Camp Carnival Questions

Auntdoi

I have a ten year old cruising with us and she would like to know more about the Camp Carnival. Can anyone give me some insight?

What kinds of activities do they do?

Does it cost anything?

What are the hours?

When do you have to check in?

What are the rules as far as can they leave when they want?

Are they licensed and what are the ratios?

I know, lots of questions...but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

All kids that I have traveled with, including mine, have absolutely LOVED Camp Carnival. My daughter did a dance class, with the Carnival dancers, arts and crafts, a pajama party,ect. They also got special seating all together for one of the shows. I couldn't pull her out of there.

Also, I believe the hours are from 7 or 8 am until 10 pm. After that, its considered paid babysitting. Some of the ships have them closing at lunchtime or various times but its never more than an hour or so.

If you have any other specific questions, just ask.

Thanks, it sounds like she's going to have a great time at Camp Carnival.

If she chooses, can she stay on the ship while we are off in port? Or do they even have activities while we are in port?

Thanks, it sounds like she's going to have a great time at Camp Carnival.

If she chooses, can she stay on the ship while we are off in port? Or do they even have activities while we are in port?

They can stay on the ship if you choose. We did half the time with them then went back on board, changed, ate, took them to camp and got back off the boat. There was something going on on those days although I don't remember exactly what.

10 year olds check themselves in and out of Camp Carnival.

My little girl age 8 on our last cruise absolutely loved Camp Carnival. Every morning she was begging to go. She especially loved the nighttime activites. You do have to pay after 10:00 but it is not much. Several nights we went to pick her up around midnight and she was not ready to go! Crazy!

I don't think you can leave your kids on board on port days, I don't know, maybe you can, but to me if anything would happen to my child I'd want to be in close proximity.

Camp Carnival is great! My kids have enjoyed it each of our 4 previous cruises. My daughter was 9 our first cruise. She initially didn't want to go to Camp Carnival, but after the first day she loved it.

There is an after hours party one night of each cruise that costs extra. If you are one of the first to sign up they usually give you a prize of some sort. The Camp Carnival activities include things like scavenger hunts(getting all types of people to give their signatures around the ship), painting Carnival T-shirts, meeting the dancers back-stage, pizza pig-out, ice cream sunday making contests, video game tournaments, family name that toon etc. etc. She should make a lot of life-long frinds. My daughter still keeps in touch with a friend she made over over three years ago.

Make SURE you go to the Camp Carnival orientation on the first night of the cruise(check you Carnival Capers for the place and time). Otherwise, she may feel a little left out and not make friends as quickly.

They can stay on the ship during port days. I have known of a lot of people who's kids didn't want to go ashore. I'm almost certain they have Camp Carnival activities going on on port days. The counselors are very professional and seem to love their jobs. They are supposed to all be trained in first aid and CPR, and have training or experience in child care.

Good Luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Shawn

Auntdoi

Activities for her age group include swimming under the stars- only the kids signed in to camp are there and the camp staff, pizza making-the kids go into the dining room at the back of the ship (where the buffet ususally is) and make their own and sit around chatting while it is cooked. They will have one all night/or late night party which they love.

There is no fee for camp carnival although we always give them a tip at the end because the staff are awsome.

She will be allowed to sign in and out herself according to the camp . For my son I tell him I do not allow him to sign himself out but we arrange what activities he wants to participate in so that he is not stuck there all day. (stuck is my word-he would love to stay all day).

You are allowed to leave your child while you are in port. I never have though.

If your child attends the farewell party they will get a gift from the staff. This is my son's favourite part. He still uses his knapsack that he got 3 cruises ago.

Camp Carnival is the most important reason we keep going on Carnival cruises rather than on other lines.

The first thing my 10 year old son did when we got on our cruise last month was to go to Camp Carnival to get a list of activities for the week. Then he circles and memorizes what he wants to do. This was his 4th Carnival Cruise this year, and he just loves Camp Carnival.

We let him check himself in and out, but he always knows where we are (I tell him ahead where I am situated -- usually on a lounge chair on a sun deck) and he checks in with me frequently throughout the day.

This year, he really loved the scavenger hunts. He always meets other kids there. And, he really likes to stay up there really late -- yes, I have to pay the babysitting fees after 10 am, but it's worth it bc he loves it and it's his vacation too. Even if they just watch movies at night -- I don't have to worry about him in the cabin alone while I am out having a good time.

I've always found the Camp Carnival counselors to be wonderful.

I hope this helps.

Auntdoi

Activities for her age group include swimming under the stars- only the kids signed in to camp are there and the camp staff, pizza making-the kids go into the dining room at the back of the ship (where the buffet ususally is) and make their own and sit around chatting while it is cooked. They will have one all night/or late night party which they love.

There is no fee for camp carnival although we always give them a tip at the end because the staff are awsome.

Swimming under the stars and chatting while your very own pizza cooks?!?! Can I go to Camp Carnival?? Is there a 25-30 group? :p

About the Camp Carnival tip. Do you tip the camp and let them divide up the money or do you tip specific people who deal with your childs age group? Also, what would be an "appropriate" tip for the Camp Carnival staff? I know this amount could vary, but I don't even know where the ball park is. Thanks!

From another thread, the counselor that was answering questions says that some people do tip them (they are paid a normal rate not $50 a month like some crew) and then they pool it and divide it. She also said that yes, some people have given phone cards but they found that hard to divide.

Archived