from waves to wheels

• 2 weeks later...

I'd use Costco if you're a member - I've never found lower rates at any major company, and Costco rentals always include a second driver free with the only proviso being licensed and 25+ years old. If you're not a Costco member, try Kayak's comparative car rentals - like Costco it compares the major companies and you can select multiple locations at a time, so you can find out if e.g. picking up a rental from the same company out at the airport is cheaper than downtown or vice versa.

All the biggies have a downtown office - a short cab ride, or even just walking a few blocks, might get you a much better price than the franchise right at the pier.

I'd also be doing you a disservice if I didn't mention that unless you want to visit out-of-town attractions, a car might be more hassle than its worth! There's a ton of walkable attractions within the downtown core, transit is cheap and frequent, strategic use of cabs or rideshares can be cheaper than transit per person if there are a few of you to fill the seats, no parking fees or trouble finding spaces if you don't have a car, and it also removes the biggest factor in you becoming a crime statistic - theft from cars is endemic throughout downtown and even at out of town spots with big car parks! If you do decide to rent one, never leave anything behind in the car that is visible from outside or there's a decent chance you'll return to a broken window and your items missing...