Cave Tubing without Walking

mrc1961

Today I just found out that foot pain I've had the last few weeks is a broken bone and am in a boot cast for 12 weeks!

Does anyone know of a Belize cave tubing adventure that doesn't require a lot of walking? ( I can take the boot off when I shower and sleep -- or float down a river in an innertube).

Jennifer

My daughter (5yo) had one of those cast. She used a skip step and never slowed down. You should give it some time (if you have some). See how well you get around on it. What does your doctor say?

Some tours use the government site to start from (50 minute walk). Other use the resort (20 minutes).

If you really want to do it, work with your doctor and tour operator. Kept going until you think it's not possible.

The trial is a well-worn path, like a nature trial in your local park. There is loose gravel/stones next to the river, so a little easy going is required.

Jennifer

I just got back from cave-tubing with Yhoni on 3/15. The walk can be 30 minutes ( this is how far most of the cruise tours go ) or if you go for the additional cave it's a good 40-45 minutes.( which is where Yhoni goes to)

Within the first 200 yards you have to walk thru a river - about mid-shin deep and 40 ft wide. The path is maintained by the Belize Gov't. and they put in 2"/10" to hold the dirt in place for steps.

The first 1/3 goes up and down on carved steps and rock croppings. You step on tree roots, loose shale and its a very uneven ground.

The last 2/3 is the best - thats flat and a easy walk.

It hadn't rained much lately so the trail was dry and even dusty. The tree cover prevented sun burn.

If you could put a garbage bag over the cast and use a foldable cane to help you - you could do it.

Or better yet - get the two best looking strong guys you can find to carry you.:cool:

Adapt and overcome.

J

I dont know your physical condtion, so take that into account. I had a broken bone in my foot like that once. I could walk pretty good in the cast and could probably have done the walk in the cast. (We cave tubed last year). That said, your mileage may vary/

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait til the last minute and make a decision.

If I decide to go, once I make it to the entrance sight, I would shed the boot. Would one of the guides hang on to it while I floated own the river?

Jennifer

You may be able to leave it in the bus or you may be getting around so good with it that you will not need to shed it. Lord knows, I could trek just about everywhere in mine after a few days.

Dont know your exact situation, but my foot got better and I went on vacation, stepped on an uneven surface and re-broke it (which is why I wore the D@*& thing for months). The walk is somewhat uneven, but when you have to stand in the river, you will be standing on rocks and holes etc. That is why they tell you to wear shoes. I would just keep it on throughout the tubing. Then shed the "boot" when you get back on the bus where it can dry. YOu sure dont want to re-break anything...take it form someone who knows.

Archived