St Anthony, Newfoundland

Our ship is there for a day (July 13), their excursions have sold out. Is there anything we can do independently, just walk around the town area perhaps? Anyone knows of tours operating out of the pier?

Thanks for your input.

We visited last year with no tour available as well. It felt like St. Anthony is a pretty small setting without many tourism services to summon, so unfortunately transportation and tours awaiting and available at tender pier are highly unlikely from what I've experienced and seen. There's not much of a 'town center' - the main road along the water is what it is. In the chance that you haven't yet checked your Roll Call, you may want to see if there's any independent organization and space left over to L'Anse aux Meadows.

If you and yours are open to some extended walking, I will note that you can absolutely make a pretty good day of it in amenable weather just enjoying the scenic environs available. Fishing Point Municipal Park is a bit of a walk away (I'd estimate at least 30 minutes one way if not more depending on walking speeds), but well worth it for the cliff views, small trails, and whale watching platforms. If stairs aren't an issue, you can actually ascend up 400 steps on Dare Devil Trail to be rewarded with some more lovely views from above and additional light trails/viewpoints to hike as you feel open to. That area is what I'd recommend for a reasonable way to get some scenery and see a highlight. I highly encourage you to check up on your footwear for the day, especially if your plans sprawl a little further with the hiking - the trails overall are pretty well maintained, but you'll potentially encounter a lot of different walking conditions (wooden stairs, dirt paths, dewy grass, loose dirt, gravel, road and roadside, etc.). (Obligatory warning: The map of local trails available from the tourist information booth does not correctly depict the scope of the American Base Trail.)

If you're indeed on the Zuiderdam for your visit, the ship anchored out just a little bit beyond Fishing Point on our voyage with the tender point at Carlson Drive off West St - that will hopefully give you an idea of the distance involved. Fishing Point will be heading back out towards the open water; walking the other way down West Street inwards will eventually yield... a small shopping center and Tim Horton's. (Much closer to the tender point are the Visitor's Center/shop, what seemed like a grocery, and RagnaRock Northern Brewing, if that's more in line with a brief stop you're looking for.)

I hope this helps to give you a bit more info to work with in considering your day for St. Anthony!