sailing out of Baltimore?

Littlegoo75

I am curious, when a ship sails out of Baltimore, how do they get to the Atlantic? Do they have to sail under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge? I crossed it for the first time this weekend on the way to the beach, and it doesn't seem like there would be room for a ship to pass under it. Somebody clue me in.

??????????? November 2004

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

The ship does not go under the bridge - it goes over one of the tunnel sections of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel.

Debbie

envelope.gif

Join the Valor Voyagers on 6/12/05 as we sail the Western Caribbean - Click here for details

<font face='time new roman' color=ff0000><font size="2">

<marquee width=50%>Until the Valor Voyagers set sail</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;06;12;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 <font face='times new roman' color=0000ff><font size="2">

Triumph (Eastern) 05/00

Destiny (Southern) 04/02

Miracle (Bahamas) 05/04

Valor (Western) 06/04

Yes, they fit...barely...LOL! But they have to go under the Bay Bridge, unless they have wheels icon_biggrin.gif

Snowball, you're thinking of the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel in VA, different bridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too many days since the Legend (10/03)

Looking forward to Victory...6/04!!!

Yeah, I know that's what I was thinking when driving over that bridge. It didn't seem as though there was enough room for a ship to pass through there. It must be pretty cool crossing the bridge and seeing a huge cruise ship pass by underneath! I was also mistaken, I thought that the Miracle was a Conquest Class ship, but it's a Spirit class isn't it? I think I was confusing it with the Glory. I didn't think a Conquest Class ship would make it through there.

I would love to sail out of Baltimore, but after reading about how many locals have been bumped off of the ship, I'll just sail out of another place.

??????????? November 2004

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

They actually have three bridges to pass under. The Francis Scott Key bridge at the Baltimore Harbor entrance. There are two bridges that cross the Chesapeake between

Annapolis and Kent Island. One for eastbound traffic and one for westbound. The ships have between 15' and 25' of clearance under the bridges.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Beating the Winter Blues on the Legend

Tropicale 9/95, Sensation 9/97, Carnival Destiny 10/00, Fascination 3/02, Imagination 3/03, Carnival Legend 10/28/03, Carnival Triumph 3/13/04

Carnival Legend 3/19/05

We sailed the Legend out of Baltimore in October and had no problems, but I've been reading that people are having trouble this year!

Looking at a map right now.

Over 895 which is a tunnel

I believe 695 is a bridge

Under Bay Bridge (50)

Over Chesapeake Bay Bridge (13)

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

That's exactly it!

Bay Bridge is two lanes, but they are side by side and the same height (I believe).

I want them to schedule a ship sailing the same day as the annual Bay Bridge Walk...that would be great! (and never happen, I know)

Actually, you have three tunnels and three bridges. Ft. McHenry tunnel, Baltimore Harbor tunnel, Chesapeake Bay/Bridge tunnel in Va. plus the three bridges in my previous post.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Beating the Winter Blues on the Legend

Tropicale 9/95, Sensation 9/97, Carnival Destiny 10/00, Fascination 3/02, Imagination 3/03, Carnival Legend 10/28/03, Carnival Triumph 3/13/04

Carnival Legend 3/19/05

Archived