b/c I forgot it.........."suggested" is what he said. Even for Club Medusa "suggested"

I think they just don't want people showing up in sandels and shorts/jeans

We as a family enjoy dressing up, but plenty of people do no follow the dress code and no one seems to care. On formal night plenty of men were not dressed up. They are dressed in casual plants, jeans, shorts etc.. Golf shirts & T-shirts. as for shoes sandals & sneakers etc.. nobody was saying anything to anyone as they walked into the dinning room not meeting the dress code.

LuvTheBoat, People can get away with anything. I ended up spending more on new clothes for my wife and I than we paid for the cruise. I was so glad that we did. Getting dressed and enjoying our 6 course dinner each night was one of the highlights of our cruise. It's just respectful of others to comply with dress codes. Formal night is a gala event and everybody gets in the spirit of the evening and dons their finest. I think it would say something about ourselves if we wore less than our best! Dinner on a cruise is an event every night, part and parcel of both dinner and the evening entertainment. There are great places for shows, music, and dancing and I was so glad that I wore nice clothes and was able to see that I wasn't at work anymore and was just another cool cruiser!

Archived