Games to take on your cruise

megessey

I'm getting set to go on my cruise, and am thinking of taking a few games with me. Anyone care to share suggestions for other cruisers? Looking for great games that are easy to pack or set up, great for the balcony, whatever you've done in the past -- let's hear it!

I for one, would like to suggest the 20Questions handheld game. If you haven't seen these, they're a little electronic advice that can guess what you're thinking of in 20 - 25 questions. Bought one for my nephew for christmas and then had to get one for myself. They're perfect for cruising because they're so small and lightweight--and very addicting!

Also, I think most cruiselines have chess or checkers, but do any of them carry any other board games like Scattergories?

Happy Cruising!

We always take our Phase 10 card game. This year we are adding a Train Dominoes game. We always find new friends to play with us, usually in the late evening out on deck. After dinner we go back to the room change into comfy clothes and head to the pool deck tables. :) Lots of relaxing fun.

We learned about a very fun game while on our first cruise. It is a dice game called LCR. (Left-Center-Right) It is very easy to learn to play. you can play with 3 to as many people as you want. We played with a group of 10 friends on the deck outside and we were having so much fun people kept walking by and looking in their daily newsletter to see if they had missed an activity.

Phase 10 (I better buy a new set - we play it so much on Sunday afternoon's that both of my decks are in pretty sad shape) and a deck of cards always go into my carry on. We have spent too many hours stranded in airports to be without some sort of entertainment.

Does anyone play crib anymore?

We also love domino's (but they are too heavy to take) and Yahtzee!

A couple of new games we play alot as a large family group is Apples to Apples and Loaded Questions. I always take the Loaded Questions along on road trips to stimulate conversation.

I would like to hear more about LCR!

Love 20 questions - It drives me nuts!

We love to play train dominos. We take our "double 9s" because they are not too heavy. On our last cruise (last month to Tahiti) I forgot the dominos and was so disappointed. We checked the game room and they only had the little plastic dominos (black with white dots). I like the different colors of dots -- that way I know immiediately that yellow is 6 and I don't have to count! We like to play dominos on the sea days out by the pool.

I for one, would like to suggest the 20Questions handheld game. If you haven't seen these, they're a little electronic advice that can guess what you're thinking of in 20 - 25 questions. Bought one for my nephew for christmas and then had to get one for myself. They're perfect for cruising because they're so small and lightweight--and very addicting!
That game is spooky -- HOW can it be right all the time? We always bring a couple small games on vacations.

LCR (Left - Center - Right) is just that. You can play with chips, coins, dollar bills, etc. Each person starts with 3 chips/coins/dollar bills (we played with dollar bills) There are 3 dice with either and L, C, R or DOT on the each face. Roll the dice. For each R pass a chip/coin/dollar bill to the person on your right. For each L, pass one to the person your left. For each C move one to the center pot. If you get a DOT, you get to keep your chip/coin/dollar bill. Once in the center the chip/coin/dollar bill does not come back out. The dice pass around the table to each person. If you only have two chips/coins/dollar bills you roll two dice. If you only have one chip/coin/dollar bill, then you only roll one die. If you have nothing left you do not roll, BUT you are still in the game. If the person on either side of you has chips/coins/dollar bills you may get one passed to you, then you are "back in the game baby!" The winner is the last person with a chip/coin/dollar bill. We had a group of 10 people, so the pot was only $30 to the winner. Each game took about 15-20 minutes to determine a winner and we played 3 games, so it cost $9 for an hour of fun for me. My fiance won a game so she made $24. If you have ever played craps, or seen a spirited game of craps it was like that. People shouting "left, left" or "right, right". We were playing at a table on the back deck outside Raffles on the Spirit after lunch and we were so loud and rambuncious that people would stop and look in their newsletter to see if they had missed an activity. Best thing is the game is sold in a small plastic tube with 3 dice and 15 chips (not sure about the # of chips) that is about 3" long. So the whole thing will fit in your pocket and is about the size of a small pen flashlight.

Uomo....

LCR sounds like a ton of fun! Where can I buy it? I want to get one before this weekend. It would be fun to play with the grandkids but using candy or bubblegum.

Thank you for describing it so well.

I think the only thing 20 questions didn't come up with was a some kind of rodeo gear that my son had in mind!

not to mention, amazingly accurate. i was surprised. :)

You should be able to get it at any game store at the mall. Or over the internet if you shop that way. I think you can even find it at Target.

As for the 20 questions game. That is actually a programming algorthm to show that everything can be determined from yes/no type questions. There have been lots of versions of this. One funniest ones I've seen was done by Burger King as a tie in for the Star Wars movies. Darth Vader will guess what you are thinking.

http://www.sithsense.com/flash.htm

So far the only one I can't believe the 20Q game didn't get was "BEER" -- try it out if you have the game. One of the last questions it asked was "Are there any popular songs about it?" We said yes, and then it guessed "Lotion"...... none of us could recall a single song about lotion! Wha'happon?

We tried again and it came up with "Wine", we figured oh well close enough :rolleyes:

Otherwise, its spooky accurate!

RE: Sudoku -- love love love it! especially super sudoku (16x16 grid, A-F & 0-9 ) Best for standing in line or waiting around.

Great suggestions everyone -- keep em coming!

A great game with at least 4 people is Catch Phrase. It is a game where you describe a word to your partner and your partner tries to guess the word. Once they guess the word you pass it to the other team and they do the same thing. Once the time runs up the people who do not have the handheld game get 1 point and they can get another point if they guess the word that the other team was trying to get. A great game and a lot of fun. Need at least 4 people to play.

I bought some Mad Libs to bring on our cruise, my boyfriend and I play it when we're board, and we get laughing so hard! Its a fun game. If your not familiar with it, Mad Libs are little stories, with some of the words taken out. There are two pages, one with the story, one where you fill in the words. But you don't see where the words go, you just ask the person for a adverb, noun, adjective, silly word, etc. Whatever will fit in the sentence. They come out really silly. Its alot of fun. :D They even had a Mad Libs vacation, thats the one I'm bringing. Should be good for the plane, and while waiting to get on the ship.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0843100559&itm=2

Heres one you can use on the web: http://www.madlibs.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived