Anyone Booking QM2 Transatlantic 2007?

njreo

Yes, let's ask the CD to post a meeting time and place in the schedule for us. I am sure they will accomodate us. As for dress, we are planning on doing sport jackets at least for dining, and tuxes for the two formal nights.

Andrew & Laurence

Andrew,

I am sure you will find several "card players" on board and will have lots of opportunity to indulge. As this is a "crossing" and not really a "cruise" activities will be much more tuned to relaxing and enjoying the days at sea.

I heard (from a source at RSVP) that All of the outside and balc cabins are gone and that there are only a handful of insides left I(whether thats true or not) so it should be almost full. I am not sure if it is true or not, but I had heard that Cunard required a certain number of passengers (in addition to prepaying for the entire ship) to be on board (I suppose protecting their on board revenue..ie Bars) They obviously had not heard how much the LGBT crowd spends on themselves. I would venture a guess that a ship half full of us would spend two to three times the amount in the bars/shops as a ful ship of their normal passengers.

Just my take on it all.

have fun, see you there

Ed 6178

Nobbi (and others interested in meeting our "kids") we will be in cabin 6249. Or, you can try catching us up in the kennel area; they are open either three or four times a day.

The kids are stressing a bit right now because as I am typing this, the packers are here packing up the house.

Just Booked Single, professional, 51, veteran cruiser, but this is my first gay cruise. The agent at RSVP said "They have a great Library" Interest in the library on a gay cruise? Maybe I am in the right place. In under the wire as they said they stopped selling yesterday. I guess we will see. FYI he says 90%sold. Dissapointed that they do not assign tables as I am traveling alone and that always makes the whole dinnertime thing easier when you are flying solo, but what the heck. Joey in 6217. Never had an inside cabin before so this should be interesting. I hear you sleep really well in them. Anyway hope to meet you all onboard.

Nobbi (and others interested in meeting our "kids") we will be in cabin 6249. Or, you can try catching us up in the kennel area; they are open either three or four times a day.

The kids are stressing a bit right now because as I am typing this, the packers are here packing up the house.

Wow! A move from TX to the UK! Well at least Bush's buddy will still be there when we arrive! :D

No, really.... Have a great journey. My parents have moved transatlantic from Germany to the States (1975) back to Germany (1981) back to the states (1987) back to Germany (1989). I've moved from Atlanta to SFO to North Central Florida to SFO. Then just across the Bay.

Moving's a pain in the butt.

Look forward to seeing you and all the other CC'ers. I'll compile a list of names with cabin numbers and hope that they will publish a meeting time/place for all of us....

I think I read on this string or another on here that the Commodore lounge is a cozy place to meet. Maybe we CC'ers could meet there! I play Spades and Hearts, Bridge (but really rusty now), and can learn anything else in a pinch, if anyone is interested.;)

As for dress, I'm glad to get the feedback. I don't have a tux anymore, but will bring one dark suit, and I guess a sport coat. During the day, what will most people be wearing? Khaki's and dress slacks? I don't want to pack a month's worth of clothes for 5 days, but it seems you need a pair of jeans for some of the dances...UGH and cowboy boots too? Are polo shirts okay during the day, or will most people be wearing button downs? And I guess a semi-heavy outer jacket for star-gazers? It's summer here in DC. I'm trying to guage how heavy the coat should be.:confused:

For Andrew, I have never been on a cruise, but have many friends who have been, and they have told me unsavory tales of inappropriate sex, drugs, and rock&roll in nooks and crannies all over these RSVP voyages. I was really put off by the thought of thongs at breakfast, and guys groping in the corners, but I think ---I hope --- the QM2 will attract a different crowd, or at least encourage more subtle behavior. Then again, they may have been exagerating what they may have seen one time at 2AM after a night of partying! Hey, also, they have Friend of Bill meetings several times, if you haven't seen the schedule. Check it out.

Being single and 48, and not into the "gay scene" as it were, I was somewhat circumspect about going on this cruise. But I have always wanted to do an Atlantic crossing at some point, and figured going solo on a straight cruise would feel weird. It sounds like this one is going to have a lot of different folks on it, and there seem to be more than a few postings here by guys around my age, so I figure I won't feel like one of the ship's elders, sitting in the corner by myself.:rolleyes:

To enhance the nerd factor, I have to admit that I am in the middle of watching a video series on astronomy, and can't wait for the planetarium shows! I didn't realize they had a cut-off date for booking. I guess I made it just under the wire! I faxed my stuff on the 15th of May, and the fax number didn't work, so I tried an alternate number in Minnesota. Then it took a day before I could talk to a live person to see if they got it. They tell me they did, but I haven't received an e-mail confirmation or anything...so I'm hoping I have a cruise to go on when I get to New York! :o

BTW, what are people wearing to the Ascot Ball? I've never been to a black&white party....and I don't imagine dress slacks and a work shirt are what people really wear! I willing to go out and buy clothes for this voyage, but I haven't had much luck tyring to be hip. If I ever meet any of you, ask me about the time I wore underwear on a coast-to-coast flight, to the grocer's, a doctor's office, home depot, church! I realized I was really out of the loop when I found out much later that I didn't know the difference between fashionable summer shorts and boxer briefs!:eek:

Whoa Ras, slow down. First of all, dress anyway you want, there are 2 formal nights and the rest are casual (think slacks and a collared shirt). During the day it will be just like any other mainstream cruise ship, jeans/shorts/t-shirts/polos/blah blah blah. Remember to bring some warm clothes as well because it is the North Atlantic and early spring.

As far as the sex drugs and rock and roll you mentioned, I have been on 5 RSVP cruises and believe me when I say the incidents of the above are few and far between. I do think there are more incidents of abuse on the short caribbean and Mexico cruises that draw a totally different crowd. I have heard that Atlantis cruises are much worse in this arena, but have absolutely NO proof whatsoever. My experience with RSVP has always been on the more expensive cruises (alaska/med etc.) so with the higher prices and the many customs and immigration to deal with, you do get a somewhat different crowd.

You will have a great time and meet lots of guys both single and coupled, it will be fine.

Ed/Jeff 6178

You know the minute my credit card went through they emailed me a confirmation with a booking number and a cabin number etc. I would call and check to make sure all is OK. You wouldn't want to miss all the fun..... Anway I spoke to a guy named Georg Lester his email is [georg.lester@planetoutinc.com] if you want to confirm with him. I reached him by phone on the 800 number. He is San fran and is there until 6pm ca time. Anyway I am such a worry wart dude!!!!!

Yippee! My trip and Continental airfare both posted on my credit card today, so I guess I'm official now!

I have some fatigues for the transport party (no dress whites, unfortunatley). Don't own a piece of leather...I do have a BAD DOG tee shirt with a cartoon pic of a dog with a studded-leather collar! I guess that's gonna have to do for leather party! What, however, is a cockney party? Is it okay if I just show up with a really bad London accent? :confused:

I've done some compiling of self-acknowledged CC'ers on this crossing for the benefit of anyone who cares. Hope no one feels violated!

CC'ers on board:

Darrell & Erik (Darrell6t): Cabin 6137

Joey (Joey821): Cabin 6217

Misty Moo & family: Cabin 6249

Ed & Jeff (aaerobear): Cabin 6178

Andrew & Laurence (Caliber35): Cabin 11.114

Nobbi & Aaron (Nobbi): Cabin 9031

Andrew & Jerry (AndrewDawson11): Cabin 5237

Jamie (Bayotter): Cabin 6166

Howard (Pinstrip): Cabin 6166

Todd (LUVBoat): Cabin 4092

Brian (Raskolnikov): Cabin 10.035

Bob (Travelingman47) Cabin: 6109, moved to Deck 11, then to...er...Wherever...IT'S THE BEST PLACE IN THE HOUSE! I suggest a big party there!!!! :D

Best-kept secrets:

Bob's 5 friends: As yet unrevealed! (hints?)

Bob & Craig (CoolBlueWater): They ain't sayin!

Mark & Donny (M&D): Wantin' a little privacy?

Kip & Ken (Kalypso333): Special "K's"?

Mike & Andrew & 14 TEXANS:eek: !! You'll find 'em on the two-steppin floor!

Joe & Ivan: Trying to avoid 3AM knocks on the door?

Kevin62 and 2 friends: They'll be the Kool ones at the party

There are a heck of a lot of Andrews going on this trip and on this board! Hope we can keep 'em straight...er....never mind! It also looks like deck 6 is where all the cc'ool folks are staying!:cool:

Hope they overnight my docs.... I'm on the road right now and will only be in DC for a few days next week before departure. Oh the stress! Oh the torment! Why am I doing this to myself??? HA! :p

brian 10.035

You aren't alone in the no uniform or leather situation. I can't see myself in camouflage and my leather wardrobe is very limited, none to be exact. I bought for formal evenings and it doesn't seem like we will have many. Oh well, I guess it's off to Mr. S.

Thanks for the list, Brian. I had made one for myself, but it was not as organized, so I copied yours.

Since we are flying out of LAX on Monday morning at 6:30, we are staying at an airport hotel the night before on Sunday. But we are having Sunday brunch in Long Beach with some friends on the original Queen Mary. That's when this trip begins for us!

Just a reminder guys, please register with Cunard online http://www.cunard.com.

They have "most" of your information but not all of it and NOT your Creditcard number. It will save a lot of time at the pier if you preregister online.

Just look for the "Voyage personaliser" box on the home page (left had side near the middle)

Ed/Jeff

How does one list all one's previous cruises so that they come up each time you leave a message?

That area is called your "signature". Look up under the Cruise Critic logo and find the link that says "User CP". Click on that and look for "edit signature" area where you can put whatever you want. Play around with it for a bit and ask if you have any problems.

Just a hello to the CC folks - I've been lurking for a couple months and decided to (finally) sign up....

I'm single, traveling solo, and just got confirmed a couple weeks ago.

I'm going to NY on Memorial Day and will show up at the Splash pre-party, though I've heard those tend to be preety lame. I'll be staying near Times Square.

Afterward, I'll be in London for 5 nights - I scored a Priceline hotel at a decent price, so that made it do-able.

Anybody else sticking around for awhile afterward?

cheers,

David

Just a hello to the CC folks - I've been lurking for a couple months and decided to (finally) sign up....

I'm single, traveling solo, and just got confirmed a couple weeks ago.

I'm going to NY on Memorial Day and will show up at the Splash pre-party, though I've heard those tend to be preety lame. I'll be staying near Times Square.

Afterward, I'll be in London for 5 nights - I scored a Priceline hotel at a decent price, so that made it do-able.

Anybody else sticking around for awhile afterward?

cheers,

David

Welcome David. Be sure to share your stateroom number, or jot down some from the boards here, if you would like to meet up with any of us on the ship. There are a number of us singles here of all ages.

My shipmate and I are staying for 3 nights in London. I am sure a lot of guys are staying on a few days there. As you meet guys on board, you will find someone to meet up with in London, or head out to the pubs and meet some locals.

Jamie (6166)

Question for everyone else... does anyone know if the QM2 has plugs on it that need those converters or is the ship compatible with American electric outlets. The same question goes for being in a chain hotel in London. Anyone know?

Andrew,

This is going to be my first sailing on he QM2, however from reading posts on the Cunard forum for a while it is my understanding that the cabins do have both types of outlets. Depending on how many electrical items you need to plug in it may be a good idea to bring along an inexpensive power strip.

I was on the QM2 shortly after it launched, and yes, there are American style outlets in each cabin. I haven't been on a ship yet that didn't have them, even river cruisers in Europe...

They may not be placed everywhere you'd want them, though - I remember needing to charge the electric razor on the desk, but they're there.

David.

Thanks for the tip re dress codes for parties. I'm trying to pack as little as possible and this helps muchly. I looked at your website and Island Manor House looks amazing..........I guess one just adds ones website to the start up page of cruise critic, right?

Hi, all. Sorry to get to this party late!

I'm an experienced Atlantis + RSVP cruiser -- I think my total tally is 3 Atlantis and 6 RSVP. I'll be traveling alone this time, balcony cabin on Deck 11. I have a few friends on the crossing, but always up for meeting others.

I don't have my tickets yet, so I guess a call to Cunard is in order for tomorrow!!

The suggestion of taking a power strip really is a good one in general for cruises. Depending on how many laptops, mobile phones, digi camaras, ipods, etc. one takes, usually there aren't enough convenient outlets.

The suggestion of taking a power strip really is a good one in general for cruises. Depending on how many laptops, mobile phones, digi camaras, ipods, etc. one takes, usually there aren't enough convenient outlets.

Come now, Nobbi! This is a six day cruise. I'll be leaving all the equipment at home and be bringing my best party outfits instead...LOL

Thanks Traveling Man for the comments on my B&B's website. It's a lot of work, that's for sure. Both on the website maintenance and on the business.

Anyway, this might have already been discussed previously but I'm guessing there is not going to be much of sitting outside in the sun on this cruise because it will be too cool. Is it safe to say that and that temperatures out on the ship's deck will be like 50 degrees? I called Cunard and asked this guy that answered and he was clueless which was kind of ridiculous!

And are there going to be pools open/hot tubs?

There was one thing I really liked about my Celebrity Constellation cruise and that was they had these awesome steam rooms that you could pay for the package and experience different climates and scents and such. Does this cruise have that?

Yes, Andrew, you are right, the temps will be in the 50's, so not much outdoor activity. There is one inside pool, one covered pool and a fantastic steam/sauna/spa area that is extra charge. Love to get Hot and Steamy with the Men onboard! See you there...

Come now, Nobbi! This is a six day cruise. I'll be leaving all the equipment at home and be bringing my best party outfits instead...LOL

:) I'm just addicted to my laptop. Always take it. After all, I need to keep up with CruiseCritic! I'll be taking our nephew to Paris for 3 nights afterwards, so I need my phone. And the camera, of course.

I'm using the Cunard/DHL service to have the tux/suit/etc. shipped. My only party outfit will be my leather vest and pants. (I'm taking my other party outfit, my birthday suit, with me personally. :D Come to think of it, I will be onboard for my birthday!

Yes, Andrew, you are right, the temps will be in the 50's, so not much outdoor activity. There is one inside pool, one covered pool and a fantastic steam/sauna/spa area that is extra charge. Love to get Hot and Steamy with the Men onboard! See you there...

This will be my third cruise. So far, they have been in warm climes. It'll be a change to have it cold. But a hot tub should be nice even when it's cold outside.

And the sauna! :p

Archived