Have the Botanical Gardens been "Refreshed"?

HLR

Has anyone been to the Botanical Gardens in Hamilton recently? It is said that they have been let go and it is not worth a visit. I travel in 2 1/2 weeks to Bermuda on the Eclipse.

Howard

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2024 at 10:25 PM, HLR said:

Has anyone been to the Botanical Gardens in Hamilton recently? It is said that they have been let go and it is not worth a visit. I travel in 2 1/2 weeks to Bermuda on the Eclipse.

Howard

I saw this post too late to respond, and was wondering if you had gone anyway. We were there in March on a single day trip, and the gardens were being worked on, and very little was in bloom. A resident told me that they had fallen into disrepair after the Portuguese family that had been caretakers stopped tending them.  She also said that there were some who were trying to pick up the slack.

All of this is hearsay, so I was wondering if there was any more recent news. 

5 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

I saw this post too late to respond, and was wondering if you had gone anyway. We were there in March on a single day trip, and the gardens were being worked on, and very little was in bloom. A resident told me that they had fallen into disrepair after the Portuguese family that had been caretakers stopped tending them.  She also said that there were some who were trying to pick up the slack.

All of this is hearsay, so I was wondering if there was any more recent news. 

Hello!

Here's the scoop! I walked over from the Hamilton Ferry and it was a nice and pleasant walk.

The "Gardens" were park like and well kept...however I can't really say it is a Botanical Garden.

IF....the specialty gardens were well kept than I would have been happier. There was a small walled garden that had promise with a small pond in the middle....it needed weeding badly. There is a large what looked like vegetable garden....mayby 1/4 of an acre....it looked 1/4 tended... There are aviarys which look like they were abandoned many years ago and are crumblijng and decaying.

The cafe was open, though I didn't go in. I think it took 35 minutes to walk over...aprx. 2.2 miles. I walked around for 15 minutes...and then headed back. If I had had a hefty garbage bag I would have loved to weed that little walled garden!

Howard