Something different in Cozumel

luckyfincruiser

I thought I'd share our recent excurision in Cozumel while cruising on the Ascent last week.  Although we also enjoy beach days, we were looking for something different.  Since we do enjoy bird watching at home and previously have very much enjoyed birding on the Eastern Shore and last year in Curacao, I started researching birding tours in Cozumel. I came across Elvis Jimenez and his company Gala Naturaleza. Our friends who have been bird watched before were cruising with us and decided they would join in.  I was nervous about them hating it but long story short, it was an amazing five hour excursion.  Elvis found and we observed 51 species of birds on the island- several of which are endemic or only found on Cozumel!  I was so excited to see both the Mango hummingbirds and the Cozumel Emerald hummingbirds...a lot!

ELvis met us at the port and we drove to several locations on the island.  He has a great sense of humor and is extremely knowldedgable.  We had fun and laughed a lot.  Our friends said they were hooked.  We ended with a relaxing drive around the island before he took us back to the ship.  

If you are looking for a nature tour when in Cozumel, I highly recommend!  Here were are on our tour! 

Gala Naturaleza | San Miguel de Cozumel

F22ABE8B-185C-4DF1-B03D-F9D1DDD715B1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

@luckyfincruiser I was wondering how hot you were on this tour? I don't do well in sweltering heat persay, but this does seem very interesting!

Might help people answer depending on when you are visiting Cozumel.

And what you consider to be "sweltering". DW thinks anything over 75 farenheit is sweltering. To me its anything over 85 farenheit. 75-85 is what I enjoy.

Right now it should be in the upper 70's- 80's. By April - May you will probably melt.

Edited by bguppies