Symphony of the Seas-Late August cruise during Hurricane Season to Nassau

travelbugforever

We are going on a cruise to the Bahamas the last week of August. I am getting concerned

as I have never been on a ship during hurricane season. I read the ships do their best to

avoid the hurricane and either outrun the hurricane or stay to the peripheral of it. If someone

has been in this situation, please advise. I plan on getting a prescription for sea sickness but

I am concerned about the children with us, and rough seas.  Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on a cruise thru a hurricane and one thru a blizzard and had lots of fun on both of them! The chance a hurricane will hit when and where you are going is actually quite small. You are on a very big ship that will be able to ride out any storms that they can't navigate around. One of our favorite memories is from the blizzard cruise. We had an outside cabin on one of the lowest decks. During the storm my daughter and I loved watching the seas break on the windows!

I get motion sickness so badly that I can actually make myself sick in stop and go traffic.

I take meclizine(Bonine) at night starting 24 - 48 hours before I start travelling. I also take regular Dramamine with me for break thru nausea. With those two drugs I'm fine! Scopolamine (the patch) is a strong drug and can have some nasty side effects. The cheapest way to get meclizine is thru Amazon where you can get 100 tablets for under $10. You'll pay more than that in a pharmacy. If you are already sick Dramamine is better, but it's shorter acting. Bonine is great for prevention.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Susan,

You made my day with your response. I never expected to hear such joy in a blizzard

or hurricane. Thanks for the good laugh. I will try Bonine. I always bring Dramamine and

end up throwing it out as, thankfully, I have never been in rough seas where I needed it. It always expires before the next planned cruise. Currently, I am watching how the cruises handle Hurricane Beryl . The cruise lines are changing their itineraries. I have decided to enjoy the cruise, bring meds and not worry. 

I cannot imagine how the people in the islands affected are able to handle the loss. It's so

sad.