Caye Caulker snorkeling

tjoil

We just got back from Belize last weekend.(March 18) We were on the Carnival Glory. We chartered a boat to snorkel with a great gentleman named Mario. We were the only people on his boat. There were 5 of us. Mario snorkeled with us the whole time. When we first came to a stop about 7 or 8 Nurse sharks surrounded the boat, along with 15 or 20 sting rays. We got to feed the sharks and rays with fish that Mario brought. He pointed out a lot of things we would have never seen without his help. We saw things like a huge lobster, moray ell, a sea cucumber, a sea urchin and numerous beautiful fish and coral shells. After we were done snorkeling, we ate watermelon and Mario told us some history of the Cayes. We talked for 30 minutes about Belize and all the Cayes in the area. Mario was in no hurry to leave. Nor were we. All the time there were about 50 other people scattered around trying to snorkel with the big companies. Bumping into each other and probably not seeing half of what we saw. Mario told me he was only one of two local owners left on the islands. If you are thinking of snorkeling while in Belize look up Mario. You will not regret your decision. He is an awesome man!!!! By the way if you were wondering what it cost us to snorkel for about 2 hours, it was a mere $25 per person. I thought it was a bargain even without all the added extras that Mario provided for us. Do yourself a favor and find MARIO. :cool: :) :) :) :cool:

Heather and "Cat"

I'm sorry but we got in touch with Mario through a guy at the water taxi by the name of Tony. He owned the water taxi that was running for that week. I wish I could help you more than that but if you are adventurous go to Caye Caulker and ask anyone there for Mario Adventures and I'm sure they will know him. It is a very small island and everyone knows everyone. He runs his operation with his son. If you are really interested e-mail me at tjoil1@consolidated.net and I can e-mail you a picture of what Mario looks like. I'm sorry but that is the best I can do for you. Thanks for reading and your interest in my letter. If there is anything I can do to help you any future I would be very happy to help you in any way. Have a nice cruise.

Tjoil - Thanks for the information. I am so glad that you had a wonderful excursion with Mario. I am still trying to decide what I am going to do in Belize. Really want to go to Shark Ray Alley.

Very nice review and just what I'm looking for in Belize the week after next on the Glory!

Were there a variety of excursion vendors at the pier offering to take you snorkeling? I'm not sure if I want to pre-book or kind of wing-it. The $25 / pp is a huge savings over pre-booking.

Also, did you snorkel from the boat? Was it a row boat or something larger? Were you able to go to a beach for a little while?

Thanks,

Jeff

Very nice review and just what I'm looking for in Belize the week after next on the Glory!

Were there a variety of excursion vendors at the pier offering to take you snorkeling? I'm not sure if I want to pre-book or kind of wing-it. The $25 / pp is a huge savings over pre-booking.

Also, did you snorkel from the boat? Was it a row boat or something larger? Were you able to go to a beach for a little while?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff:

Yes, there were a boat load of excursion at the port (No pun intended) If you want my opinion you could save a little time by booking an excursion on shore but I would suggest going out the pier--go to the left about a block or a block and a half and getting on the water taxis to Caye Caulker or wherever you want to go. Just ask where the water taxis are. Water taxi to Caye Caulker roundtrip was $17.50. It is much cheaper but you may have to wait on a water taxi like we did and lost about 1 hour of our time. Relize that $25/pp for snorkeling doesn't include the water taxi. Total was $42.50/pp As far as snorkeling-- we snorkeled from about a 20-22' boat not a row boat. Yes ,once you get back from snorkeling you are free to do what you want. You are paying for snorkeling only. Just be sure you get back on the water taxi in time to get back on the ship. Take about 45 mins to get back from Caye Caulker. Just my opinion but "wing it" It's not that hard. Enjoy your cruise and think of us who are back here working. LOL!!! ;) ;)

We have a mixed marriage...by that I mean, I am a certified diver; my new husband barely swims, i.e, he can dog paddle some. I would like to at least snorkle; he says if they give him a vest he would snorkle. How deep is the water at Shark Ray? Do these private excursions provide a vest for those who are not good swimmers? If the water is a bit choppy, would staying on the boat be an option (not one that I would want as I would like to do this together)?

Another question....someone mentioned snorkling and having to pay the water taxi. Don't want to do that.... so advice is appreciated.

hi........ yes they do give you a vest... the water is deep at shark-ray alley.... there is also a bit of a current and depending on where you are it can be pretty wavey....... a non-swimmer might be comfortable there....caye caulker might be better for a non- swimmer.......

Archived