Paradise Questions

Auntdoi

It's been a while since I've been on a cruise and I've never cruised Carnival, so I have some questions. Hopefully you all can help...I relied on these boards for my Alaska cruise three years ago and you were all so gracious and helpful! I don't know what I would have done without the wealth of information on these boards!

My friend and I are cruising with her ten year old daughter on the Paradise the Baja for four nights on May 1.

We wanted to know about...

Alcohol...Can we bring wine on board? If so, how much?

How much is the Soda card for kids and is it worth it, if we are going to be off of the ship in ports for two of the days?

What are the secrets of this ship that newbies wouldn't know? Or how about the top ten things to know about this ship? Good and bad.

What are the best excursions in Ensenada? Or is it better to just play it by ear and find things to do once you get there? (Keeping in mind there is a ten year old in tow).

Is the weekday cruise really a "Party Cruise?"

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer!!! :D

As far as the soda card goes, I don't feel it is a good value, and to make it so, my kid would have had to drink much more soda than she needs. But that's really just a matter of opinion; I'm not a big fan of soda, even diet.

My friend and I are cruising with her ten year old daughter on the Paradise the Baja for four nights on May 1.

I was on the Paradise in November. Maybe I can help.

We wanted to know about...

Alcohol...Can we bring wine on board? If so, how much?

My DD and I each took one of the BIG bottles of wine in our carry-ons. At the present time, Carnival doesn't say an exact amount, but it can be brought on at embarkation only - not from the ports.

How much is the Soda card for kids and is it worth it, if we are going to be off of the ship in ports for two of the days?

The kid's soda cards average about $4/day. I wouldn't buy one, since it's such a short cruise. Are y'all driving to the port? You can take a 'reasonable amount' of soft drinks on board with you - can also bring them back from any port.

What are the secrets of this ship that newbies wouldn't know? Or how about the top ten things to know about this ship? Good and bad.

I enjoyed the gym a coupla mornings, not something I normally do on a cruise, but DD is a big fitness freak - so I joined her. Nice facilities.

At the Pizzeria, they made great (!) calzones.

In the formal dining rooms, you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino w/meals.

Children under the age of 12 can have comp soft drinks w/dinner - dining room only, not Lido.

What are the best excursions in Ensenada? Or is it better to just play it by ear and find things to do once you get there? (Keeping in mind there is a ten year old in tow).

We just hung loose and wandered around on our own. Tablemates said they did the Fox Studio Tour and enjoyed it. (They had 2 kids - around 8 and 12.)

Is the weekday cruise really a "Party Cruise?"

In my cruising experience, I've found the weekend cruises more so. There was a great festive atmosphere on the Paradise, but no more party-hardy than any other cruise.

Thanks for the help...esp the tip about free soft drinks in the dining room for kids!

You mentioned driving in and that brought up another question. We live locally (about 25 minutes from the dock) and were wondering whether we should get a ride both ways or if it's better to park there. How does that work and how much does it cost?

I really don't know how much the parking was, but there's a nice parking area right there at the pier. My DD lives in L.A., and she took care of all that. (I usually cruise from N.O., and the parking there is $10 or $12 per day, so I would think it would be somewhere around that amount.)

If you're that near the port of Long Beach, I'd probably get someone to drop me off....save that parking fee for some fabulous adult beverages!:D

Auntdoi,

I can help with some thoughts too.... I also live local and just drove there. Parking is $10 a day and I just did the cruise 2 weeks ago.. I paid $48 for parking.. Was worth it as I could go when I wanted to and take what I wanted..

I don't think the soda card is worth it for a 4 day.... And the ice tea is plentiful....

I know some cruisers took on wine but Cotton probably knows more on that.. I'm not sure the limitations...

I did the tour at Fox Studios in Ensenada and loved it... See my photos on Webshots.. We had a full bus, several kids and they said they loved it too. They were very curious in the film making.. Plus you have a couple of interactive things.. Your going in May so it will be warmer but it was so cold 2 weeks ago, no one wanted anything to do with the water stuff.. It may be different for you then...

The week I went was somewhat party week... It was spring break but it was about 50/50.... I went solo and had a great time....

My only complaints about this ship is no thermostat/heater in the rooms and it was really cold..... And the photo dept... Hopefully they get that fixed and updated..... Otherwise everyone was friendly and had helpful..

Have a great time......

Archived