Fire on the Star Princess

pattison

I just heard from my mother, who is a passenger on the Star Princess cruise going on right now that there was a big fire last night. Horns blew in the middle of the night to signal everyone to lifeboats, lifeboats were lowered to loading position, but it didn't sound like people were put in the boats. Apparently 120 rooms are out of commission on the boat! It sounds like they're headed to Jamaica, and that they might let the passengers off there. That's all the info I have...

I just heard from my mother, who is a passenger on the Star Princess cruise going on right now that there was a big fire last night. Horns blew in the middle of the night to signal everyone to lifeboats, lifeboats were lowered to loading position, but it didn't sound like people were put in the boats. Apparently 120 rooms are out of commission on the boat! It sounds like they're headed to Jamaica, and that they might let the passengers off there. That's all the info I have...

there is a statement on princess homepage , click under the news , on the bottom of the page....

3/23/2006

Statement on Star Princess

This morning at approximately 3:10 am local time, as Star Princess was en route from Grand Cayman to Montego Bay, a fire broke out in the passenger accommodations, and spread to adjacent cabins. Passengers were immediately notified of the fire using the public address system and requested to report to their muster stations. We are currently completing a full passenger check to account for all passengers and crew.

The fire is now out, however there is still residual smoke throughout the affected area. The cause of the fire at this time is unknown.

The ship is carrying a total of 2,690 passengers and 1,123 crew members.

A full damage assessment is being carried out at this point.

Authorities were immediately contacted regarding the incident and we continue to work closely with all relevant parties.

Star Princess sailed from Fort Lauderdale on March 19 on a western Caribbean itinerary with calls at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Princess Cays.

A special number has been set up for inquiries from immediate family of passengers who are currently onboard: 1-800-693-7222.

Glad your mom's Ok. Let us know when you hear from her again.

Latest update from my mother, who is onboard...

The boat just docked in Montego Bay. It was supposed to arrive at 7AM, but it's arriving late because when the fire started, they came to a full stock to prevent the wind from flaming the fire.

All passengers are STILL in their muster stations, after 6.5 hours, with life jackets on. They did a roll call and then came around handing out water. The captain is making regular updates via PA. No one is allowed back to their rooms. The whole ship apparently smells of smoke.

No word whether anyone is injured.

As the press release said, the fire started at 3:10AM. My mother says it started on the port side of the boat, in the rear quarter, somewhere around decks 10 or 11. The Lido deck is closed, as there appears to be some damage there.

The captain came on the PA as soon as the fire started, sounding urgent and ordering all crew to their emergency stations. Shortly after, 7 short and one long horns were blown, ordering everyone to their lifeboat stations.

I'll let everyone know when I hear more

Thanks, Pattison, for the update. Sounds like a mess. We're leaving on the 4/30/06 transatlantic, so I was a bit concerned.

How awful that they're all still sitting at their muster stations. Wearing those life jackets all this time must be getting really, really old.

Oh dear, queenbead. Let's hope that most of the damage is just smoke damage, and they can work overtime to replace all the furnishings. Decks 10 and 11, that's Aloha and Lido, isn't it? Is your cabin anywhere near there?

Let's hope there is not fire damage on the Lido, though, that could be bad. Fingers crossed for all the folks on board.

I can't call my TA, he's on board Millie right now.

As I leave in two days yes I said Two days for the Star Princess, I called my TA in a panic he hadn't heard anything about it. He called princess (at least I Hope he did) and said the fire was contained to one cabin and everything is fine and will not affect the 3/26 sailing. Was sick to my stomach for awhile. Please post if anyone else hears from their TA

Sorry, just relaying what I hear from the boat... you know how confusing these things can be when you're in the middle of them. Perhaps the "120 rooms affected" means that those rooms are unsafe right now because of smoke. Plastic can create some really nasty chemicals when burned, so I'm sure they're just being on the safe side. I can definitely tell you, though, that it was enough smoke that you can smell it through much of the ship.

I hope everyone is ok. I actually have screenshots from the webcam last night that shows heavy smoke from the fire. They shut the webcam off at 3:21am ship time.

any chance you can post the webcam shots?

I want to but I'm gonna hold off on that until we're sure that all passengers are ok and Princess gives an official statement about the state of the ship.

However, since you obviously have a personal stake in this event, I'll email you a link to the screenshots.

Archived