I already tried this on the ports boards....

On 7/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, mking8288 said:

FWIW, will be cruising Alaska at the end of August, not NCL however ... 10 nights out of Vancouver with Victoria being the last stop on the return.  Docking/arrival is 13:00 and all abroad is 21:30 for 22:00 to Vancouver for early morning disembarkation.  Not subject to PVSA, is my understanding and that ship pax can arrange to disembark with luggage and stay in Victoria, if they choose to & plan ahead with Cunard's approval.   

We also looked at the Sun's Alaska itinerary / option out of Seattle, WA ... 

With early Sunday afternoon arrival, multiple shorex options are available, including several with high tea experience included.  FYI only - this is one of them - 

City Drive & Tea at Pendray Inn

• 124.20 USD for adult
  • 0 USD for infant
  • 59.40 USD for children
  • Port Victoria, BC, Canad
  • Duration - 2.5 Hours
  • Activity level - low

Take a city drive through some of Victoria’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, Uplands and Oak Bay. Along the way, admire the stunning scenic views of Mount Baker and the Gulf and San Juan Islands from Victoria’s Marine Drive. A photograph stop will be made at Mt Tolmie to enjoy panoramic views of Victoria and its surrounding sea and mountain panoramas. In downtown Victoria's Inner Harbour area, you’ll pass by Chinatown and the magnificent Legislature building. One of Victoria’s iconic landmarks is the Pendray Inn and Tea House. This Victorian era manor captures the essence of Old Victoria's elegance, sophistication and charm. Built in 1890, it stands as one of the city's oldest buildings and today serves as a charming boutique hotel. Here, you’ll savour a selection of finger sandwiches, sumptuous sweet treats, and scones served with cream and jam, all accompanied by a welcome cup of tea.

This excursion will operate by coach. The dress code at Pendray Inn is smart casual. Ripped jeans, short shorts, cut off trousers, beach wear, flip flops or baseball caps are not permitted. For the comfort and consideration of all diners, the hotel requests that mobile phones are switched off during tea. The tea service is not exclusive to Cunard.

On 7/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, mking8288 said:

FWIW, will be cruising Alaska at the end of August, not NCL however ... 10 nights out of Vancouver with Victoria being the last stop on the return.  Docking/arrival is 13:00 and all abroad is 21:30 for 22:00 to Vancouver for early morning disembarkation.  Not subject to PVSA, is my understanding and that ship pax can arrange to disembark with luggage and stay in Victoria, if they choose to & plan ahead with Cunard's approval.   

We also looked at the Sun's Alaska itinerary / option out of Seattle, WA ... 

With early Sunday afternoon arrival, multiple shorex options are available, including several with high tea experience included.  FYI only - this is one of them - 

City Drive & Tea at Pendray Inn

• 124.20 USD for adult
  • 0 USD for infant
  • 59.40 USD for children
  • Port Victoria, BC, Canad
  • Duration - 2.5 Hours
  • Activity level - low

Take a city drive through some of Victoria’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, Uplands and Oak Bay. Along the way, admire the stunning scenic views of Mount Baker and the Gulf and San Juan Islands from Victoria’s Marine Drive. A photograph stop will be made at Mt Tolmie to enjoy panoramic views of Victoria and its surrounding sea and mountain panoramas. In downtown Victoria's Inner Harbour area, you’ll pass by Chinatown and the magnificent Legislature building. One of Victoria’s iconic landmarks is the Pendray Inn and Tea House. This Victorian era manor captures the essence of Old Victoria's elegance, sophistication and charm. Built in 1890, it stands as one of the city's oldest buildings and today serves as a charming boutique hotel. Here, you’ll savour a selection of finger sandwiches, sumptuous sweet treats, and scones served with cream and jam, all accompanied by a welcome cup of tea.

This excursion will operate by coach. The dress code at Pendray Inn is smart casual. Ripped jeans, short shorts, cut off trousers, beach wear, flip flops or baseball caps are not permitted. For the comfort and consideration of all diners, the hotel requests that mobile phones are switched off during tea. The tea service is not exclusive to Cunard.

That sounds like an interesting excursion that I would take but it's not a real high tea.  That would be afternoon tea.  My British friends educated me on the difference, though either would be acceptable for me.

Unfortunately, that is not offered for us and Pendray Inn closes before we dock.  It does look like there's a place called The Oaks Restaurant that is open late enough.  I'm in the process of finding out if they will serve afternoon tea in the evening.  They don't do a high tea.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:02 PM, GORDONCHICK said:

I am looking for information on specifically NCL excursion in Victoria BC for tea at the Fairmont Empress.  Many on the port board talked about the experience from not being on an exursion.  I'm trying to find out what the experience is on the excursion.  Is it a skimpy tea or a full tea experience?  The excursion info says iced tea, so I would like to know if it's been altered in other ways from their regular afternoon tea experience.  The excursion is in the evening - after the Empress offers afternoon tea.  Can anyone who has done this excursion through NCL post their experience please?

As others have suggested, Victoria is deserving of more of your vacation time than the brief stopover that foreign flagged cruise ships must perform in order to comply with the U.S. Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA).  An alternative might be to book an Alaska cruise which either sails from or to Vancouver.  That way you can spend a few days in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island (or both).  You also may want to venture into Alaska's interior in addition to sailing along the state's Southeast Panhandle.  You could visit Anchorage, explore Denali Park, and travel the scenic Alaska Railroad at one end of your cruise, then visit Butchart Gardens, have tea at the Empress, or explore Vancouver's Gastown at the other end of your cruise.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

As others have suggested, Victoria is deserving of more of your vacation time than the brief stopover that foreign flagged cruise ships must perform in order to comply with the U.S. Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA).  An alternative might be to book an Alaska cruise which either sails from or to Vancouver.  That way you can spend a few days in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island (or both).  You also may want to venture into Alaska's interior in addition to sailing along the state's Southeast Panhandle.  You could visit Anchorage, explore Denali Park, and travel the scenic Alaska Railroad at one end of your cruise, then visit Butchart Gardens, have tea at the Empress, or explore Vancouver's Gastown at the other end of your cruise.

First, thanks for not answering my question.

This is my 4th cruise to Alaska.  Two have sailed from Vancouver and we spent extra days there.  China Town, Gastown, Stanley Park including the aquarium, etc.  We've done one one-way and spent an additional 10 days inland in AK on our own.  We spent a few days inside Denali and actually saw Denali 4-5 times (only 30% of people who go actually get to see it), including white water rafting.  Went to the Iditarod training facility and played with the puppies.  Went to the Eklutna Village and spent a whole day at the Alaskan Native Heritage Center.  Etc, etc.

So been there, done that.  Have the t-shirts, Christmas ornaments and jackets.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

33 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

First, thanks for not answering my question.

This is my 4th cruise to Alaska.  Two have sailed from Vancouver and we spent extra days there.  China Town, Gastown, Stanley Park including the aquarium, etc.  We've done one one-way and spent an additional 10 days inland in AK on our own.  We spent a few days inside Denali and actually saw Denali 4-5 times (only 30% of people who go actually get to see it), including white water rafting.  Went to the Iditarod training facility and played with the puppies.  Went to the Eklutna Village and spent a whole day at the Alaskan Native Heritage Center.  Etc, etc.

So been there, done that.  Have the t-shirts, Christmas ornaments and jackets.

The mansplaining's strong with some. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

That sounds like an interesting excursion that I would take but it's not a real high tea.  That would be afternoon tea.  My British friends educated me on the difference, though either would be acceptable for me....

I lived in England for four years, and my British friends couldn't have cared less what the difference was. We didn't hang with the aristocracy.

5 hours ago, omahabob said:

I lived in England for four years, and my British friends couldn't have cared less what the difference was. We didn't hang with the aristocracy.

High tea isn't for the upper class or aristocracy like it sound.  It's actually for the working class, who are working during afternoon tea.  High tea is in the evening after work and is with savory dishes, not just little petite sandwiches.  It also has the sweets and tea components, too.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Brits I knew treated it that way, but said only the upper class referred to it that way. Doesn't really matter much unless you're picky about it.

Edited by omahabob