Snorkel Equipment In Tahiti

skp4667

We are going to Tahiti in May and would like to snorkel. Does anyone have any suggestions where we can get snorkel equipment to rent? We live in Florida but we don't want to purchase the equipment as this will probably be the only time we snorkel.

Thank you,

skp4667

Most of the excursions will have snorkel and mask, but they are usually one size and very old. They do not have any fins. There are times when the current is strong and if you are not a strong swimmer you need fins. Equipment is not offered by the ship. The tours are all supplied by local guides.

I went to our local K-Mart last week and picked up some inexpensive snorkel, mask & fins for $9.99. I have a small face and these sets had adult sizes of small, medium and large. They also had the mask and snorkle packaged together for $6.99 and find for $7.99 in small, medium and large sizes. Try Wal-mart of K-Mart in the sporting goods section or pool toys area. If you purchase and won't use them again leave them on the ship or ask your room steward to give them to someone else. The local sporting goods stores had better quality that would last several years but I did not want to pay 4 times the amount that I paid.

Hey Quiltingqueen, I quilt as well, specializing in Hawaiian and Tahitian patterns and styles(also Japanese embroidery). This I blame on my teacher, who lived in Hawaii.

skp - First I would check out the local dive shops. They might rent or even have second hand equipment at an affordable rate. You really don't want to use the tour's snorkles - who knows how many mouths those have been in. Wal Mart, K Mart and those types of stores will offer a variety of items - purchase early and check them out. You'd hate to have a leaky mask spoil a dive.

That being said, go to the dive shop and get some hard soled diving booties - yes, these can also be purchased at the aformenetioned stores, but they have the thin soils and aren're recommended for the area. Tahiti has these nasty black spined urchins that are everywhere (except swimming pools) and will serious wreck a vacation if you step on one. The hard soled booties are also great for walk the surf or the deck. They are comfortable enough to walk in and fit inside most flippers. also pick up a good pair of dive gloves - now, I know you think I work for a dive shop. Nope, just trying to prevent you from making some of the mistakes I have in the past. If you rinse them after each dive - these things will last forever (the booties and the gloves - not the depatment store stuff). They are pricey, but so is a ruined vacation.

Hope this helps!

Charlie

Archived