Victory cruise to Canada

Lwilmot

If you are a Titanic nut like myself, go to the Cemetary in Halifax where they buried a lot of her passengers. Its quite chilling. Have fun!

Mike

Ecstasy 5/94

Fantasy 5/96

Sensation 5/97

Holiday 10/98

Fascination 5/99

Triumph 9/99

Inspiration 9/00

Spirit 5/01

Victory 10/01

Triumph 9/02

Legend 5/03

We'll be on Victory sailing 9-25-04, NY to Halifax.

As well would like the review from those going before we are.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Victory New York to Halifax 09/25/2004 Cruise

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

***So Glad To Be Back Cruise Again

Ship.gif Carnival Victory New York to Canada

The Victory is a great ship and you should enjoy it tremendously. I'll try to give you a few things I remember from my 7 day NE/Canada cruise.

1. Boston - taxi into town from port was $10. We went to Quincy's Market area. Lots of street musicians, street vendors, and all the bars had football games on. Festive atmosphere. Some went on the Salem Witch excursion, but complained that it wasn't worth it.

2. Portland - Nice town, friendly people. There is a bus that you can catch and I don't recall the number, but it was about $7.50 per person and it made a route all through town. You could get on/off as much as you like and use it all day. It picks up/drops off at the pier. We spent most of our time downtown shopping.

3. Sydney - Not a lot here to me. A seaport town, old, rustic, and salty, but with lots of charm. Town is within walking distance of the pier.

4. Halifax - I don't know if the city still operates it, but there was a bus known as "FRED", which was an acronym for "Free Rides Everywhere Downtown." Like the bus in Portland, it takes a specified loop route through town. Get on/off at your pleasure. Picks up/drops off at the pier. Titanic museum is in Halifax. I thought that was interesting. It has several artifacts from the Titanic (Halifax was chosen as a temporary morgue for the Titanic passengers).

I don't remember if it was Sydney or Halifax, but much ado was made about an excursion to a lighthouse that also contains a post office. I don't recall the name of the place, but our tablemates took that excursion and were really upset about it. They stated there were so many buses and people there that is was hard to enjoy it. The trip down is about an hour and of course, about an hour back. They stated that because of the traffic and people and the time alloted for the excursion, their total time at this lighthouse was only 15 minutes before having to start back in order to make it back to the ship before departure.

We went in the latter part of September and although Carnival markets this as their "fall foliage" cruise, fall colors were basically non-existent, so don't expect to wowed by that. However, the old houses on land and the lighthouses make for a beautiful Canadian shoreline. Postcard quality type pictures can be made from the ship.

The weather was cool, some rain, but nothing major. We did get into a couple of storms at sea that prevented us from really untilizing our balcony, which was a great disapointment. But, overall, the cruise was great.

I'm not even going to get into the problems at the NY pier embarking and debarking. I can only say I trust there has been major improvements. But, I'll leave it to someone else to give you an up-to-date report on the pier operations.

Hope this helps!!!

Facation Fanatic

Fantasy - 6/02 Bahamas

Fantasy - 12/02 Bahamas

Victory - 9/03 NE/Canada

Sovereign of the Seas - 1/04 Bahamas

Sovereign of the Seas - 4/04 Bahamas

Carnival Glory to the Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

I will on the Victory on 9-11-04. Would anyone be able to help us out with Hotel idea's. We will be flying into LaGuardia the Night before.

We are considering just staying at a Hotel close to LaGuardia and then reserving a Shuttle Service to the Pier in the morning!?!

Anyone have any other idea's that they would like to share.

Mike

Azure Seas 01/88

Century (Eastern) 11/02

Century (Western) 05/03

Horizon (Ultimate) 12/03

Victory (N.E.,Canada)9/04

Zenith (So. Carribean) 12/04

If I were you, I would not stay in a hotel near LaGuardia - I would just pick one midtown and then take a cab or see if the hotel has a shuttle that might take you to the pier. The cab ride shouldnt be more than $20 max from the hotel to the pier. Check Priceline for great deals on midtown hotels - dont ask for anything under 4 stars b/c they MAY give you a hotel without private bathrooms.

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan before one cruise, and the Renaissance Times Square another. From that area the cab was less than $10 (before tip).

Mike

Ecstasy 5/94

Fantasy 5/96

Sensation 5/97

Holiday 10/98

Fascination 5/99

Triumph 9/99

Inspiration 9/00

Spirit 5/01

Victory 10/01

Triumph 9/02

Legend 5/03

Thinking about taking this cruise in August. Anyone care to share a review? Thanks.

Vinnie

Vinnie from Brooklyn, NY

Grand Princess - December, 2001

Carnival Destiny - February, 2002

Crystal Harmony - July, 2002

Carnival Triumph - September, 2002

Dawn Princess - December, 2002

Grand Princess - March, 2003

Celebrity Zenith - July, 2003

Crystal Symphony - December, 2003

Celebrity Constellation - February, 2004

Celebrity Zenith - July, 2004

And always open for suggestions and recommendations!!

By the way, who is the Cruise Director on the Victory for the Canada sailings?

Vinnie

Vinnie from Brooklyn, NY

Grand Princess - December, 2001

Carnival Destiny - February, 2002

Crystal Harmony - July, 2002

Carnival Triumph - September, 2002

Dawn Princess - December, 2002

Grand Princess - March, 2003

Celebrity Zenith - July, 2003

Crystal Symphony - December, 2003

Celebrity Constellation - February, 2004

Celebrity Zenith - July, 2004

And always open for suggestions and recommendations!!

mdavisww,

We will be staying at the sheraton you stayed at on 7th ave at 51st, before our cruise in September.

Can you tell us a little about it and what is close for eating etc. Also do you remember a grocery store close by?

Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

MarcyJane,

In that location you will always have a plethora of dining choices. The legendary Carnegie Deli being one of them. If you've not been then you have to go there to get an enormous sandwich. Its just up 7th around 55th or so, so its close by. There is another Deli across the street, maybe Stage Deli? Anyway, there are a million restaurants nearby. As for stores, you won't find a legitimate grocery store, but I remember there was a little store/deli nearby where we got breakfast a couple of times. They would have the essentials, but its hardly a grocery store. Hope I helped a little. Its a great location, you'll like it.

Mike

Ecstasy 5/94

Fantasy 5/96

Sensation 5/97

Holiday 10/98

Fascination 5/99

Triumph 9/99

Inspiration 9/00

Spirit 5/01

Victory 10/01

Triumph 9/02

Legend 5/03

Thanks mdavisww,

This will be our first time to sail out of New York, so we are looking so forward to seeing the city and the sites.

I know I'll just cry when I see the Statue of Liberty.

Thanks for the info I see you got a cab to the pier, does the hotel not have shuttle bus or van that would take you to the pier? As for the "grocery store", we just thought we might pick up some Mt. Dew's etc.

Thanks again.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

I don't think there would be a shuttle. You'll find that New York is unlike any other place you've been probably. Not bad, just different. Sailing down the Hudson is absolutely indescribable. We've sailed past lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty three times. Once Prior to 9/11 and twice after. It doesn't get any easier. Don't get me wrong, its an incedibly beautiful experience, but also very emotional if you are an American. Plan on being outside for an hour or so after sailing to take it all in through the bridge.

Mike

Ecstasy 5/94

Fantasy 5/96

Sensation 5/97

Holiday 10/98

Fascination 5/99

Triumph 9/99

Inspiration 9/00

Spirit 5/01

Victory 10/01

Triumph 9/02

Legend 5/03

mdavisww,

Thanks so much for the information, and I can't wait to see New York and sail away with all the sites we will see.

One of my best friends and myself are going and we just decided a few weeks ago to fly in a day early to see a little of New York since we didn't know if either one of us would ever get back there again and thought be better take advantage of it.

She doesn't know this yet, but I have reserved a limo to pick us up at the pier and take us on a tour before we check in the hotel. My DH told me to search for a tour etc. and I did so I found one at a pretty reasonable price, so DH said book it and that's my treat for the two of you and we decided not to tell her, she's going to be so excited. icon_biggrin.gif

It's so hard for me to keep it a secret, but I will, just to see the look on her face when the guy standing therein the baggage pick up area with a sign "Welcome to New York" with our names on it.

One question how were your hotel rooms?? Could you see a lot of the city from you hotel window?

If you can think of anything else close to the Shearton that we need to check out, just feel free to email me or post here.

Again thanks for everything.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

marcyjane, my email is spridlewv@hotmail.com Feel free to email me, I couldn't find your address anywhere.

We actually got pretty lucky with our view at that particular hotel and had a corner room that looked up broadway right down at Letterman's theatre. So that was pretty cool. Actually that was probably the best view we've had from any nyc hotel. But of course, like I said, we got very lucky.

Just returned yesterday from a long weekend in NYC. Stayed at the Millenium Broadway and were quite pleased with it.

Well, write back with more questions, New York is one of my favorite topics. :-)

Mike

Mike

Ecstasy 5/94

Fantasy 5/96

Sensation 5/97

Holiday 10/98

Fascination 5/99

Triumph 9/99

Inspiration 9/00

Spirit 5/01

Victory 10/01

Triumph 9/02