Excursions in April

maxandmolly

DH and I are looking to book the Carnival Spirit for April. I know not everything will be in season that early. I know there will not be salmon running. But what about whales?  I really want to go whale watching but are they in the area that early in the season?  What else might we miss out on by going so early in the season?

Just now, Travelight said:

We are also cruising next April on HAL. I would love to take an excursion into Tracy Arm. I was also wondering what will be available. 

This is a concern for me too. Is whale watching available in April or is it too early in the season?  I posted on the port of call board but got no responses so far. 

16 minutes ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Cruise critic guide per month for Alaska has something for April.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/the-best-time-to-cruise-alaska-a-month-by-month-guide

Essentially, it depends on where you are going.   Some areas may have too much snow, while others it's ok.

Great article!  Thanks for the link. I think we’re going to go in June rather than April. 

We sailed Alaska the last week of April and 1st week of May 2023.  The weather was incredible with the exception of the Hubbard Glacier day which was raining and foggy but still beautiful.  In Skagway we did the White pass/Yukon Railroad and every mountain an hillside was snow covered.  Icy Strait we saw may whales from our balcony and while walking in port.  In Juneau we did whale watching with Harv and Marv and many whales there as well.  Glacier Bay was exceptional with the snow coverage.

The first 4 photos are Glacier Bay.  The whale pictures were taken from our balcony while we were docked in Icy Strait Point.  The last picture is the WP/Yukon Railroad.  

We are headed back to Alaska in August but would not hesitate to visit again in late April.

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

20230506_093645.jpg

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG