Anyone been to Alaska

My DH & I went to Alaska two summers ago the second week of August. They were experiencing a very hot, dry spell that year and the temps went up to the high 80s. We loved it but the natives didn't. They like the rain and damp weather. We did the Tracy Arms Tour from our ship, went whale watching and then rented cars for two of our ports of call. I'm going back again this July with a girlfriend this time and we've made arrangements with a private tour company recommended by Budget Qeen to do city bus tours this time in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The name of the Company is MGT (Mighty Great Trips - mightygreattrips.com) I'm not expecting the weather to be the same as last time but I will pack with peelable clothing for our tours (turtle neck shirt under a heavy pull over sweater and a sweat jacket with hood on top. I'll also bring a cheap, plastic poncho and an umbrella in the event of rain. Hope this helps you.

We had a 7 night Alaskan Cruise last August towards the end of

the month on the Holland American Oosterdam. Sorry to say, it

rained the entire trip except for a relatively clear morning when we

sailed near the Glaciers and the final night when we docked in

Vancouver, BC. Could not even see the snow on the mountain

tops, if there was any, due to the low-hanging clouds.:(

Floridasunshine,

Did you still ejoy the cruise and feel it was worthwhile? We always wanted to do an alaskan cruise but since we did a caribbean one we aren't sure. It was so nice on the decks with the sunshine, we wondered if it was to cold to be out on the decks for an alaskan cruise and what do you do instead? Thanks

The Solariums, especially on the Radiance and Serenade, provide a nice 'tropical' experience and place to bask in the warm, no matter what the weather. (Vision's Solarium is OK too.)

It can be cool on deck at night; though we still went out to see the waves. I brought a vintage black fur cape to wear out there on formal nights (where else you gonna wear it, right?). Days were crisp but nice, rainy weather one day on our May '04 trip didn't stop us from whale watching, and didn't seem to bother the whales, either.

Even if it rained every day, it would still have been a great trip. (Though glad it didn't!)

Sarah, You'll love the Vision in Alaska. Have been on her twice now - Alaska this past September and Mexico last week. Have done Alaska in August a couple of times. There will be snow to see but the temps will be gorgeous. I agree with going to the Alaska boards. LOADS of info there. The Vision crew is awesome. The Hubbard Glacier run is my absolute favorite. Captain George got us so close..it was breathtaking. Wish I was going too!

Well, since it rained pretty much the whole time I was on the

ship in Alaska,I probably am not the one to ask about being out

on the deck! But since I am from Fla. I was not really onboard for

a tropical type experience, more or less just to tour the towns

we stopped at and to hopefully see wildlife. The tours were ok,

but once again, all in the rain. We had a Salmon Bake dinner to

attend in Juneau which was not much fun in a downpour (held

outside). It was only drizzly on the Whale Watching boat ride

and we did see whales, so that was great. The morning we were

at the Glaciers was clear and those were spectacular. But while on the

ship, we did mainly do inside activities: Trivia Games, Bingo,

Shows, Spa, Afternoon Tea, lots of eating and drinking! I would hope

that our week of rainy weather was a fluke and not the norm, so I'd

plan for an Alaska cruise, just be aware it will be chilly (50's) and

bring rain gear!

Cruised Alaska two summers ago in August. It was AMAZING!! The scenery is fantastic! We went on the Diamond Princess.

FIRST....DEFINITELY HAVE A BALCONY!!!

Went whale watching - saw MANY, MANY breeching humpbacks! Definitely worth it!!

ALso went deep sea fishing with my 13 yo son - caught sooo many salmon. They slice them up, clean them and ship them home to you (for a nominal fee) - they were the best salmon ever!!

Also went horseback riding in the mountains - very relaxing...

I'm from L.A. - doing my first caribbean cruise in July. It will be quite a change from Alaska (and Mexico), but if I enjoy it half as much, it will be great!

You can't go wrong with Alaska.

Archived