dumb airport/port question for restaurants (Newark port/airport)

So we are getting in early in the morning and it will be a few hours before we can do anything at the port in Newark in late May.

We will obviously want breakfast but won't be able to do that in the airport.  I don't know how things are in other airports but in Southern CA airports the restaurants are all by the gates.  Once we get off the aircraft we will have to go get our bags and there is never any restaurants by baggage claim (and obviously won't be able to get back up by the gates.)

Any one have any recommendations?  Things to do?  Restaurant nearby for breakfast?  If we wanted to hang out in the airport what happens to our unclaimed bag at baggage claim?

If we got to the port early is there a restaurant or lounge thing nearby or at the port?  

We also have a special needs teenager with us so they promised us early check in /boarding.

Thanks in advance

if you are cruising out of Cape Liberty, there is nothing to walk to near the pier.  There are restaurants near EWR that you could taxi/Uber to.  I don't want to get too specific since I left the area in 2020.  Since we are talking breakfast, there use to be an IHOP in Elizabeth which may still be there.  Otherwise, I would probably look for a diner.  Or a full service hotel and but breakfast in their restuarant. 

If you're talking about the most direct way from EWR to Cape Liberty, you won't find anything besides a Starbucks and a Lidl (combination I did for breakfast while picking my folks up at Cape Liberty this month) -- it's highways that connect the two.

If you notify a gate agent when you deboard the plane, some airlines will hold your bag in their baggage office, located in the baggage claim level (that's where most unclaimed bags end up immediately anyway). With the new Terminal A open, there are likely to be decent breakfast options in the terminal (on the secure side) regardless of which airline you're flying.

And to state the obvious, you'd be much better off flying in the night before. EWR is notorious for delays, especially as it gets into the summer season. We don't need storms to create the delays either, congestion and air traffic staffing cause as many delays around here as weather.

• Thanks 1