Carnival's Imagination

mstraceyag

I havent read too much about this ship and I wonder why...could it be because the food wasnt what everyone hyped it up to be? Hmmmmm! Well let me say that for my first cruise it was fun. All of the pictures that I looked at prior to going on the cruise made me very familiar. Its funny cause there is such a difference in opinion from one person to the next when your reading the boards. Let me say that the ship was fun, always something to do but the 10 lbs that folks said you will put on while cruising, oh my goodness, WHEN, HOW?

We, 4 of us, went to the dining room on two occasions, formal night and the last night on the cruise. Being from Boston its really hard to top our lobsters we get but dammmmn, what happened? I ordered two lobsters, because thats what I was told to do prior to goin on the ship, and took one bite and sent both of em back. They were tasteless and extremely tough!!!! The waiter was very accomodating but I was so upset because I was looking forward to eating everything in site. The buffet's every mean every day was very disappointing! For the most part, the only "hot" thing you would get is an omlet which is cooked right there in front of you if you dont die of starvation first! The food was either luke warm or cold, pasta was always undercooked no matter what kind it was, salad, side, sauced whatever! There was a variation of foods and I was ready to try everything cause Im that kind of girl but who wants to eat stuff that isnt cooked or doesnt taste good? We forgot about the sushi bar until the last night, this was good.

Other than the food we had a blast! The croud was definately a younger one but the four of us fit right in. The first night we "found" the "club" and showed em how to do "it" Boston style! IT was a blast! This lil spot gets really really crowded so if you have issues with that, find somewhere else to do your thing. The shows were just ok! We left the x-rated comedian, he really wasnt funny at all just obnoxious! The keryoke man, oh my goodness, he was a hoot!!!! Activities up on deck were constant whether it be with the ships doing or just watching the "kids" getting drunk and acting silly. Oh if I had a penny for every....I'd be rich!

The islands, Caymens and Jamaica were great and a lot of fun. We say a dog, Gonzi, take a float down the beach in the water and in Jamaica, oooh it was so fun, jetskiing for the first time was definately a memorable adventure. And shopping, ooooh my goodness, I didnt pay anything for so much stuff.

Safe to assume that I would love to go on a cruise again, maybe on a ship that will provide me with that 10 lbs that I was seeking on this one! ;)

Mstraceyag,

I'm glad you did post about the Imagination. I have been trying to find something on this ship for a few months now. I will be traveling on the ship on 4/20. I have never been on Carnival before and was a little concern because I could not find any recent information on the ship. I was glad to hear you had a good time but the food issue is still concerning, although I don't want the 10lbs. I do want good food. How was the ship was it clean? How are the cabins? On Royal Caribbean the cabins are smaller than Carnival.

I was on the Imagination March 9th. I thought the ship was very clean and in good condition. The staff were friendly - however this was only a 4 night cruise and I find I don't get to know them as well as on a longer cruise. I never passed a room steward in the hallway without them smiling and saying hello.

I ate in the dining room every night, and always ordered whatever beef was on the menu (filet mignon, chateaubriand, sirloin, prime rib). I thought it was all very good, better than I expected.

I ate lunch and breakfast from the restaurant on the Lido deck. However since I love making a salad from the salad bar I never ate any of the hot food from the buffet, that doesn't appeal to me for lunch. The salad bar is great, all kinds of things to add. I had pizza one day, not as good as I remember it from before but still pretty good. Breakfast is about what you would expect with a buffet, but I loved the fresh fruit. Throughout the day we also enjoyed the french fries, and the frozen yoghurt

We had an ocean view cabin, the cabins are a good size with lots of room to store everything. The steward was excellent.

This cruise went to Key West and Calica, unfortunately we couldn't dock at Calica because of high winds so we missed the port. Also the excursion we booked in Key West was cancelled due to weather as well. So that was very disappointing, but the weather was sunny and warm and we enjoyed relaxing on the ship. It was very, very windy - sometimes spray hit enough that a whole group of people would squeal - and that was on the deck above the Lido deck! A long way from the ocean. All the railings had salt on them. It was difficult to walk around because of the wind.

There were a lot of spring breakers on the ship which is to be expected - but they didn't bother me, it was good people watching. One night some partiers down the hall awoke me. There were also lots of families, I couldn't believe how many babies in strollers I saw. Lots of seniors too. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I also was on the Imagination on 3/4 to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. I have to agree about the food, it wasn't as good as I expected - If you like Denny's you won't have a problem with the food.

The ship was very clean and people were also friendly. On our sailing there were not many young children - I think I counted 5 during the whole trip...there were mainly college kids.

The cabins are pleanty big enough for 2 people. we had no problem with storage even in the bathroom.

I heard a rumor when leaving the ship that our cruise led the all time record for most alcohol consumed durning a cruise in 1 day. The ships supply was depleted by 2/3 and they had to restock when we hit the islands (don't know if its true but those college kids sure can drink)

Cruisingmama,

We will be on the 4/20 Imagination also! There aren't too many on our roll call so far, but it's getting close. :) We will have our DD age 13 and DS age 8 on board with us. Are you cruising with kids? We have been on the Imagination before and really enjoyed it. We thought the food was pretty good as well as the service. Also, the ship was very clean. This will be our first time going to Calica, however since the port was changed from Cozumel. We will probably end up going to Playa Del Carmen for the day.

I think you will have a great time!

You should have a great time on the ship. As others have said, its very clean, and the staff was very friendly.

Granted its been about a year, but we thought the food was very good. As for the lobsters... my boyfriend loved them. Both him and one of our tablemates ordered two, and cleaned their plates.

We will be sailing this ship on 4/20 also and will be bringing

4 of our 5 kids. (2,5,6 and 9 the wk before we leave) This is their first

cruise, so glad to hear there will be some kids their age.

Does anyone know if there is a mini-golf course on this ship?

Thanks

The Imagination was our first cruise/vacation together 3 years ago. We had only known each other a couple of weeks when we booked and a couple of months when we cruised. DW and I had a wonderful time - food included. Didn't gain 10 lbs. though. Only a 5 day cruise.

Note to OP: From Boston? Impossible for cruise ship lobster to impress you. Probably, caribbean lobsters. Different animal.

Hubby & I were on the ship in January. We stopped at Key West and Calica. We didnt sign up for any excursions. We knew what we wanted to do in Key West as we have been there before for vacation and in Calica we took a taxi to Playa del Carmen and wondered around and went to Carlos n Charlies. Lots of shops there and a beach too!

There was a mini put-put course on the ship. It was small but I would bet the kids would like it. The day we went up there it was too windy and the wind was blowing our balls around so we gave up. :)

Staff was very friendly and ship was in decent shape.

I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised about the size of the cabins...binsweet and I shared one and we didnt bump into each other once...did we bin? This particular room could accomidate 4, not sure how but there was 4 twin beds. The bathroom was a pretty good size as well which also surprised me. I found all the staff to be very friendly to the cruisers.

Is there anyone who is cruising soon that would be willing to email me so I could ask a favor...mstraceyag@hotmail.com. :D

Happy sailing!

Good for you Cruisingmama! My DH & I sailed without the kids the last time we were on the Imagination. This will be the kids first cruise on Carnival. They enjoyed the Disney Wonder a couple of years ago.

Jtg96 - will you be taking your kids to the CC orientation the first night? We are planning on doing this and hopefully they will meet other kids and get comfortable with the program so they can at least spend a little time without us;)

I also was on the Imagination on 3/4 to Grand Cayman and Jamaica. I have to agree about the food, it wasn't as good as I expected - If you like Denny's you won't have a problem with the food.

The ship was very clean and people were also friendly. On our sailing there were not many young children - I think I counted 5 during the whole trip...there were mainly college kids.

The cabins are pleanty big enough for 2 people. we had no problem with storage even in the bathroom.

I heard a rumor when leaving the ship that our cruise led the all time record for most alcohol consumed durning a cruise in 1 day. The ships supply was depleted by 2/3 and they had to restock when we hit the islands (don't know if its true but those college kids sure can drink)

Denny's? Are you joking? Denny's? If you're that picky,at least compare it to Red Lobster!

First let me say thanks. We booked this cruise about a month ago and have been looking for info off and on since. This is the most we have seen.

We will also be on the 4/20 cruise with 3 kids (9,7,5). This will be their first and the adults first on Carnival. They are also glad to hear there are other kids going.

Kids love going out so they will probably do dinners with us, but may send them to kids club for a pre-dinner cocktail if time and then after for at least one night of dancing. Lot will depend on how they do in kids club. I have some reservations on the 9 year old and the way the club is set up. They just turned 9 and I'm not sure I'm ready to have them signing themselves out and wandering the ship. I think we will have to put on our own rule that they are responsible for making sure sibling are there and can't check out if they are. Does anyone know how many of the activities for that age group are out and about the ship with them on their own? Does anyone know the restrictions on the water slide? We are looking at the Muyil Ruins & Jungle Exploration in Calica, any comments? Key West I think that if we make it off the ship it will be just to wander for a bit.

Cabins - big or should I say little question, 2 adults 3 kids in a 6D, probably roll away from what I'm told. Be brutally honest, what can we expect? What do they do with the roll away during the day? If it disappears and comes back that would help in the getting ready process.

We are looking forward to some time as kids, adults, and family. Hope it turns out that way.

Thanks in advance for comments

sgfun, hi, we are also on the 4/20 sailing, no kids, ours are all grown, but we have been there and done that. Our kids always had a great time. Now for your questions, hopefully others will correct me if I am wrong since it has been awhile. I believe there is a height restriction on the slide, would be kind of hard to check ages. The rollaway will be folded and placed against whatever open wall space there is in the cabin, it will be kind of tight in there when it is open but you will be able to get from one side of the room to the other without stepping on anybody. As far as outside activities without supervision, the only one I am aware of is a scavenger hunt but I think that is only for 10 and up. According to Carnival, we have not yet been on the imagination, but have been on most of her sister ships and if imagination is anything like her sisters, you and your family will have a great time. Maybe we will see you there

My husband and I were on the Imagination 4 day cruise in January on our First Cruise so nothing to compare to. We had a great time and are looking at doing the 5 day cruise on Imagination before the end of the year. The price for this cruise was soo good that it's difficult to find anything to complain about.

I do have to comment on the food, it wasn't as exceptional as everyone raves about. I mean it was good but i am a VERY VERY healthy eater and found it a little difficult at times to find a variety of fruits and veggies. I found the salad bar a little limited and the fruit were always just pears, bananas and oranges. Rarely could I find strawberries or grapes, etc. There were melons but only in the morning. Unless I missed them somewhere, which is quite possible since it was our first time on a ship and there is so much ground to cover. The dinners were good but again I found them lacking veggies. You get a big whopping steak and only 1 piece of broccoli. I only thought about it afterwards that I could have asked for more broccoli... My husband really loved the cookies, frozen yogurt and pizza. Oh I figured out on the last day that you can get a really good ceasar salad at anytime from the pizzeria.

There is always something to do on the ship, like taking TONS of pictures on formal night, hanging out in the hot tubs, or somwhere nice and quiet on the decks at night. I had this idea that the pool was really big and was very surprised at how little it actually is. I think all i remembered where scenes from the loveboat, where it seemed like a big pool. Wasn't a big deal for us cause we only had 1 day at sea and never had to use the swimming pool. Great for the kiddies.

Like I said we had a GREAT time and I think next time I'll be much more accustomed to what to expect food wise so I can adjust.

Hey Tang,

Well let me say that Im not a picky eater by a long stretch of the imagination but found that the "hot" food was always either warm or cold. Did you find the sushi bar? That was good but get their early cause it gets pretty busy. Order two differ kinds so you dont have to go back in line. We didnt go into the pool once, too many college kids sitting around it and would be a mission to get in past them. As binsweet said, there really wasnt a bunch of "kids" on the cruise we went on...3/4-3/9. I was pleasantly surprised about the ship, all the pics I viewed on line made me familiar big time. We had A LOT of fun but I think I will try another ship next time. GOAT CHEESE PIZZA was the sh**.

Ahhhhhhhhh...

The Imagination was our first Carnival cruise, it is what got us hooked.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary on The Imagination. This was our 1st cruise and we are hooked.

The food was good and the service was great.

Archived